General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Firebird Headlights - Why do you hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The new units should have different colored wires, the stock ones on mine were yellow and grey and the new one had blue and green wires

I would just rather not hassle with brass gears. Even if they are installed correctly I've seen a few members even have their brass gears get stripped
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same issue. My passenger headlight doesn't even open up anymore. Originally it started with that annoying grinding and the headlights popping up when locking the car. The passenger light doesn't move now. I was thinking about just buying another plastic gear, only because its $15 dollars and would fix my problem for awhile. Would you say I am better off getting a new gear or do you guys think the whole motor is shot since its not moving at all. I am going to double check the connections to the motor for a rusted connections etc. I just hate going from ac delco to autozone junk and for $135 for a new one I might as well just go to a junkyard. Would just buying a plastic gear be suffice or since my headlight isn't moving at all does that mean my motor is dead? thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FoRmULa_BiRd
My passenger headlight doesn't even open up anymore.
The motors don't often go "bad." If the motor is running and the light isn't moving or is grinding, then you have a gear engagement issue. If not, then you should start at the electrical connector for the motor and look for corroded terminals. You can search for threads on the terminal problem to get more info.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually just did the free fix and rotated the gear and it got the light to come back up again. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I am good for a few more years.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights - Why do you hate me?