General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking water from stock hood scoops into engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking water from stock hood scoops into engine bay.

My hood is stock....seems to be leaking water into the engine bay from the 2 small fake scoops that are detachable.

It looks like it's been doing it for awhile but I have only now traced it because one of them had to come off to do a color match and well that one is leaking more than before now allowing me to finally see the droplets on and around it's retention screws/nuts.

What's a good sealer for this?
I'm not sure if I want to use RTV on this area but I imagine something that either 1)can dry but can flake off easily. or 2)does not ever dry and resists heat.

If I seal it correctly it would be more than just the threaded areas...it would be all around the scoop where it touches the hood so whatever sealant does go on there would come close to exterior paint.

What does the factory use? What have you guys seen work fine ?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

pics?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
I dont have a pic...it's a 93 and up stock Z28 hood. They all have inserts or louvres at the top of the hood closer to the windshield. The go into the hood and are held in place by 4 nuts that screw onto each louvres 4 plastic legs/retainers. It looks like water is coming in through this.

It could be a problem that many don't notice...it starts to eat away at your firemat under hood by wetting it constantly until it completely deteriorates. It also makes it deposit water at the base of the front by the radiator as it runs down the firemat after it soaks it and due to the slope of the hood it drips onto the very front of the radiator....it's common to see on older 4th gens with rust there and who happen to no longer have the firemat. It's cuz those louvers are leaking in water.

They are plastic and bolt right on to the hood. But apparently may not be sealed or gasketed onto the hoods...I'm not sure if I recall seeing any bonding/sealing material on them when I pulled one off.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Anyone?
I dont have a pic...it's a 93 and up stock Z28 hood. They all have inserts or louvres at the top of the hood closer to the windshield. The go into the hood and are held in place by 4 nuts that screw onto each louvres 4 plastic legs/retainers. It looks like water is coming in through this.

It could be a problem that many don't notice...it starts to eat away at your firemat under hood by wetting it constantly until it completely deteriorates. It also makes it deposit water at the base of the front by the radiator as it runs down the firemat after it soaks it and due to the slope of the hood it drips onto the very front of the radiator....it's common to see on older 4th gens with rust there and who happen to no longer have the firemat. It's cuz those louvers are leaking in water.

They are plastic and bolt right on to the hood. But apparently may not be sealed or gasketed onto the hoods...I'm not sure if I recall seeing any bonding/sealing material on them when I pulled one off.
Why not just silicone it real good from underneath?

Or maybe even use urethane, the stuff used to hold windshields in. It dries and stays in place for decades.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are cut out so water is always pushed under. 2 years in florida rain and nothing has happened. Why are you worried?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Why not just silicone it real good from underneath?

Or maybe even use urethane, the stuff used to hold windshields in. It dries and stays in place for decades.

I'm going to look into that...thought someone might have something known to work. The problems with those is how will they react to the sun and being on top of paint...i dont want my paint to come off on the hood or the louver's panel.

Im gonna stop by the autobody supply store and talk to them those guys know what won't ruin or react to the sun while being on paint.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Mine are cut out so water is always pushed under. 2 years in florida rain and nothing has happened. Why are you worried?
Your not making any sense. You cut them out? why would u do that?

"Why worry?" because it's rusting the valve cover that the water is dripping onto as well as the front of the radiator where it drips down onto on heavy rains...let'see what else did I already mention the firehaz mat? it's sure to crumble into dust. You don't mind these things? water is not supposed to enter your engine bay area.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

I'm going to look into that...thought someone might have something known to work. The problems with those is how will they react to the sun and being on top of paint...i dont want my paint to come off on the hood or the louver's panel.

Im gonna stop by the autobody supply store and talk to them those guys know what won't ruin or react to the sun while being on paint.
I would use urethane from underneath. There's no amount of heat the sun can produce that will hurt it. Maybe in 10 years you can scrape it off and redo it.....but it will last a LONG time. You know how hot windshields get, that stuff is what holds the windshield in....heat cannot hurt it.

You could also use bondo or fiberglass, or some other kind of body puddy like loctite.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid silicone based stuff due to the acidic nature of it- hence the classic silicone smell, the vinegar odour is the tip off. Steel body panels etc will rust eventually.
Try a 3m automotive "seam sealer" specifically designed for body panels- no volatility, does what the manufacturer intended.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the silicon warning as these are things that may get painted further down the road. And silicon does not mix well with paints.

Thanks for the urethane votes.
Check out this page towards polyurethane which I have some already at home(not autograde but..):

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/seam-sealing.htm

Now ask me if im glad i hesitated to slap any gunk on my belladonna...!!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not making any sense. You cut them out? why would u do that?

"Why worry?" because it's rusting the valve cover that the water is dripping onto as well as the front of the radiator where it drips down onto on heavy rains...let'see what else did I already mention the firehaz mat? it's sure to crumble into dust. You don't mind these things? water is not supposed to enter your engine bay area.
Looks better with mesh behind than the cheap plastic GM put. Get a garage queen then if you worried about a little water.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Looks better with mesh behind than the cheap plastic GM put. Get a garage queen then if you worried about a little water.
I'd like to check out this diy modification. sounds like an enhancement to airflow, cooling, and horsepower rolled into one..your saying it even has a cosmetic appeal to it. How'd did this get by me?

Dude, please upload a pic!? I'd give a crankbolt to see it.

Quick Reply: Leaking water from stock hood scoops into engine bay.