General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front Blinker is Corroded. Need Help Fixing Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Front Blinker is Corroded. Need Help Fixing Please

Hey everyone
Since I bought my car a month ago the blinkers havent worked correctly at all. When I flip the blinker either left or right, the blinker will just stay on (sometimes the left side will blink as it should, both front and rear, but thats just sometimes not all the time.) When I turn the hazards on, all lights flash besides the front right. So, I got under there to replace the bulb and found the housing to be corroded as hell. I managed to get the old bulb out and put a new one in, but no luck with it flashing. I then went ahead and checked the fuses anyway, but they are all ok.

So my question is, am I going to have to replace the housing? Where do I order it and how much does it cost? I wanted to eventually upgrade the front blinkers with switchback LEDs, so this is as good of a time as ever so do I just use stock housings for the blinkers or do I change both sides out and put in something new. I've read I need to install some module with LED blinkers, otherwise it won't blink correctly?

If you can help me out with this situation I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no real fix to it, you need to buy the housings, WS-6 store is a vendor on here and I belive he sells them at a great price, and there really simple to install just cut threw wires and hook 3 wires back up, there really is no fix to the corossion unless you want to try to soak them in CLR or something lol

housings are 50-70 apiece depending on where you order them, but sure just buy the switchback LEDs they fit in the stock housings
Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 AM
10 Second Club

and all you need to get LED blinkers to blink is buy a HEAVY duty flasher module that plugs in under the dash, I think you need two but I cant remember one for hazerds and one for blinkers. you can buy any HD flasher module at any parts store its basicly what the 18 wheelers use
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you decide to stay stock for a bit, I believe you can still buy the bulb sockets at local parts stores, like AutoZone-that's where I bought two of mine. It's just a matter of cutting and splicing from there. Remember to pack the bulb socket with dielectric grease before you put in a bulb...
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy replacement sockets at Autozone I believe I bought (2) for $15 total. They have 3 wires that you just solder into the existing harness after you cut the old socket off. Very easy to do. I used to have the part # on my phone but got rid of it. I'm sure if you search around tech you will find it.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

wow 15 bucks? I coulda swore they were way more expensive than that when I looked into them.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Yep I'm 110% positive they are $7-8 a piece. Keep in mind the part # I had was for another application though. I wish I still had it because I couldn't believe it when I read it on here and then it turned out to be true lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Here ya go fellas.. I knew I posted this once before on here..

Originally Posted by djfury05
for anyone else looking at this thread the part number for Autozone/Advance etc is #85881.. I personally would call ahead to the store you will be going to and make sure they have some in stock. They run about $8 a piece. I got 2 and they are working flawlessly.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 346 Likes on 317 Posts

There is a much more elegant (and less effort/expense) way to fix the socket. Just get the new socket parts - No wiring necessary. In a good situation, you'll only need a $3 socket insert. In a worse situation, you'll need the $3 insert and a new $1.25 socket.

Here are some good links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rn-signal.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...t-gaskets.html
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Hey everyone
Since I bought my car a month ago the blinkers havent worked correctly at all. When I flip the blinker either left or right, the blinker will just stay on (sometimes the left side will blink as it should, both front and rear, but thats just sometimes not all the time.) When I turn the hazards on, all lights flash besides the front right. So, I got under there to replace the bulb and found the housing to be corroded as hell. I managed to get the old bulb out and put a new one in, but no luck with it flashing. I then went ahead and checked the fuses anyway, but they are all ok.

So my question is, am I going to have to replace the housing? Where do I order it and how much does it cost? I wanted to eventually upgrade the front blinkers with switchback LEDs, so this is as good of a time as ever so do I just use stock housings for the blinkers or do I change both sides out and put in something new. I've read I need to install some module with LED blinkers, otherwise it won't blink correctly?

If you can help me out with this situation I would greatly appreciate it!
I know some people hate when I say this, but its true.....the blinker housings are yet another shitty design by the GM engineers.........

Our sockets would last forever and never get burned up if GM had put the socket either on the back of the housing or on the top of the housing. Over time moisture gets inside the the housing and it settles in the bottom (gravity), right into the electrical socket....and thats what causes it to burn out over time. Also, the normal bulbs get HOT because they run all the time, the LED's never get hot so the plastic (stock) housings won't crack and deteriorate over time.

Found them, Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Trans-...ar=1&carId=002
They are MUCH nicer than factory, I think they're glass not plastic, and white so they match the headlights and fogs when they're all on. Not that ugly orange colored lenses. AND...SEALED so no moisture can get in. I also did the flashers with LED's.
I got new sockets with wires ready to splice in at Pepboys for $15.00 for both.

