General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine wont crank, which could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont crank, which could it be?

when you turn the key the fuel pump primes and all the lights come on as normal, but won't crank at all. thought either starter solenoid, ignition switch, or clutch safety switch, found the clutch switch and took it apart, i guess it looked okay, no corrosion and the contacts didn't look too bad, its only 8 bucks at advance so i think i'll go ahead and get it and see, but when you turn the key you can hear a light click, and when you let go, it clecks again, that mean maybe something on the starter might've got loose? i hit a pretty good hole the other night
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

wasnt clutch switch >:/ gonna jack it up and try to hot wire the starter to see if it's the starter switch on the key.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you might have a broken wire to the VATS key reader. You can check it by dropping the steering column panel, checking the resistance at the small black 2 wire connector near the bottom of the column. With the key in the ignition check the ohm reading, should match the key resistance or if its OL open circuit the wires are broken to the key reader.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

the key just in the ignition or should it be turned to run, i'll go out there and look around, i gotta go to work at 4 though
and how do i know the resistance of the key, can't you tell by how many times the car dings when you turn the key to on?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
the key just in the ignition or should it be turned to run, i'll go out there and look around, i gotta go to work at 4 though
and how do i know the resistance of the key, can't you tell by how many times the car dings when you turn the key to on?
No you gotta measure the resistance of the pellet in the key with an ohmmeter.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is your security light on?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel pump is priming, it shouldn't be the security. Sounds like a bad ignition switch or starter. Try thumping the starter with a wrench a couple of times and see if that does anything.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

I would check the fuses as well before replacing any parts.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

i already checked the relays and fuses, they all good, but the starter relay is not clicking i don't think, i hear one relay clicking but i think it's the fuel pump relay. no the security light is not on, but the one time it did like this when i left the tops off and it got rained in for a few minutes the security light was on. What i am thinking is that some water got in the column and might've just not shorted out something or corroded it. I am gonna test the starter and solenoid to make sure they are all good before i go to takin out the steering column to get to that damn switch
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

sorry, wasnt the fuel pump relay, it was ignition relay beside the starter relay that i heard clickin. hopefully i can buy this 89 chevy 4x4 as a backup, i hate drivin my dad's tacoma XP

i am thinking it's the starter switch and not the ignition switch because the starter relay isn't clicking, but the ignition switch is, so if the starter switch isn't sending power to the relay, the relay isn't gonna click, but if it was sendin, it would click, i just don't wanna have to take out the steering column and all that jazz. man's gotta do whata man's gotta do though, can't be a bitch in this world

Last edited by firebirddude98; 05-27-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

hooked jumper cable to battery and touched it to purple wire and just got some arc, didn't turn over, so i'm suspecting its the starter or solenoid, any tips on changing it out?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

sorry, wasnt the fuel pump relay, it was ignition relay beside the starter relay that i heard clickin. hopefully i can buy this 89 chevy 4x4 as a backup, i hate drivin my dad's tacoma XP
Of course it wasnt the fuel pump relay if you could hear the fuel pump prime.
i am thinking it's the starter switch and not the ignition switch because the starter relay isn't clicking, but the ignition switch is, so if the starter switch isn't sending power to the relay, the relay isn't gonna click, but if it was sendin, it would click, i just don't wanna have to take out the steering column and all that jazz. man's gotta do whata man's gotta do though, can't be a bitch in this world
If the key reader wires in the column are broken it wont crank because the PASSKEY module needs to see that key chip resistance is correct before it can allow starter enable. My advise is to get the car to an auto repair shop.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

hooked jumper cable to battery and touched it to purple wire and just got some arc, didn't turn over, so i'm suspecting its the starter or solenoid, any tips on changing it out?
Sounds like just the starter is bad.
Just a few 13 mm bolts to the engine & the small nuts to the solenoid.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

yep, starter was bad, my car doctoring is getting better, switched it out for about 116$. everyone have a good memorial day, god bless our veterans
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wasnt clutch switch >:/ gonna jack it up and try to hot wire the starter to see if it's the starter switch on the key.
Return that clutch safety switch! Money in your pocket b/c you don't need it.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

next time just get a hammer and tap on the starter soleniod, takes 2 seconds and would have saved your trip to the parts store