General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 z28 a/c compressor bearing ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 a/c compressor bearing ????

So I finally picked up another ls1 fbody after getting rid of my last trans am back in November of '11, biggest mistake ever. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the a/c compressor bearing is bad, but it only makes that light grind/sheering sound when the a/c is off or for 1 or 2 seconds while car is first started up and after car is shut down. Does this sound like the verdict? Alot of people I have heard say that the noise when olny be present while the a/c is on, not off.

Also, guy I work with at shop says the started its the starter engaging/disengaging to late, but this would not make since when the noice occurs while I turn off the ac while still driving.

Let me know what you guys think, I don't think it has anything to do with the starter, but not positive.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

i have EXACTLY the same problem and other people have diagnosed it as the AC compressor clutch, the shop is wrong because i know what it sounds like and it will run the entire time the car is on if the ac is off.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Just had the same problem, here is my thread. Post #7 is my summary. Your clutch plate is not releasing/returning all the way when the A/C is turned off and the clutch plate is still in slight contact with the pulley which makes that metalic scraping sound.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ook-right.html
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Cool sounds like your right, I put stethoscope up to it this morning and bearing doesn't sound to bad. Should I go ahead and replace the bearing and evacuate and recharge the system while I'm at it?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by augie1209
Cool sounds like your right, I put stethoscope up to it this morning and bearing doesn't sound to bad. Should I go ahead and replace the bearing and evacuate and recharge the system while I'm at it?
Once the clutch plate is off I bet when you spin the pulley it will be quiet letting you know the bearing is fine (it would be screaming at you when the A/C was on if the bearing was bad). I did not remove the compressor to change the clutch plate, but to change the bearing, if you need/want to, you would need to remove the compressor and evacuate which is what I was trying to avoid.

Quick Reply: 98 z28 a/c compressor bearing ????