General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 01:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

99 Z28: No brake, dash or hazard lights: FIXED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Z28: No brake, dash or hazard lights: FIXED!!!

So far I've checked all the fuses (I have a 2k TA that has been the tester) and all the bulbs with no change. Pulled the hazard fuse and got ZERO voltage with the key in. Pulled the key out and got 1.44volts. Push me in the direction for the next thing to check please.

I do have turn signals, b/u lights, headlight, and courtesy lights. Other than that this is a zero option car.

Last edited by Mizzouri; 01-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Well it is definitely not the hazard flasher or headlight switch as I swapped them out with known good ones. Anyone want to throw out an idea of what ground, switch or relay could possibly be an issue here? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Does your third brake light (on the hatch) work?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Teching In

No brake lights at all.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Save the manuals!

I'd debug each system independently. Did they all go south at the same time? Did you get the car like this?

Short of an accident or a family of rats living under the dash, I can't think of a likely single cause for all this.

For the brake lights: start testing at the brake switch at the pedal.
For the hazard lights: make sure you have power at the flasher and then start with the turn signal switch assembly.
For the dash lights: can you confirm your gauges, odometer, radio, HVAC, map lights, and door courtesy lights all don't work and aren't activated by the dimmer on the headlight switch?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the help and will be report back what I find over the next couple days.

But yeah, bought the car this way, and my initial thoughts were a ground issue because it came from the east coast and had a lot of rust build up around the grounds in the engine bay. I've pulled those all apart and hit them with wire brush and sandpaper to get to clean metal.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

A little more digging this afternoon, while going over every other fuse not related to the issue, revealed the air pump fuse was blown. I replaced it and fired up the car, and to no surprise, and the fuse blew again. I got under the car and pulled the 2 connectors related to the assembly. Fired the car again and the fuse didn't blow (had to check).

After doing some research on similar threads I started looking at the driving light sockets and found that the front 2 had suffered some serious heat (voltage) damage some time in the past. So, I need to run to the parts store tomorrow and see if I can find replacement sockets. If I can't get these locally someone let me know where I need to order them.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Mizzouri
After doing some research on similar threads I started looking at the driving light sockets and found that the front 2 had suffered some serious heat (voltage) damage some time in the past. So, I need to run to the parts store tomorrow and see if I can find replacement sockets. If I can't get these locally someone let me know where I need to order them.
This would be a 100% waste of time. All the sockets look charred - but yours' are fine. The hazards use the same filament as the turn signals. So, if the turn signals work and the parking lights work, (they use the other filament) the sockets are perfectly fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I've got no running lights.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Save the manuals!

"Running light" is a tough term to understand... (People typically use this term for any one of 18 lights on the car, including the DRLs, parking lights, marker lights, etc.)

Are you talking about the marker lights in the 4 corners not working or the parking lights that come from the same housing as the turn signals?

BTW - Even if your parking lights aren't working - they still aren't related to your hazard issue. If your turn signals work, then your sockets are still fine as far as the hazards are concerned.

Given the nature of your problems, you are probably best to start tracing each circuit with a tester.

Last edited by wssix99; 10-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Sorry, meant the marker lights, with the 2 front burnt pretty good. With the voltage reading low at the fuse it's time to start tracing wires back and see where the problem is hiding. I'll report back when I find more, thanks for your help so far.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Teching In

FIXED!!!!

Ok, finally found some time recently and regrouped to what I did know and start from there:

1) No power to 2 fuses. Both of these are fed from a single red wire which shows to be coming from a 40amp 'Maxi fuse'. Looked to have power at the fuse in the engine bay so there had to be a break somewhere in between.

Solution: Ran a new wire and incorporated a fusible link. I now have brake, dash, and hazard lights.

2) Side marker lights weren't working. Found light corrosion on the terminals and after scraping a bit 3 of the 4 now work (not getting power to the 4th)

Just thought I'd update this thread so it may help someone else down the road.

The cd with GM manuals I bought from a forum member some time back proved absolutely invaluable because the Chilton and Haynes manuals didn't seem to show the whole path I was troubleshooting.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Thanks for posting back.

BTW - I think you'll be happier with the official GM Factory Service Manuals. (published by Helm) They have full repair/replace procedures for every component of the car and full detailed schematics of all the electrical circuits.

Quick Reply: 99 Z28: No brake, dash or hazard lights: FIXED!!!