General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power window motor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window motor???

The motor works , but it doesnt move the window. When the problem fist cam about the window was going up then it stopped going up about a quarter inch from being closed. If I push the button to operate the widow you can hear the motor working but nothing happens. I was thinking maybe the gear on the motor is worn but not sure . I wanted to get everones ideas before I go tearing the motor out .
Thanks
Tom
Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoka Stang
I was thinking maybe the gear on the motor is worn
not really possible, but your motor gear may be becoming disengaged with the regulator. When this happens, can you tug up on the glass? What happens? Does it move?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for responding . Yeah, I can move the window up and down by hand
Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

you need a new regulator. i got a barley used one for $20
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

How bad is that to change?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

just drill some rivits out. and i would replace them with rivits but alot of people replace them with bolt and nut instead. because you need a big rivit gun. (the big daddy)
Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Do I have to remove the motor assembly to get the regulator out . thank you for your help. I may take up on your regulator offer.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

what im selling is everything motor and regulator. im switching to manual windows so im sell the whol thing as one and no just pull the whole regulator out and put a new one in its spot. dont have to touch the motor
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Do I have to remove the motor assembly to get the regulator out . thank you for your help. I may take up on your regulator offer.
Before you go further, you should confirm the actual problem. The regulator could be perfectly fine.

If you have over an inch of space between the glass and the top of the door, then - 90% of the time, this problem is caused by an improperly installed replacement motor in the past. The factory motor was riveted to the regulator but a lot of people bolt the replacement motor to the regulator. These bolts can vibrate/come loose and cause the two to disengage. Fixing the problem could be as simple as tightening the bolts that attach the two together. Damage to the regulator usually only happens when this condition goes on for a long time.

If your glass comes pretty close to the top of the door, you could have an entirely different problem. (You will want to wish for the situation above.)

Regardless, you'll need to take the door panel off to figure out what's going on. With the door panel off, watch the regulator rivets in the door and make sure they don't move at all. If not, then you'll need to get an inspection mirror in the door and look at the motor/regulator attachment.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Teching In

I have the door panel off . There arent any access holes drilled where the motor attaches so Im not sure that motor has been replaced that way atleast. It does seem like the motor has moved because the motor doesnt seem like it has any resistance on it , thats why I was thinking may it wore the gear out or something. There were 2 rivets that were loose thats what I thought the problem was at first.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Save the manuals!

I have the door panel off . There arent any access holes drilled where the motor attaches so Im not sure that motor has been replaced that way atleast.
There are several methods for replacing the motor, one involves not using access holes and removal of the regulator. This, if not done properly causes more issues.

Which rivets are loose? Are they the rivets that you can see on the door panel? If the rivets you can see on the door panel move when you tug on the glass, then you have this problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

If the rivets you see on the door don't move when you manipulate the glass, then you need to get a mirror inside the door to see what's going on. (The big hole at the back of the door is where you want to go in for a look. You can also remove the door speaker to get in there.) You'll want to look at how the motor is secured to the regulator and also examine the motor gear and regulator gear rack. (If anything gets stripped, its usually the weaker gear rack on the regulator.)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Well I got it figured out today. The plastic gear inside the motor was ground down.
Thanks guys for the help.