General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wondering if it is worth it to keep my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wondering if it is worth it to keep my Camaro

I've got an 02 Camaro SS (auto) that has been the biggest pain in the *** to fix. My parents let the car sit for at least 5 years and now they finally let me (attempt to) fix it for myself. Car wouldnt start. Took it into the shop and they got a new fuel pump, changed spark plugs, air filter, gas filter, trany flush, etc. Just a major tune up. Got it back and went to get it smogged. Didnt pass because of new battery. Took it driving then it overheated. Took it back to the shop. They said coolant temperature sensor. Changed it out, got it back. Took it driving to reset it because of the new battery so it could pass smog. While on the freeway, lost all power. No brakes, no acceleration. Got it towed back to my house and ran my obd to it. Got the codes P0758 (Shift Solenoid B Electrical) and P0102 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input). As of now the car won't turn over. Crank but won't start. Id appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd start by checking the engine wiring that runs near exhaust pipes to see if any are out of place and melted. Sometimes this happens, particularly for folks doing exhaust/jeader work.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

I'd also start doing the work myself....you'll go broke quickly by taking it to the shop every time it hiccups.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also look for rodent damage on the wiring harnesses throughout the car, if it sat that long some mice might have made it their new home.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hardbones
Also look for rodent damage on the wiring harnesses throughout the car, if it sat that long some mice might have made it their new home.
We actually do have a rat problem at my house and this would make a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wishmycamaroworked
Got it back and went to get it smogged. Didnt pass because of new battery. Took it driving then it overheated. Took it back to the shop. They said coolant temperature sensor.
i would pull your underhood fuse boxes apart and look underneath for signs of rodents.
i would bet on a thermostat causing the overheat, and not the sender. I'd be careful going to that shop they might be taking you for a ride on parts.

how does a new battery cause it to fail emissions ?
it would be your diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) that caused the failure.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishmycamaroworked
We actually do have a rat problem at my house and this would make a lot of sense. Thanks!
Dude, you will need to go over every bit of wiring with a fine-toothed comb. Pack rats will destroy a car. My buddy has a rat problem and I kid you not he's dumped probably $5k into his car just fighting issues due to rats chewing wires. I've even had them chew through one of my spark plug wires on my truck!

And yeah man, you will go broke way before you ever get this thing running if you don't do most of the work yourself.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i would pull your underhood fuse boxes apart and look underneath for signs of rodents.
i would bet on a thermostat causing the overheat, and not the sender. I'd be careful going to that shop they might be taking you for a ride on parts.

how does a new battery cause it to fail emissions ?
it would be your diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) that caused the failure.
the car has to relearn the long term fuel trims after sitting long enough without power which can cause it to run rich and fail emissions testing, or at least that is my understanding of it, we don't have emissions testing where I live.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the car has to relearn the long term fuel trims after sitting long enough without power which can cause it to run rich and fail emissions testing, or at least that is my understanding of it, we don't have emissions testing where I live.
A new battery causes it to fail emissions because it clears all your codes. You need to drive 30 miles (or maybe it's 60) before the computer resets everything. When they scan your codes they can tell if your codes have just been cleared, which is why you can't just clear your codes 10 minutes before you get your emissions testing done....

Quick Reply: wondering if it is worth it to keep my Camaro