General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump Going Out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Going Out?

A few days ago I started my car and had it idling a few minutes then all of a sudden it shut off. So I turned the key forward to listen for the pump and there was nothing. I then checked all the fuses/relays which were all fine. Then about a 1/2 hour later the pump was working again and car was running fine.

I drove it a few times without any problems until today I started it up, and it ran for about 10 seconds this time before dying and not priming. So I just want to get some opinions before I start tearing anything apart.

Let me know what you all think, Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't say. The symptoms are also in line with a failing cam position sensor.

You should replace your fuel filter first then if the problem persists hook a gauge to the fuel rail and examine your pressure
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Launching!

I had a fuel pump die on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it exhibited the same symptoms that you describe. Heat seems to be the killer for fuel pumps .... it would die, cool down and then work for awhile longer. The fuel pump in my '01 Suburban just died. I pulled out into traffic, the truck stalled and I drifted to the side of the road. Dead fuel pump.

So, you're exhibiting the symptoms. But like chrysler kid says, they are the same symptoms for a few other things also.

At 240K miles on my original fuel pump, I'm starting the save up some $$ with the thought of just replacing it in the next couple of months .... assuming that it doesn't die before then.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Can't say. The symptoms are also in line with a failing cam position sensor.

You should replace your fuel filter first then if the problem persists hook a gauge to the fuel rail and examine your pressure
Ok this is interesting, I actually replaced the fuel filter last month. Now if the cam sensor is failing, it would stop the fuel pump from priming before start? The car still doesn't want to start today so I might look into the sensor stuff some more.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is the car? May not have a cam sensor.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check for 58 PSI pressure at the fuel rail.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

When he car is in no start mode theres no pressure at the rail because the pump isn't priming. I didn't test the psi but I released the leftover pressure at the valve then turned the key a few times and there was still nothing.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry I ment crank position sensor not cam sensor

Check your fuel pressure at the intake manifold. It's the cheapest fix, there are a few write ups on this site search for fuel pressure gauge in this forum and in the PCM forum and external engine forum.

There should be pressure at the rail even when the pump isn't primed. Granted it won't be a ton but the system still should hold pressure
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaxle

When he car is in no start mode theres no pressure at the rail because the pump isn't priming. I didn't test the psi but I released the leftover pressure at the valve then turned the key a few times and there was still nothing.
There had to be some pressure because you did release it.
When you turned the key, the pump didn't prime ? Also did you check the pressure at rail agian? For any , If at all?

When was last you changed your fuel filter?

Does the car start if you spray starter fluid down the intake?

There should be pressure at the rail even when the pump isn't primed. Granted it won't be a ton but the system still should hold pressure
This ^

Another posibility is fuel pump relay. Its by driver side kick panel.

Someone feel free to chime in exactly where it is & how to test it.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Ok the car was running today and the fuel pump was working as it should. So I went and got a fuel pressure tester. The pressure I got with the car off and just turning the key forward was 50 psi. Then with the car running the gauge was at 60.

EDIT: Ok I really think its the fuel pump now. I was driving earlier and I tried to get in the throttle a couple times just to have the car buck and almost die. So I went easy for about a half mile after that and the pump shut off again.

Last edited by Triaxle; 04-28-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yep my failing pump had the same issue with losing power up top

Good news is that on 99+ cars a new fuel pump and sending unit is about $129, if you own a 98 it's about $429
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Yep my failing pump had the same issue with losing power up top

Good news is that on 99+ cars a new fuel pump and sending unit is about $129, if you own a 98 it's about $429
Ok thats good to know, I have an 01. Now I just need to decide if I want to drop the tank, I don't think I want to cut the car apart.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Going Out?