General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC compressor

Looks like my AC compressor is shot on my 93 Trans Am. How easy are these to replace if I wanted to get under there and do it myself?

Anyone selling a unit cheap?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have the system recovered. Where they pull all the freon a134 out. I believe it is three or four bolts that hold it on. It should only take you about two hours too pull if your taking your time. If your lucky, when you get it recharged, you can find someone with a12 to recharge it. Thats what they used in the day. It's alot colder than a134 too.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My ac is nice and cool, it's just that the pulley or compressor is making tonnes of noise and probably needs to be replaced. Do I have to drain the ac for that?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Launching!

It could be the bearing on the back side/inside of the pulley. If you replace the compressor then yes. Does it sound like a rusty squeek?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Try replacing the belt. If you replace the compressor you will need a belt so it won't be a waste.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I seriously doubt you will find someone selling a used AC compressor that is working and in good condition. The reason anyone has an AC compressor off the car is because it is bad.

the refrigerant in the system is R-134a. It is NOT freon. Freon was the brand name of R12 refrigerant from Dupont used way back when. You cannot buy R12, and you can't just put R12 in an AC system built to use R-134a. and R12 is not a lot colder than R-134a, that is a myth. http://www.griffiths.com/achelp/achelp3.html

because the system is blowing cold doesn't mean you don't have other problems. you don't want to just replace the compressor, vacuum, and recharge. If the old compressor was internally bad then you need to flush the system to make sure any debris from old compressor and also bad oil in the system doesn't kill the new compressor. And for that age you need a new accumulator. you also want to pull the orifice tube and inspect, that will give you an indication of system health.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you plan to keep the car for a very long time....go to the dealership. Spend the money. There you will (or should) get a lifetime parts and labor warranty. Never pay for an AC repair again.
Thats what I did like 6 years ago.

90 day warranties on the part only is bullshit.......

Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Captain Double Post

I have a question, im selling an ac motor that has a squeaky pulley, does that mean it is bad, it did work when i took it out 2 years ago i just dont wanna sell someone something that doesnt work
Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
because the system is blowing cold doesn't mean you don't have other problems. you don't want to just replace the compressor, vacuum, and recharge. If the old compressor was internally bad then you need to flush the system to make sure any debris from old compressor and also bad oil in the system doesn't kill the new compressor. And for that age you need a new accumulator. you also want to pull the orifice tube and inspect, that will give you an indication of system health.

^^ THIS!

I recently did mine with a mechanic friend from our local club. It was a lot easier than I would have ever thought. Get lots of flush (at least 2 cans) a new orifice tube (they're cheap!), a new dryer and a new belt along with your compressor. Total time was about 4 hours from start to COLD in mine. Here's a few pictures so you can see how important this stuff is to do right...
New Dryer

Old on top new on bottom

Old Dryer (Polish your new one BEFORE you install it!!

This is where you FLUSH it all out!!

And this is why you just buy a new orifice tube!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
I seriously doubt you will find someone selling a used AC compressor that is working and in good condition. The reason anyone has an AC compressor off the car is because it is bad.

the refrigerant in the system is R-134a. It is NOT freon. Freon was the brand name of R12 refrigerant from Dupont used way back when. You cannot buy R12, and you can't just put R12 in an AC system built to use R-134a. and R12 is not a lot colder than R-134a, that is a myth. http://www.griffiths.com/achelp/achelp3.html

I have seen here on this forum in the parts for sale People think they are race car drivers and remove systems from their cars to reduce weight just like they do with the EGR and AIR systems...so yes you can find parts that are in pretty good shape used. I myself have 305,000 miles on my Z28 and my A/C is still working.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

You can still buy R12 and I have a full a/c system sitting in my garage. I am keeping mine though.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am considering just putting in the AC delete. As much I love the AC because it's nice and cold, the AC won't make the car sell for more, and since the only reason for me having this car is for when I am in a fast mode. I wouldn't mind losing excess weight anyways.

Make sense, or not worth it? How easy of an install is the AC delete?

Quick Reply: AC compressor