General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

97 Z28 Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 Z28 Power Steering Question

Hey all,

Have a 97 Z28 with 75k miles on it. Had a quick question with the power steering fluid. I have been storing my car since late November and have done a couple start ups since then along with some block drive arounds (haven't had the best of weather). Since December it hasn't really been started, been busy with college and weather has been shitty. Anyways since spring is rapidly approaching I did a good look over this past weekend. Checked brake fluid, oil, radiator fluid and all checked out good. Also checked water pump and all that stuff and no leaks, also checked all the lines for coolant etc. I finally worked my way over to the power steering fluid. I open the cap and I seen a film covering that looks exactly like chocolate milk (no particles or lumps were in the fluid). I dipped my finger in (about 1-2in) into the fluid and pulled it back out and it showed perfectly clear on my index finger. Should this be something to be concerned about, looking to start it up this weekend possibly (going to be close to 60 here in Nebraska). Also anything I should do "special" since my car has sat for about 2 1/2 months or so (i remember posting a similar thread last year and someone replied about pulling a fuse and priming the pump or something).

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll post a picture tomorrow once I get home.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have any doubts about the fluid, flush it out with fresh fluid. FWIW, my whole power steering system sat all connected for over a year bungee-corded to the k-member while the engine was out. I did not change out the fluid, and have no issues.

You can turn the key to RUN (not START) a couple times to get the fuel pump to prime the rail. Pull the ignition fuse and crank the engine for 5-10 seconds, that will prime the oil pump.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Checked brake fluid, oil, radiator fluid
Did you check the coolant at the overflow bottle? If so, anything abnormal on the dipstick.

One thing to look out for is cross contamination between the cooling and P/S system. If you have that, you should have blobs of P/S fluid on the overflow dipstick. If its clean, you don't have anything to worry about, but a P/S fluid change is in order. You may also want to do one of the P/S cooler mods while you are at it to prevent a future issue.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did you check the coolant at the overflow bottle? If so, anything abnormal on the dipstick.

One thing to look out for is cross contamination between the cooling and P/S system. If you have that, you should have blobs of P/S fluid on the overflow dipstick. If its clean, you don't have anything to worry about, but a P/S fluid change is in order. You may also want to do one of the P/S cooler mods while you are at it to prevent a future issue.
I will check the coolant overflow container today, as well as take a picture of the fluid I am talking about. Can you link me to a thread on a how-to for the cooler mod. Also where is the ignition fuse located at (I was going to remove it so I could prime the rails and the oil pump).

Thanks,

Devin
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Its a long thread but worth going through the whole thing and also checking out the linked sources/documents/threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its a long thread but worth going through the whole thing and also checking out the linked sources/documents/threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
OP has an LT1.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
OP has an LT1.

Missed that - thanks - no worries then! Just a simple flush.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP has an LT1.
Hey, do you know where the fuse is located at? I tried a quick google search and I don't get a picture of the location just a bunch of threads discussing they keep blowing.

Thanks,

Devin
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The PCM IGN fuse is in the interior fuse block. Open the driver side door and you'll see a panel on the side of the dash. Pop it off and there's the fuse block, can't miss it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PCM IGN fuse is in the interior fuse block. Open the driver side door and you'll see a panel on the side of the dash. Pop it off and there's the fuse block, can't miss it.
That's what I figured Spartan, many thanks!

I keep posting in this thread, didn't have a chance to work on the car today. Got hit with another 8 inches of snow:/

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 Power Steering Question