General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Chirping pulley question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Another Chirping pulley question?

When the car is cold, running at idle, you can hear the chirping noise. It does get louder as you rev the car.

After the car warms up, the noise goes away at idle but you can still hear the noise as you drive the car & rpm is up.

Noise goes away when I remove the belt. Verified this twice.

New belt installed.

AC removed

All pulley's spin freely with no noise with the belt removed EXCEPT the power sterring pulley. When I spin the PS pulley it doesnt free spin like the others but I can still spin it by hand. You can tell that there is a little tension with trying to spin it. When I spin the PS pulley I hear almost like a clicking sound. While im driving the car, the power steering seems perfect.

Any idea's?

thanks

Last edited by 30th t/a; 06-26-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the wear of the crank pulley mite make the noise.try getting a new crank pulley.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres my thread that fixed my squeaks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...t-drive-2.html
Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
the wear of the crank pulley mite make the noise.try getting a new crank pulley.
I would not start with the crank pulley for this.

It's more likely the idler or tensioner/tensioner pulley for the respective belt system that's making the noise (either A/C or main), your post was unclear as to which belt was removed to stop the noise.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
your post was unclear as to which belt was removed to stop the noise.
I wrote AC was removed in my first post.

I originally was thinking it was the belt so I replaced it. Then I was thinking it was the tensioner, now after researching, it sounds like any of the accessories could be making the noise.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
I originally was thinking it was the belt so I replaced it. Then I was thinking it was the tensioner, now after researching, it sounds like any of the accessories could be making the noise.
The most likely culprits are tensioner and idler pullies. FWIW, I had a chirp on the main belt system that acted like yours, and even though my alternator pulley would make a bit of noise when spinning it by hand, this was NOT the pulley responsible for the squeak/chirp with the engine running..... it ended up being the [main] tensioner.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

goodyear gatorback belts are the best for being a quiet belt
Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

just a update, I had the car jacked up with it running. I tried pin pointing where the chirping noise was coming from. I think I narrowed it down to either the idler pulley or the altanator. So I removed the idler pulley & after reading about regreasing the pulley before buying a new one, I decided to try that. So after regreasing the original idler pulley, I started the car up and the noise was gone. Im hoping that fixed it. It was very simple.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
just a update, I had the car jacked up with it running. I tried pin pointing where the chirping noise was coming from. I think I narrowed it down to either the idler pulley or the altanator. So I removed the idler pulley & after reading about regreasing the pulley before buying a new one, I decided to try that. So after regreasing the original idler pulley, I started the car up and the noise was gone. Im hoping that fixed it. It was very simple.
If the noise was consistant before and is now gone completely, then you definitely found the right pulley. However, the lack of grease that caused the noise in the first place may have damaged the bearings, so the noise may come back. If it does, I would try replacing that pulley before trying to pin the noise on anything else. Hopefully it won't come back though.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dem Pulleys :o

Quick Reply: Another Chirping pulley question?