General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Turn signal power

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Turn signal power

So on my 2002 WS6 my turning signal does not work on the driver's side. The rear turn signal just stays on with out blinking and there is no power to the front drivers side bulb socket. I am sure it isn't the flasher as the right side signals work perfectly. Is there a fuse that could make this happen only on the front left? I checked the ground wires and they do look clean. Any help would be great, thank you!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

It can still be the flasher fyi. One side will work better than the other if it's going out on both my cars i've had.
How do you know the socket doesn't have power? Because the bulb isn't lit?
It's common for the housing to crack and water constantly blow them out. Inspect the housing and possibly replace. Next your socket it self can be corroded and need replacing if the first thing i mentioned as kept happening to the car. Both issues i've described happened to both fbodys i owned. Once replaced, instead of just buying bulb after bulb until the socket is to far gone, will last another 50K+ miles

Edit: but your issue sounds identical to when my housing was cracked, water kept getting into it, and eventually the socket was to far corroded. Let me know what you find when you take the bulb and lens housing out if needed. That's where I'd start.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 03-21-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Turn on your hazard lights. If they work, its a > 90% chance the problem is the flasher. (< 10% chance of a bad DRL module.)

If they don't work, its a > 90% chance the problem is the socket. (< 10% chance of both turn and hazard flasher modules being bad or a wiring problem.)
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I turned the left turn signal on and tested all of the wires leading to the socket with a test light and there was no power. When I turn on the hazards all of the lights blink correctly except for the front left as there is still no power with that as well. could it still be the socket our should I test the wires coming off of the drl module?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd start by probing the socket wires. The wire that goes in to each socket has a rubber seal on it, which seals between the wire and connector body. If you slide your electrical probes between the seal and wire, you should hit the metal connector inside the socket. If you have power there, its a bad socket insert. (The socket consists of a body and an insert. The wires have connectors on the end of them, that nest inside the body and are locked in place when the bulb-holding insert is snapped in.)

Here's some threads with info on those parts. If you do have a socket problem, you can either disassemble a new socket/pigtail or order new socket bodies and inserts to make a splice-free repair.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...sues-help.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ng-please.html

If you can't see power at the socket wires, I'd then go to the DRL module, but that is a PITA to do.

Quick Reply: No Turn signal power