General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Camaro ls1 Running Hot HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro ls1 Running Hot HELP PLEASE

whats up guys i have 98 camaro z28 91xxx miles and noticed it was running hot in traffic one day so i turned the heater on and it cooled off. I got home flushed the coolant system and put a new thermostat in and let it run and it never got hot that night sitting in my driveway. a few days later when it was on the dyno after the second pull it started running hot. then on the way home ran hot again in stop and start traffic and again i turned the heater on and it quickly cooled off back to normal operating temp. any suggestions on what this might be? water pump is good or i think it is revved the motor with the radiator cap off and it splurged coolant everywhere.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Launching!

is your cooling fan working you have two fans one i believe comes on when the engine gets hot the other comes on when you run the heater or ac. so if the cooling fan isnt operating properly and then you turn the heater on which kicks the other fan on which will then start to cool your engine. just throwing that out there since it didnt state in your post wither the fans are working or not
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

i know one fan comes on when i turn the ac on cuz i can see it but the other i cant see very well because of the shroud or however you spell that but guess ill take it off and see whats happening with the other fan

do you know what temp the fan is supposed to kick on at?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rlatulipe5591
i know one fan comes on when i turn the ac on cuz i can see it but the other i cant see very well because of the shroud or however you spell that but guess ill take it off and see whats happening with the other fan

im not 100% sure but i think its in the range of 140 ish to 160
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rlatulipe5591

I believe they kick on or at least in high at 215. I never heard them on until my car hit passed 220 during my coolant flush. Make sure the radiator cap is holding pressure? How hot is your car getting?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

An eighth past 210 is the hottest it's ran because I intervene and that was on the dyno Probably woulda gone hotter if I had left it running
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

LS1's run hot by nature. mine runs 210 in traffic at the most, then the fan kicks on. If your temp isnt getting past 215ish with the fan on, in traffic, on a summer day your aiight. My car in 5th gear, 1600 rpm, cruising, cools down to near 180 but then in traffic gets near 210. fans come on, stays at 210. i think youre ok. as long as the car only gets hot in traffic and your fans are coming on your ok, but cruising at low rpm it should cool right down.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Teching In

My car stays an 1/8 before 210. Has never gone passed it even in traffic, but I haven't had it in the summer. I figured, I would do the !TB Bypass when Summer comes around.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I built and installed my own fan switch, was pretty easy. You can google it and there are schematics, parts are cheap at Radio Shack. Lo turns on 1 fan, high turns them both on. I figure would keep things cool between races. I BADLY want the Meziere electric water pump!
Attached Thumbnails Camaro ls1 Running Hot HELP PLEASE-electicfanswitch.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try a new t-stat.

Turning on the heat will decrease temps no matter what....it has nothing to do with the problem you're having though.

I think your t-stat is sticking and not fully opening.....

Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have a 160 stat and a LT1 rad........never a problem in texas heat

Quick Reply: Camaro ls1 Running Hot HELP PLEASE