Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Removal

Sorry for the dumb question but how do you remove the radiator from a 2002 firebird, V8?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Remove the intake lid and MAF. remove intake base/upper radiator bracket (2 10mm bolts on either side of intake 4 total). Remove both coolant lines on upper and lower portion of radiator with either a clamp remover or channel locks (make sure and put clamps back in same place on install they will leak at times if they sit on different spots). Remove transmission lines (if applicable). lift radiator carefully about 2" and move towards the back of the car. remove 2 10mm bolts from condenser on bottom tabs and slide condenser up to release from radiator. Lift and carefully remove radiator. Be careful with radiator as they are easily damaged.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont forget to drain a couple gals of coolant. i like how easy these come off our cars. i can get mine off in bout half an hour now.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When replacing, be sure that the tabs on the fans go all the way in, and that the AC condenser slides in completely as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM

I've read in the GM shop manual that you need to evac the ac system and remove the condenser and radiator together. Is this true, or can the radiator be removed by itself, leaving the ac untouched? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you do not need to evac. the ac and remove the condenser to pull the radiator out. You have enough room to move the condenser out of the way, just be careful not to bend the lines to much and break them
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

I did my radiator last April. It wasn't that bad to do by yourself. Don't mess with the ac at all just be careful like undertow said. Got my radiator from adv auto for $110 with lifetime warranty!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thompson
Remove the intake lid and MAF. remove intake base/upper radiator bracket (2 10mm bolts on either side of intake 4 total). Remove both coolant lines on upper and lower portion of radiator with either a clamp remover or channel locks (make sure and put clamps back in same place on install they will leak at times if they sit on different spots). Remove transmission lines (if applicable). lift radiator carefully about 2" and move towards the back of the car. remove 2 10mm bolts from condenser on bottom tabs and slide condenser up to release from radiator. Lift and carefully remove radiator. Be careful with radiator as they are easily damaged.
Bumping this thread from the dead.

What about the fan assembly, it looks like it just slides into place. Is there a bolt holding it to the rad I can't see? I'm afraid to snap some brittle plastic if there is a bolt holding it.

I've been working on flushing out the dex-cool sludge in my car and have drained the rad several times over the last week without issue and today nothing came out the drain plug when I removed it, I think I've clogged up the below the hoses section of the rad and need to remove it for complete cleaning.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Bumping this thread from the dead.

What about the fan assembly, it looks like it just slides into place. Is there a bolt holding it to the rad I can't see? I'm afraid to snap some brittle plastic if there is a bolt holding it.

I've been working on flushing out the dex-cool sludge in my car and have drained the rad several times over the last week without issue and today nothing came out the drain plug when I removed it, I think I've clogged up the below the hoses section of the rad and need to remove it for complete cleaning.
there isnt any bolts holding on the fan assembly.. just 4 slots on the radiator that the fan slides onto... its a tight fit so some rubber mallet persuasion may be necessary
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

YES, there are MANY steps in the procedures described in the Helms shop manual which are not necessary for MANY repairs.

Another example is the manual telling you that one must drop the WHOLE rear axle assembly in order to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump (for those who do not just cut the hole in the hatch floor). This DOES NOT need to be done in order to drop the fuel tank!!

I think those extra steps are put in there as BUILT IN time spending/money making excuses for the stealerships.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info here will use it next weekend for my LT1 radiator.
The following users liked this post:
Vincent Wright (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Radiator Removal