General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have no clue how this happened (Turn Signal lever)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have no clue how this happened (Turn Signal lever)

So I was on my way home from my work and I was using the turn signals just fine until I went to make a right turn. When I went to flick the switch I noticed that the signal didn't turn on and the lever just fell down. Now this surprised me because I have never seen this happen. So when I finally got home I reached down inside that hole and took off the cover. What I found was a sheard piece of metal that looks like a lever for the mechanism. (pic) I am assumsing that the whole lever needs to be replaced and I am looking for some advice on where to get a new one and how to replace the mechanism. Any adivice would be appreciated.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...14424516_o.jpg
Old 07-07-2012, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

morning bump...anyone?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

have both pieces welded, may cost U $1.00
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

That happened to me about three or for months ago. I think it's called the turn signal linkage. You can replace just that one part but have to get it from the dealership. Cost around $5. What happens is the grease in the little channel that pin rides in dries out and the pin gals and snaps. Pain in the *** to fix because you have to pull the steering wheel to get to it but really a cheap part. When I installed mine I greased the **** out of the pin and channel with light weight lithium grease and she's been doing great
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^^ Correct. The part is easily had and GM has been using the design literally for decades.

Step 19 in this thread shows the screw that holds the linkage down to the turn signal mechanism, along with the other half of your broken part, which is still screwed down in the column. At this step, all you have to do is unscrew the old broken piece and slide the new one in. (After applying new grease, of course.) https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I did stubble across your thread later last night and read through it, great information. I was just still confused about the parts name. I will be calling the dealerships around here to locate the part tomorrow. Also do you guys know if you can rent the tools from like an autozone or something or do you have to buy them from harbor freight. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

I hit everything from AutoZone. Just be careful when tearing it apart because there are some small springs and the slip ring that connects the electronics to the steering wheel are a bit delicate.Hope it helps
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 on being very careful, especially with the steering wheel puller. If you put the bolts in too far, they will tear up parts behind the wheel. If you don't put them in all they way, they can strip the steering wheel threads.

Best way is to have someone experienced help you the first time.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Gotta love the Saginaw columns! Every year GM just kept shoving more **** in there, but at least parts are plentiful after 40 some odd years of production lol
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Well today I went to a local mechanic out of curiosity and it will cost 150 dollars to replace it. I'm not sure what to do because I do not know anyone who has done this before and I don't want to break anything else.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd leave it to a mechanic just to be safe.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Well I just got back from the dealer. For anyone else that was wondering what part it was, it is called a "T/S SWITCH ACTUATOR" with a part number of " 7827038." Cost me 9 bucks to get from the dealer. As for me installing mine I went to a shop that my friend knew and they will put the part in for 100 bucks. Thanks again for all your help.