General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC iced up and compressor not cycling off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC iced up and compressor not cycling off

I'm having a problem with my AC. I recently re-charged my ac. It blows ice cold, but it has started icing up. When the system ices up, I can shut it off for 15 minutes and it will start working again. When its iced up the blower is running but the air is hardly blowing. I have also noticed that the compressor is not cycling off. Where do I start? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone please advise. i am having the same problem.

have you removed the panel where the passenger puts their feet? i believe that is where the blower is and i hear it gets full of crap.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

I haven't done anything yet, I'm not sure where to start. What I've heard so far is that it could be the low pressure switch (~$50) or it could be low on freon due to a leak. Others have suggested the condenser is clogged but which would explain the ice but not the constant running of the compressor. If you find any info please share!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Launching!

I would bet on the low pressure switch or your climate controls in the the dash not working properly. It is allowing your compressor to keep running and getting your system colder than usual. If you had a leak, it would slowly get warmer. As far as the air not blowing out hard into the passenger area, make sure the direction doors are opening up all the way. How do you know it is icing up? Can you physically see ice anywhere specific. Start the car and turn the A/C on, let it run for a few minutes, and shut it off and look at the pulley and make sure the clutch is disengaging too. If that is stuck it would basically be driving your ac al the time regardless of what you set your control on or what the LP switch is telling it to do. Just something simple to check first. Otherwise, it could be that the oriface tube is partly blocked which is flashing off too much refrigerant or it could be a little worn and allowing too much liquid refrigerant through, which is referred to as overfeeding. Both of these scenarios can cause icing on different parts of the system
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

The evaporator and lines get iced up. The ac works fine until that happens....I can physically see ice on the canister and lines. The clutch does disengage when I turn the ac off. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Any luck with your issue?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cycling switch should be checked with a manifold hooked up. Pressure should be checked and the system should drop out at 28. If it does not drop out the cycling switch is shot. You must have a manifold to check this. Also some units donr cycle depends on the system. If the charge is low the evaporator ices up. I would have to pull a print to see what system you have. Some of the newer systems dont cycle. If you like i will look up the system you have.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had this same problem on my truck. It turned out the evaporator was dirty and clogged. It would ice up not allowing air flow. I had it replaced and no longer had the problem. The mechanic told me when it iced up, it tripped the high side pressure switch. I don't know that much about a/c operation so I went off what he told me.

Quick Reply: AC iced up and compressor not cycling off