General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window alignment issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window alignment issues...

I've had this problem since I bought the car last year, but it has gotten worse. I figured I could use the info at shbox.com and fix it, but I think my problem is different. I've been working on installing new speakers with my door panels off and noticed the screws holding the window regulator to the door didn't look right. It seems as though they have chewed through the fiberglass on their way down due to gravity. I have attached images below to show the screws as well as how bad the window alignment has gotten. I can lift the window up in the front and get it closer to normal, but it just falls back down. What is the best way to reattach the regulator so it is in the right position?

Screws holding regulator:
Window alignment issues...-cikclivl.jpg

Gap of window:
Window alignment issues...-ulyiz8jl.jpg

Also, another problem I have is the door strip not clipping into the door. I see clips, but can't put together how they attach to the door. Any help is appreciated...

Gap of strip to door:
Window alignment issues...-o3hioufl.jpg

Window alignment issues...-57fb291l.jpg
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

here it is:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...iberglass.html
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

LilJay, I know its a long shot, but any chance you have a dimensional drawing for the plate? Or does anyone have a drawing for the plate? If not, I could make it myself and send it to the shop we use. Otherwise, I might just try to JBWeld some fender washers where the original holes are and hope those hold.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
LilJay, I know its a long shot, but any chance you have a dimensional drawing for the plate? Or does anyone have a drawing for the plate? If not, I could make it myself and send it to the shop we use. Otherwise, I might just try to JBWeld some fender washers where the original holes are and hope those hold.
No I don't have it sorry. I used a piece of cardboard and traced it. Then transferred it onto some metal. I think the plate compared to just washers helps distribute the force from the window motor.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that plate seems like a good idea...................i recently changed a window reg and motor in my car and a similar problem to what you have, what i did was move the window with the switch which will bring the holes for the regular into to alignment i used lock washer and another washer with lock nuts and so far so good and that was a few months ago.....ooh make sure you keep the regulator in place by making sure the metal hook/arm is hooked onto the fiberglass.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

I used JBWeld on some washers and it seems to have done the job, at least for now. The window seals perfectly now, which is great. Of course, who knows how long it will last. I got some 1/4-20 x 5/8" button head screws, some lock washers, and some serrated nuts for the back side. I put the washers on the driver's side as well, they are curing now. That side wasn't as bad, but might as well fix it now before it gets bad. Some images below...

Window alignment issues...-9yk8snil.jpg

Window alignment issues...-jztl6a7l.jpg

Window alignment issues...-lprasjll.jpg
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i just replaced the window stripping with a junkyard piece. there is a longer tab in the middle of the clip that breaks off. Its not too had to replace. Its a pain to get the clips lined up in the center of the hole. youll see what i mean. u need to remove the side mirror and loosen up the things that keep the window in track

Quick Reply: Window alignment issues...