Video:
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...lashersvid.mp4

Attached Thumbnails Front Blinker is Corroded. Need Help Fixing Please-dsc02213.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 09-11-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
I know some people hate when I say this, but its true.....the blinker housings are yet another shitty design by the GM engineers.........

Our sockets would last forever and never get burned up if GM had put the socket either on the back of the housing or on the top of the housing. Over time moisture gets inside the the housing and it settles in the bottom (gravity), right into the electrical socket....and thats what causes it to burn out over time. Also, the normal bulbs get HOT because they run all the time, the LED's never get hot so the plastic (stock) housings won't crack and deteriorate over time.
You gotta lay off the engineers. They got this one right. The Delphi engineers designed two identical versions of the socket. (See the footnote on page 6.2 http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf) They have sockets made for low temp sockets made for high temp. (Specifically for DRL lights.) The bean counters chose to install the low temp version in our cars, I assume because they are less expensive - so they fry.

So, we can get the high temp sockets, made of a better plastic. The catch is they are not very available and must be bought in bulk. All we need is 300 people lined up to replace both sockets and we can place an order!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
You gotta lay off the engineers. They got this one right. The Delphi engineers designed two identical versions of the socket. (See the footnote on page 6.2 http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf) They have sockets made for low temp sockets made for high temp. (Specifically for DRL lights.) The bean counters chose to install the low temp version in our cars, I assume because they are less expensive - so they fry.

So, we can get the high temp sockets, made of a better plastic. The catch is they are not very available and must be bought in bulk. All we need is 300 people lined up to replace both sockets and we can place an order!
Its just like the factory power steering coolers....they would have spent LESS money to just install already available aftermarket coolers to the frame like we all do.......and not have spent ungodly amounts of money designing and testing and manufacturing the cooler that they did. Its not a bean counter thing....its a poor decision and design. Its the nature of the business, they can't do everything perfectly.

There are old Pontiacs with the sockets on the top of the DRL/Blinker housings....I think the Grand Prix or maybe the Grand Am....not sure. They should have just put the socket on top, then all the moisture in the world wouldn't affect them. The moisture settles into the socket........thats why they fry....

Or just spend $50.00 and get the housings I have. Then the LED's and Flashers......no moisture can get in and no heat from the regular bulbs. And a much cooler looking set up.........

Last edited by LS6427; 09-11-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Save the manuals!

My sockets are bone dry and they still get crispy. Water will definitely make the problem worse.

I have a supplier that might be able to get the high temp sockets in lower quantities. If people can reply to this thread, I'll look in to it if there is a good response:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...al-socket.html
Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427

Found them, Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Trans-...ar=1&carId=002
They are MUCH nicer than factory, I think they're glass not plastic, and white so they match the headlights and fogs when they're all on. Not that ugly orange colored lenses. AND...SEALED so no moisture can get in. I also did the flashers with LED's.
I got new sockets with wires ready to splice in at Pepboys for $15.00 for both.

Video:
http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...lashersvid.mp4

Good find! I've really wanted to look into changing the lens on blinker and this looks like a good solution.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Good find! I've really wanted to look into changing the lens on blinker and this looks like a good solution.
Very high quality, solid housing. Way way better than the factory piece.

Order:
EC12 flashers $11.00 each (auto parts store)
48 SMT Tower LED's (white-amber AW) 3157 $27.99 http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm

10-15 minutes to install it all and you're done.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Save the manuals!

If you all have other pictures of these lenses, I'd be interested to see them. (Front, back, sides.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the stock parts are designed for very harsh use. Going from the top of a frozen mountain to a burning desert all in the same day, etc. Sealing the lenses completely can be a bad thing, unless they have a pressure relief. If you go to the top of a mountain a couple of thousand feet high, drink a bottle of water, put the cap back on, and drive back down, you'll see the effect. A sealed lens can also cause condensation if the air inside can't move in/out.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem with my front blinkers. Had moisture getting in and blowing the bulbs and then found the housings were extremely corroded. Needless to say I need to get on that.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM

just bought some 3157 led for my 98 trans am blinkers were working fine since i put the led in the blinkers they wont blink what you think the problem is and also bought the led the guy told me i had to buy a module or something so they wont blink fast i was reading to fix the problem you can buy a heavy duty flasher module where do you get this and part number to thank you
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

That guys info is correct. Once replacing the stock 3157 blinker bulb with an LED setup, you can no longer use the stock thermal flashers. Autozone carries these "heavy-duty electronic" flashers for about $15 a piece. Remember, you need 2 of these flashers when upgrading to LEDs, one for your blinkers and one for you hazards.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 AM

once i put these heavy duty flashers in my blinker will be working where are the flashers located 98 trans am in fuse panel in car