General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

leaking power steering I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking power steering I think

I fought a puddle under my car and I am pretty sure that's what it is . Anyway I couldn't find where it was coming from but I did notice it trickling down off this thing I am pointing at . Any thoughts ?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the rubber 3/8" hose that is clamped to a port on the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir......

If it is leaking from there you need to check if your alternator has fluid all over it. If it does you have to clean it off or it will kill your alternator.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

I would probably go buy a few cans of brake cleaner......spray all that **** off so its spotless everywhere. Then get the engine to operating temp by driving it so the power steering fluid is also hot.....then see if you can see it leaking. Even get the front tires off the ground and have someone turn the wheels left and right while looking for a leak......could be a small pinhole leak in a line and its spraying fluid in a mist.....

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you turn on the car and have someone turn the wheels, (So the system and all the tubes will pressurize.) you should be able to look under the car and see where it is coming from.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Yep my alternator has fluid on it . How difficult is it to swap the high pressure hose ( I think that's what it's called ) . Later today I will start the car and do lock to lock turns

Edit : did lock to lock turns . Nothing can out . I think the reservoir is cracked or something . How do swap it out ?

Last edited by Camaraderie; 09-25-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: updated status
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
Yep my alternator has fluid on it .

Everyone's
alternator has fluid on it. This isn't an issue or necessarily an indicator of one. If you have sludge on the top of your tank, its just from typical overflows. Flush your fluid and it will take care of that.

How difficult is it to swap the high pressure hose ( I think that's what it's called ) .
It's more messy than difficult. Some people have trouble getting to the connection on the pump and have to remove the pump. (This will depend on your tools and the size of your hands.)

Edit : did lock to lock turns . Nothing can out . I think the reservoir is cracked or something . How do swap it out ?
What is your fluid level in the reservoir? A cracked one would be uncommon and changing it is a PITA.

Are you sure your leak was PS fluid? If so, next - I'd take a long drive, park the car, and see if you can re-create your initial drip.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Yep my alternator has fluid on it . How difficult is it to swap the high pressure hose ( I think that's what it's called ) . Later today I will start the car and do lock to lock turns

As wssix99 said....they are all dirty sometimes. But if its raw, wet and gummy new fluid.....then most likely your hose is leaking where it attaches to the port on the bottom of the reservoir.....or yes, the reservoir itself could be cracked. If its that rubber (low pressure) return line to the reservoir then its $10.00 and 5 minutes of your time. If its the reservoir that needs to be changed, I honestly don't know how to do that as mine is factory original and is still fine...so its a job I never had to do/learn how to do......

Make sure its just not a leaky rubber hose.

The high pressure hose that is metal lines and rubber hose in one assembly and attaches to the reservoir and the rack....I changed that line in about 15 minutes with my front end up on ramps. Easy.....

And I know its controversial....but when my line leaked all over my alternator I used a full can of WD-40 to break up all the power steering fluid, then blasted it with hose water. Clean as new and worked fine. It was completely coated in power steering fluid.....
I would probably soak it with Formula 88 (degreaser) if it ever happened again, then rinse with water.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
And I know its controversial....but when my line leaked all over my alternator I used a full can of WD-40 to break up all the power steering fluid, then blasted it with hose water. Clean as new and worked fine. It was completely coated in power steering fluid.....
I, too, ignore the hubbub about getting the alternator wet. It's exposed to the elements and can take a beating. Period. After I changed my PS pressure hose, I doused the alternator and everything that was covered in grime with brake cleaner. All was well in the world -- and a bit less messy.

Anyway, as far as the install of the line goes, my advice is to start at the pump end and cut the hose off as close to the fitting as possible. This should allow you to get a wrench on it even if you have gorilla hands.

Lastly, be sure to remove the power steering cooler if you haven't done so already.

Quick Reply: leaking power steering I think