General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main Seal repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by polorico
lemons12 what do you mean something wrong will show immediately ?
He means that if a mechanic screws up the rear main seal....it will usually leak right away, or within days or a couple weeks. Just make sure if you spend that amount of money.....it covers ALL labor and parts associated with another rear main seal leak with the warranty period. Not just parts. If its done right.....it will not leak. It must be done right. It's not just pop the new seal on. It needs RTV in the rut places and on the shelf of the rear seal area.

Yea....don't mess with the front seal.

so those links i posted do not include the gasket ? also what is a good transmission cooler that you guys would recommend ?
Just make sure its a stacked cooler type.....mount it in front of the condensor...BUT NOT laying up against the condensor. It needs to have a gap so the hot air coming off the cooler doesn't create a hot spot on the condensor....and it will. The gap allows ram air to mix with that hot air before it goes through the condensor.

I can use the money for the flex plate for the tranny cooler . would one from autozone work fine ? also since i am getting the work done what do you guys think about adding a transmission temp guage ?

quick question also for you older heads.

since I will have the tranny pulled do you guys think it would be smart to invest in tempture guagues as well ? I see packages for about 150 that include three separate guages.
If you have the money.....do what you can while its in the air.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got my rear main seal fixed today....

My mechanic told me the bottom of the motor was covered in oil. He said it took him 3-5 can of break cleaning fluid to clean the bottom off. He told me he drove the car and it did not leak.... He did tell me that it could be leaking from the upper side of the motor. He specifically said valve covers ,or valley cover. What you guys think ? I really don't want to invest more money in chasing down leaking Oil on this car. But if i must I will. 2 other mechanics that i trust told me it was the rear main seal... Could he be trying to over sell me ? or could he just be looking out for a slight possibility that could also be leaking.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think these cars are real notorious for valve cover or valley cover leaks. I've never seen one at least
Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

I had two guys who dont know each other that I trust tell me the same thing . main rear seal... I was leaking oil for a few months pretty heavily.... So i could see where my mechanic would think that maybe it was something else... I just hope he is not trying to pull a fast one , or this is not the beginning of a money pit chasing down a oil leak.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by polorico
I had two guys who dont know each other that I trust tell me the same thing . main rear seal... I was leaking oil for a few months pretty heavily.... So i could see where my mechanic would think that maybe it was something else... I just hope he is not trying to pull a fast one , or this is not the beginning of a money pit chasing down a oil leak.
Valve cover leaks are almost NEVER.......no you can see the leaks for yourself, you don't need to trust a mechanic. Go buy a can of GUNK engine cleaner, warm the engine up for about 10 full minutes, then spray it all over and around the valve covers and the rest of the engine. Wait about 20 minutes so the foam can do its work....then rinse with slow running hose water, DO NOT use a spray nozzle and blast it off.

.....BEFORE you start.......Cover the PCM, fuse box and battery with a plastic garbage bag just so they don't get directly drenched with the cleaner or the hose water when you rinse everything.

Then drive it for a couple days to see where the fresh oil is coming from. You can simply reach with your hand to the back of both valve covers to feel for fresh oil.

The Oil Pressure Sending Units also leak oil sometimes. Wen they do they drip straight down the back of the engine.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

no leak as of today. drove it to school and lunch ... crosses fingers.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

A small leak has returned. I am going to call my mechanic. This is starting to get frustrating
Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the leak?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

My next place to look would be oil pressure sending unit..

With simple tools a fiat timer can fix that in under 2 hours easy.

I could change it in 30 minutes tops.. Its that easy.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Has he looked at the oil filter or anything? i could be a leak coming from that area...
Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Been busy with classes starting back up. I let the car sit for about 30 hours because I was doing homework.. A oil leak developed over night the puddle was from the middle and seeped all the way to the drivers side tire... I am taking it in at 10am 2morrow and dropping it off. Mechanic said no problem... Have to get this fixed before I move on to my shocks and exhaust .
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If rear main seal is leaking it would likely be all over the flywheel and converter. If not then it would maybe be a rear oil pan leak or something similar I would think.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I am taking it in the morning..... I want to get to the bottom of it so i can get the oil leak issue fixed so i can put some money intro shocks , and my exhaust set up
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

You want to get to the bottom of it stop taking it to the mechanic. You could figure it out in thirty minutes.
He doesn't care when its fixed. You do.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

He said valve cover and valley cover gaskets need replacing. 350 parts included. What do you guys think? I dont have time to do it my self
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with yours...i need to get my rear main replaced and i was quoted $850 from a place here in san diego. im gonna try to find somewhere cheaper or wing it and try it myself.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Now he is telling me that the oil pan.gasket has some aeepage but shouldnt drip. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a money pit. He also said the smart thing to do is start from the top and work down . What do you veterans think ? Shady or telling me the truth
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

He's making a buck.

If you have time to drive there talk to him two or three times post on here etc... You have the time to locate this leak but for whatever real reason you won't figure this out.

Not knowig much of anything and extremely simple every day tools you can change valve covers in an hour. Serious.. Unplug coils.. Take off four bolts holding covers.. Pull it off.. Replace gasket.. Put everything back on. I could honestly swap valve cover gaskets in twenty minutes take a beer break with only a 10mm deep well 1/4 drive.. Seriously.
The valley cover is also fairly simple and can be done with simple tools.. Less than two hours easily. Pop lid off.. Undo all bolts for intake.. Pull out front and rubber band he rear to hold them up. Unplug rear sensor and vacuum tube for air.. Take off brake booster line.. Slide intake out.. Good news you now have easy access to the oil sending unit that won't take 3 minutes to swap out and is verycommon to break and leak. Take bolts off for valley.. Replace gasket... Put everything back on.

You could do the valve cover valley cover and osu in 2.5 hours max with simple tools.
. For the price of gaskets.

m
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

the problem is that I am a full time student with a big work load.. I also dont have the resources or someone to give me a ride back and forth at the moment to get this stuff done. if the car keeps leaking after i fix this. I am going to do my oil pan gasket , and my oil sending unit by my self... the intake is on top of the motor correct ? what else could leak oil filter? i know thats an easy fix.. just change it when i change my oil ? I have done rear main seal , valley cover gasket ,valve cover gasket ,pcv replacement.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like the mechanic is just throwing parts at it. He said the rear main seal was bad, replaces it and it's still there. Now it's the intake and oil pan...

Quick Reply: Rear main Seal repair