General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Monsoon stereo removal help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon stereo removal help

Car is an '01 pontiac firebird formula. So i've removed the trim bezel and removed the screws that hold the radio in place. The unit comes out but not far enough for me to have access to unplug it. I can't even see the back of it yet. Should i just yank it and pray nothing gets damaged? Or is there a secret ninja move to get it to come out a few inches more? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I seem to remember the wiring harness getting hung on something back there (perhaps the bracket for the rear support brace?) the first time I pulled the radio on most or maybe all of my 4th gens (I've definitely removed it from all of them, as it's a necessary part of deleting the DRLs and I always delete the DRLs.)

I don't remember doing anything special, just wiggling it around until it pulled out I guess. It's been a while though.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^yep. You might try removing the HVAC panel to allow you to get your hand being the radio and untangle the snag.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks fellers. I'll go at it again today. So what is this DRLs?? Maybe i should delete mine too? Thx.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Ok thanks fellers. I'll go at it again today. So what is this DRLs?? Maybe i should delete mine too? Thx.
Daytime Running Lights.

Some people like them, personally I hate them. There is no actual need to delete them, it's just a matter of preference. There is a minor circuit board modification that needs to be made behind the radio if you wanted to disable the DRL feature.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Daytime Running Lights.

Some people like them, personally I hate them. There is no actual need to delete them, it's just a matter of preference. There is a minor circuit board modification that needs to be made behind the radio if you wanted to disable the DRL feature.
If you would. Do you mind explaining this? I don't really care for them either. Thx.

Btw i got the radio out. I did have to yank it pretty good and one of the harnesses came out which was enough for me to get it out enough to remove it all. Upon further inspection the wiring loom got stuck behind the rear mount bracket that sticks up.

Last edited by notnilc20; 09-09-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Cuzz
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is an '01 pontiac firebird formula. So i've removed the trim bezel and removed the screws that hold the radio in place. The unit comes out but not far enough for me to have access to unplug it. I can't even see the back of it yet. Should i just yank it and pray nothing gets damaged? Or is there a secret ninja move to get it to come out a few inches more? Thanks.
Don't yank it, the wire is almost wedged/wrapped around some support back there. What I did was push mu driver seat all the way back, lay on my back out the door, and shine a flash light til I saw the back of the unit, then unplugged it, or you can try to unhook the wire and pull it all the way out, whatever is easier for you.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

Good info to know when I get to where I'll be pulling the stereo out too.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

If you would. Do you mind explaining this? I don't really care for them either. Thx.
There used to be a really great link with comprehensive pictures and instructions on how to do the DRL disable, but that link (and site) seem to be dead now. That's a shame.

There is a black module behind the radio, it's clipped onto the firewall. Inside is a circuit board and if you jumper a couple of the pins (just need a tiny piece of wire and a soldering iron) the DRLs (and auto headlight - for Camaro) will be gone without any sort of affect on anything else. Great mod for those of us who hate the DRLs.

There might be other links, or perhaps threads where the pictures from the original link have been attached and saved. I'll have to look around.

Quick Reply: Monsoon stereo removal help