General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crazy turn signal problem... help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy turn signal problem... help appreciated!

Both of my turn signal sockets went out about 5 months ago, I changed both of the sockets and bulbs. The left turn signal worked, blinked once or twice when testing it, then quit again. After the blinking cut out, the light on the dash stayed solid. This is ONLY with the headlights on. The left turn signal does work fine when the headlights are down(off). When the headlights are on, and you try to use the left turn signal, the left turn signal lamp does nothing, just stays lit up like always when the lights are up(on) The right turn signal dash light does not stay on when not in use.

The right turn signal works great, whether the headlights are on or not.

Any ideas? Thanks alot..

Last edited by Edx2x; 07-21-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the turn signals are used in conjunction with the parking lights when the headlights are on, since this problem only occurs when the headlights are on, I would look into the parking light side of the circuit first,, there may be a short to ground causing this problem..Hope this helps
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you make sure you hooked all 3 wires back where they were as in the innner middle and outer? cause my new sockets had all white wire so i had to make sure I cut one at a time and wired it in mine work fine
Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

When the light "doesn't work," is it on solid or off?

What happens when you use your hazards? With the lights up? With the lights down? (This will help isolate the problem to bulbs, sockets, wires, etc.)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Teching In

The left turn signal indicator light stays lit / on even when the turn signal isn't on when the lights are on/up. I have replaced both sockets, when I replaced the sockets the left turn signal either worked once and quit or not at all I couldnt tell. The connector to the headlight door on the left side was horribly corroded so I hard wired those wires and still same problem. The left turn signal does work fine with the lights off. It also works with the hazards on when the lights are on / up. Only doesn't work and stays lit constantly when lights are up.

Anything else to try...? Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Also when the lights are up / on and I use the left signal the lamp does change to the other filiment and just stays solid.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Save the manuals!

If the hazards work properly, then it sounds like its just a bad turn signal flasher. (When the original thermal ones go bad, its possible for them to work on one side and not the other.)

If the hazards do not work properly, its probably something more expensive...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I tried replacing the bulbs, same problem. The hazard flashers do work when the lights are up or down. I deleted the water proof connector as that was badly corroded, same problem... The left blinker will not work when the lights are up/on.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Save the manuals!

There are two flashers. One for the hazards and one for the turn signals.

Your turn signal flasher is bad. You need a new one.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help so far wssix99, so are you saying the relay? Or is there something under the kick panel that is a "flasher"? How do I know which flasher is which? Thanks alot, been really bothering me lol. Also, are two flashers for each side? Im just trying to understand how they could work when the lights are off but not when they are on. Thanks alot.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Edx2x
Thanks for the help so far wssix99, so are you saying the relay? Or is there something under the kick panel that is a "flasher"? How do I know which flasher is which? Thanks alot, been really bothering me lol. Also, are two flashers for each side? Im just trying to understand how they could work when the lights are off but not when they are on. Thanks alot.

Not a relay - a flasher. Some people confuse the terms, but they function differently.

If you do a search, there are lot of threads on the flashers. There are two - one for the hazards and one for the turn signals. They are a little hard to find, but all the needed details are in the threads.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Tridon/Turn Signal Flasher
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._132997_11714_
Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Launching!

I know this is an old thread, but my sisters Trans Am is doing this now, did replacing the flasher fix the problem?

Quick Reply: Crazy turn signal problem... help appreciated!