General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reset replacement instrument cluster odometer to HIGHER miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset replacement instrument cluster odometer to HIGHER miles?

I bought a replacement instrument cluster. The replacement has 33,877 miles on it. My car (original instrument cluster) currently has 47,022 miles. I have to replace the cluster for different reasons. so two questions:

1) Is there any way to get the miles to match up correctly so that I can sell the car in the next 3 months with the correct miles showing? Otherwise the title will say something about incorrect mileage. (or i'll have to drive the **** out of it to go from 33k to 47k which obviously isn't going to happen)

2) is there anyone on here who can do it? Or any place I can send it to to be done?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put a note or sticker on the door sill saying gauge cluster was replaced at 47,022 with a new one that read 33,877
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samsel450r
just put a note or sticker on the door sill saying gauge cluster was replaced at 47,022 with a new one that read 33,877
I will consider this if no one can reprogram it for me. Thanks for your input however
Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eb2phkingood
I bought a replacement instrument cluster. The replacement has 33,877 miles on it. My car (original instrument cluster) currently has 47,022 miles. I have to replace the cluster for different reasons. so two questions:

1) Is there any way to get the miles to match up correctly so that I can sell the car in the next 3 months with the correct miles showing? Otherwise the title will say something about incorrect mileage. (or i'll have to drive the **** out of it to go from 33k to 47k which obviously isn't going to happen)

2) is there anyone on here who can do it? Or any place I can send it to to be done?
Yes, the dealership can program any mileage into the cluster you want. When I got my 200mph Granitelli speedo....I decided to keep my factory cluster and just buy a brand new cluster to send to Granitelli for the 200mph face plate and calibration. The dealership I bought it from in Arizona asked me what mileage to put in....I told them and they did it.

Just an FYI....the only place mileage is stored is in the cluster......the PCM does not hold mileage in any way.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure of your location but there is a company called Specmo in the Metro Detroit area that does this. In fact, when you go to the Dealers, the dealers send it to Specmo for calibration (of course with a high mark up).

Your best best is to find a cluster close to your miles or even slightly higher. I'm sure the dealer will want more to change the mileage than what you paid for the used cluster.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK Listen Carefully!!!!! In my 98 Z28 I installed an instrument cluster from a 98 TransAm because I like the color Red. I took the cluster apart and UNPLUGGED the little red LED devise that displays the mileage and put mine in it's place. I still have a cluster with the correct mile reading. You did not mention what you car is, digital or mechanical readout?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK Listen Carefully!!!!! In my 98 Z28 I installed an instrument cluster from a 98 TransAm because I like the color Red. I took the cluster apart and UNPLUGGED the little red LED devise that displays the mileage and put mine in it's place. I still have a cluster with the correct mile reading. You did not mention what you car is, digital or mechanical readout?
sorry. 2000 trans am ws6 6 speed. digital
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yes, the dealership can program any mileage into the cluster you want. When I got my 200mph Granitelli speedo....I decided to keep my factory cluster and just buy a brand new cluster to send to Granitelli for the 200mph face plate and calibration. The dealership I bought it from in Arizona asked me what mileage to put in....I told them and they did it.

Just an FYI....the only place mileage is stored is in the cluster......the PCM does not hold mileage in any way.

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Not sure of your location but there is a company called Specmo in the Metro Detroit area that does this. In fact, when you go to the Dealers, the dealers send it to Specmo for calibration (of course with a high mark up).

Your best best is to find a cluster close to your miles or even slightly higher. I'm sure the dealer will want more to change the mileage than what you paid for the used cluster.

i've heard rumor they can ONLY do this on brand new clusters. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Is my best option just to call a local pontiac dealership?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

i've heard rumor they can ONLY do this on brand new clusters. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Is my best option just to call a local pontiac dealership?
did you not understand me????

take your old cluster apart and Remove the square LED digital display. It unplugs from the circuit board, the cable stays with the piece. Then put it into your new cluster. If this system would let me upload photos i could show you what I am talking about.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Banned

Mine was a 1998 cluster.

I have my factory 1998 cluster here in my house, do you want me to open the back up and check anything to confirm something for you?

I had no idea the displays were interchangeable, thats awesome. But as far as zapping a certain mileage number onto your new or used cluster......dealer has to do it.

When I bought my new cluster the dealership wanted to actually see a picture of my mileage that was on my factory cluster so they knew that the mileage I was asking them to put in was real. I wasn't about to go put it back in just to do that, so I told them it didn't work and we threw it away already. They trusted me and just put in the mileage I told them.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Mine was a 1998 cluster.

I have my factory 1998 cluster here in my house, do you want me to open the back up and check anything to confirm something for you?

I had no idea the displays were interchangeable, thats awesome. But as far as zapping a certain mileage number onto your new or used cluster......dealer has to do it.

When I bought my new cluster the dealership wanted to actually see a picture of my mileage that was on my factory cluster so they knew that the mileage I was asking them to put in was real. I wasn't about to go put it back in just to do that, so I told them it didn't work and we threw it away already. They trusted me and just put in the mileage I told them.

when I get home tonight I will try to upload a photo of the part and where it is on the board.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

when I get home tonight I will try to upload a photo of the part and where it is on the board.
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how it pops off the board.

So you're saying if I popped the display off....it can be popped onto anyones cluster and the mileage will be different? That easy....?

I just took mine apart somewhat....I'm stuck here. I can flex the white tabs to pull the back off, but it looks like its also bonded closed.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

when i get home about 11:30 I will check my old one and see if I can get some photos.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

when i get home about 11:30 I will check my old one and see if I can get some photos.
Ok cool.

I started to actually get the circuit board to slowly pull away, but it wouldn't come all the way off to see inside real well.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Default inside

ok I have an old cluster, this was my 1st attempt and i broke it so now I just use it for parts. lol
Attached Thumbnails Reset replacement instrument cluster odometer to HIGHER miles?-imag0148.jpg  

Last edited by LS1121; 06-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

I'm having a real hard time trying to upload photos. Anyhoweverything is kinda stuck togother but if you are careful it can be pulled apart and then just pressed back togother. I believe that the small cable is part on the motherboard and the little retangular led indicator unplugs from it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

ok I have an old cluster, this was my 1st attempt and i broke it so now I just use it for parts. lol
So you mean the green board.....just grab it and wiggle it and it'll pop off, then there's a wire with a plug attached that you unplug......??

Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yes the green circuit board and that black plastic board that hold the gauges are connected together and they will come off as one piece. Then carefully separate those two boards. be careful not to pull them apart because the ribbon cable is soldered the the green board and the LED display is snapped into the housing of the black board. You will need to unplug the ribbon cable from the LED display then you can remove it from the black board that holds the gauges. I know this all sounds complicated but it really is not.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

if you look at my photo the LED is right above the fuel and Amp gauges.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

and if you look closely at the photo,on the big green circuit board towards the middle to the right there is a small light blue plug, that is where the ribbon cable was before i ripped it off lol. It connects to the white plug on the right side of the LED display.

Quick Reply: Reset replacement instrument cluster odometer to HIGHER miles?