Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: How much are high temp front DRL/Turn signal sockets worth? (Check all that apply.)
$10 per socket
66.67%
$25 per socket
33.33%
$30 for a kit of two sockets
66.67%
$40 for a kit of two sockets
33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

How much would you pay for a high temp version of the DRL/turn signal socket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default How much would you pay for a high temp version of the DRL/turn signal socket?

How much would you pay for a high temp version of the DRL/turn signal socket? Depending on the responses, we'll look at putting a package together.

Delphi makes a low temp and high temp version of the sockets. Our cars were blessed with the low temp version, which is less expensive and more readily available. High temp sockets can be had, but at a price...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am constantly changing the sockets due to them melting. Would the high temp socket stop that?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xBrian
I am constantly changing the sockets due to them melting. Would the high temp socket stop that?
get new sockets, if the housings are cracked replace them, and go to LEDs. That's what I did and have had no issues since.....
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xBrian
Sounds like it should to me... Though it might not be the only solution.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
get new sockets, if the housings are cracked replace them, and go to LEDs. That's what I did and have had no issues since.....
I thought LED's wouldn't work for DRL's?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
yes, LEDs will work for the DRL's. you just have to get an electronic flasher and the problem is fixed
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

How about $4.49 each since that is how much all the other ceramic sockets go for on Auto Illumination's website.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
LEDs won't work for DRLs in many recent cars because they use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to decrease the circuit wattage. We are lucky with our F-bodies because the DRLs run with unmodulated 12V power so LEDs aren't adversely affected. The only thing you have to watch out for is that some of the more powerful LED replacement bulbs don't last under constant use due to the heat. It got annoying really quick to spend $80 per pair on the brightest 3157 LED bulbs only to have them fail in as little as six months. I switched supplier to one with a 2-year guarantee and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

nothing
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Call me lame, but I just disabled my auto headlights and DRLs... I think it looks better with them off. I'm not breaking some weird law I don't know about, right???

To answer how much I would pay: not much. If I had to go through the trouble of doing that I think I would just go through the extra trouble of getting the clear lenses and switching to LEDs
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Call me lame, but I just disabled my auto headlights and DRLs... I think it looks better with them off. I'm not breaking some weird law I don't know about, right???

To answer how much I would pay: not much. If I had to go through the trouble of doing that I think I would just go through the extra trouble of getting the clear lenses and switching to LEDs
Okay... you're lame.

There are no DRL laws currently in the states but Canada has required DRLs since 1989. Statistically, cars with DRLs are between 8 and 11 percent less likely to be involved in multi-vehicle crashes during daylight hours (statistics vary by country with Denmark at the low end at 8% and Canada highest at 11%). But if you think it looks better with them off, by all means it's your car. Perhaps you might want to disconnect your brake lights too - the car might look better and it's not like you need them to see where you're going or anything.

As a long time motorcyclist, I am well aware that being seen is probably the single most important safety factor on the road.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Perhaps you might want to disconnect your brake lights too - the car might look better and it's not like you need them to see where you're going or anything.
Naaaa. Just hook the lights up to a switch to go in stealth mode. It would go great next to the Turbo Boost Button.