General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low coolant light?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low coolant light?

I recently bought this camaro, I noticed that the coolant is green as opposed to the orange dex cool so I assume the previous owner switched it.

I have been getting this low coolant light and cant figure out why, someone mentioned a sensor behind the radiator cap that can be cleaned?

The coolant is not low, and the car doesnt run hot, except for the afternoon when its about 80 it gets to about the middle mark (210 I believe) One thing I have noticed is that in the mornings when it is cool, the temp hardly rises and it takes about 20 minutes of freeway driving for that light to come on. In the afternoon when I go home it only takes a short distance before the light turns on. Any suggestions?

Also on an unrelated note, when my car has been sitting in the sun all day during work, my pass window doesnt roll down. Once I drive around for about 15 minutes and it cools down inside a little it will roll up and down fine. Whats up with that?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Not sure on the window. Thats odd. But umm the sensor is probably just bad on the coolant. I would recommend switching back to the "qualified" coolant. Dex-cool is a shitty brand imo but it works. Just do a coolant flush and refill with the recommended coolant see if that helps. also looks like in the pic your oil pressure is a bit low.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hey i have that same light on its been on forever lol...can i ask were is that sensor? Sorry
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'm not a fan of Dex Cool and don't use it in anything. I had a Blazer a few years ago that had Dex cool issues... Anyway first thing I would do for the low coolant light is clean the sensor. Sensor is located in the radiator on the passenger side not too far down below the cap. It's rectangular and has a metal clip holding it. Pull it out and see how gunked up it is.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Did you search for this issue? There are tons of threads on this and it's a common problem.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced the sensor because of the annoying misinformation. Within several months, the light came back on again. I just disconnected the sensor and the problem is gone.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xny1989
I replaced the sensor because of the annoying misinformation. Within several months, the light came back on again. I just disconnected the sensor and the problem is gone.
I'm ready to do this on mine... I dont even remember it working after replacing it... so annoying. The low oil sensor is the other one thats on my nerves.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Until the next problem comes, which will be a bigger one.

Several folks here, including me, have had this sensor save our engines. The water pump can fail in a method that puts air in the radiator and leaves the overflow full. Without the sensor, the only way to know this is happening is the sensor - or be paranoid and constantly look in the radiator.

It's not the most durable piece of equipment on the car, but IMO - well worth repairing.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99

Several folks here, including me, have had this sensor save our engines. The water pump can fail in a method that puts air in the radiator and leaves the overflow full. Without the sensor, the only way to know this is happening is the sensor - or be paranoid and constantly look in the radiator.

It's not the most durable piece of equipment on the car, but IMO - well worth repairing.
Wouldn't the temp gauge come in handy then? Every time I've had air in my system I've had a temp spike.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by notsue
I'm ready to do this on mine... I dont even remember it working after replacing it... so annoying. The low oil sensor is the other one thats on my nerves.
Wouldn't the temp gauge come in handy then? Every time I've had air in my system I've had a temp spike.
I just replaced my water pump, thanks to my coolant sensor that warned me a few weeks before i eventually found that the water pump was bad (leaking in the middle bottom are of the pump). Light would come on, seemed fine, than next time i check it it was very low on coolant, light save my car. The temp gauge was no help cause my car never over heated, but lately been just driving around town and not freeway.

Onto a different subject, my oil sensor once came on the same year i bought my car (used) and i had to refill with 2 and a half quarts of oil, and i was driving freeway. Never had that problem again because i check oil level routinely.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Where is the wire/connector that connects to the coolant level sensor in the radiator and what color is it? 95 Camaro. It is currently disconnected and I can't find the wire to save my life. I think someone prior to me cut the wire off to make the light go out? I would like to find the wire and reconnect it properly.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jrclayton
Not sure on the window. Thats odd. But umm the sensor is probably just bad on the coolant. I would recommend switching back to the "qualified" coolant. Dex-cool is a shitty brand imo but it works. Just do a coolant flush and refill with the recommended coolant see if that helps. also looks like in the pic your oil pressure is a bit low.
Originally Posted by 98boxer
I just replaced my water pump, thanks to my coolant sensor that warned me a few weeks before i eventually found that the water pump was bad (leaking in the middle bottom are of the pump). Light would come on, seemed fine, than next time i check it it was very low on coolant, light save my car. The temp gauge was no help cause my car never over heated, but lately been just driving around town and not freeway.

Onto a different subject, my oil sensor once came on the same year i bought my car (used) and i had to refill with 2 and a half quarts of oil, and i was driving freeway. Never had that problem again because i check oil level routinely.
The car leaks a little oil, when I first bought it (used) the oil pressure dropped low around 19-20 after an hour of driving. Since I got the oil changed (synthetic) the oil pressure seems to never drop below about 30 after an hour of driving... and it seems to leak less?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99

Happened on my wife's car when the water pump seized. However the distinct smell of coolant gushing out of the overflow will tell you more than that sensor will.

Un plug it, the sensor is $65 and breaks just as easily, although I suppose the may have gotten cheaper since I checked a few years ago. I suppose best thing is buy a new sensor and save the receipt autozone has a lifetime warranty on sensors
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Sure, if you don't mind being stranded. The level sensor can save you from that situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low coolant light?