General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What the heck is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default What the heck is this new noise?

[Cross-posting to Handling forum]

We had the engine & tranny out to replace the engine. We didn't completely remove the torque arm, and replaced the tranny fluid.

I'm getting a few new noises I did not have before. None of these noises were there before we R&R'ed the engine, etc.

The worst at this time is a vibration I get on acceleration. Doesn't happen all the time, but is most apparent in first gear. It seems like when enough weight is shifted to the rear of the car, it makes this vibration sound. It kinda sounds like something which is spinning is hitting something else. I don't see how the driveshaft could be hitting anything.

We had the car on a lift earlier today. The passenger side cat is close to the tranny crossmember, but it doesn't appear from pushing on the y-pipe that it's making contact. The tech thought the sound was coming from the rear of the car and that it didn't appear to be the tranny mount. He said I appear to need new rear axle bearings, especially on the driver side. Would the axle bearings make this noise?

So what is my checklist? Any chance the noise could be caused by bolts which worked themselves loose somewhere from the re-install?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default What the heck is this noise?

[Cross-posting to Gears/Axles forum]

We had the engine & tranny out to replace the engine. We didn't completely remove the torque arm, and replaced the tranny fluid.

I'm getting a few new noises I did not have before. None of these noises were there before we R&R'ed the engine, etc.

The worst at this time is a vibration I get on acceleration. Doesn't happen all the time, but is most apparent in first gear. It seems like when enough weight is shifted to the rear of the car, it makes this vibration sound. It kinda sounds like something which is spinning is hitting something else. I don't see how the driveshaft could be hitting anything.

We had the car on a lift earlier today. The passenger side cat is close to the tranny crossmember, but it doesn't appear from pushing on the y-pipe that it's making contact. The tech thought the sound was coming from the rear of the car and that it didn't appear to be the tranny mount. He said I appear to need new rear axle bearings, especially on the driver side. Would the axle bearings make this noise?

So what is my checklist? Any chance the noise could be caused by bolts which worked themselves loose somewhere from the re-install?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

t/t/t
Old 04-24-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

t/t/t
Old 04-24-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Did you set the pre-load on the pinion bearing right?
2. Could the axle have rotated, thus offsetting the proper pinion angle?
2. (This one is stupid I know), but U-joints?

I'm just stabbing at this one Jim, but I wanted to get some thoughts to you before you gave up hope that someone would respond. I don't think axle bearings would make that kind of noise when they go. I did mine, but it turned out it was my pinion bearing that went south. But this only made a sound when decelerating. Then as it wore further, it made a high pitch whine at speed.

Hope this helps somewhat, someone else will be along shortly that will be able to give better advice.

Tony
Old 04-24-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I wasn't there for the re-install of the exhaust & driveshaft, so I don't have those answers. I find it odd that it would all of a sudden occur immediately after the work was finished. I drove the car 45 minutes from the track back home before the engine seized, and it had none of these noises then.

I doubt axle bearings are related either. Not ecstatic I need to replace them, though.

Hopefully we'll find it tomorrow!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for not beeing able to help you out more. Hopefully someone will see this thread later on tonight and will reply by tomorrow morning.

Tony
Old 04-24-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

'Tis alright, Tony. Thanks for the ideas