General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Keyless entry question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry question.

I have a 98 Trans Am that started doing some screwy stuff yesterday when I lock or unlock the car. When I press the unlock button on the keyless remote the headlights will pop up and then go back down. Once they're down the motor on the left headlight continues to run for about another 3 or 4 seconds. The same thing happens when you lock the car. It also happens if you use the key to unlock the car and then turn the ignition to ACC or you lock the doors with the button on the door and then shut the door.
I looked in the manual and there is a bunch of stuff on how to program door locks and alarms but I didn't see anything on the headlights flipping up automatically. I'm hoping someone here may have seen this before and know how to fix it without going to the dealership. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the heck is that thing doing? I have never heard of that happening!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
STF Veteran

Is it the factory remote? If so you have some serious wiring issues.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JensTA1
I have a 98 Trans Am that started doing some screwy stuff yesterday when I lock or unlock the car. When I press the unlock button on the keyless remote the headlights will pop up and then go back down. Once they're down the motor on the left headlight continues to run for about another 3 or 4 seconds. The same thing happens when you lock the car. It also happens if you use the key to unlock the car and then turn the ignition to ACC or you lock the doors with the button on the door and then shut the door.
I looked in the manual and there is a bunch of stuff on how to program door locks and alarms but I didn't see anything on the headlights flipping up automatically. I'm hoping someone here may have seen this before and know how to fix it without going to the dealership. Thanks.
I almost had my car 'jacked' and this happened. I took it to the dealership (still under warranty) they said all they did was replace the light motor.

?????

Good luck with it.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your headlight motor is stripped.

Replace the motor, or do the 180 mod, and your problems will be solved

its due to the crappy design, and current sensing of the headlight control module.

Ryan.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
your headlight motor is stripped.

Replace the motor, or do the 180 mod, and your problems will be solved

its due to the crappy design, and current sensing of the headlight control module.

Ryan.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help so far. I had one of the motors replaced a couple years ago. This time I'm going to try the brass gears. That should fix the problem with the motor continuing to run. However I am still scrathing my head as to why they automatically flip up and down when you lock or unlock the car.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
STF Veteran

Ryan nailed it on the head. When the keyless pulses the park light circuit, the signal is sensed by the headlight control module and if the motor is stripped it'll scare the **** out of you. Happened twice on my old 97 LT1.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all your help. I did the 180 mod and that fixed it. I have the brass motor gears on order. What was GM thinking with that design. It seems like something Ford would do.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Please email me where you bought the brass motor gears. I have a '99 and mine will probably need to be replaced soon.

JohnR@FlowstarInc.com

Thanks,
John
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Teching In

try e-bay... that's where I got my brass gears