General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Overheating. Radiator Not circulating (new water pump)

Old 05-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Overheating. Radiator Not circulating(new waterpump)

I have a 94 Camaro Lt1. I just changed the Waterpump today. Car is stilll overheating, Water is not circulating in the radiator and is spilling out of the top of the coolant cap. The T-Stat is good. Please help!!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Launching!

did you bleed the system when you refilled the radiator? if you didnt you may have some air trapped in there. im not a big tech so someone else may have to tell you how to bleed it.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Yes its been bled a few times. Maybe the radiator is stopped up? Anyone know of a way to test this?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Launching!

well the radiator has and inlet and and outlet. do you have a garden hose?

dont wet the opti
Old 05-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Ok, i took the bottom hose of and water flows through it. Is it possible the waterpump shaft isnt turning? is there a way to check if the waterpump is working?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Launching!

it could possibly be your radiator, i would check if both hoses from the radiator are flowing if both hoses get hot then radiateor is good but if not mybe your radiator or T-STAT no good just a suggestion. good luck!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Waterpump is direct drive..so unless it was bad when you bought it..it should be working ok. (how does the coolant look with the cap off? You should see it flowing/circulating)
Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Its not circulating.
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Waterpump is direct drive..so unless it was bad when you bought it..it should be working ok. (how does the coolant look with the cap off? You should see it flowing/circulating)
Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My wife had an '89 GTA that did the same thing. It had a bunch of air trapped in the top lines(these are reverse cooled engines) bled the hell out of it, if I remember right there were a couple of openings at the top lines somewhere to assist in the bleeding process.Just trying to help.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

First, make sure you put the shaft back on between the pump and cam gear. I'm not criticizing you, but I have done that a few times and I'm tearing my engine apart all the time. The t-stat may be bad. you can check that in a pot of water on the stove. Even better if you have an oven thermometer to check the temp. $2.50 at wally world. if it works fine, do as they said above, bleed the hell out of it.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Sapper - Good info

I was thinking the same thing.

I also crack both bleeders, before I add coolant to the system...to prevent any air blockages in the system. Its a pita to bleed sometimes. Good luck! Double check that waterpump shaft.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Teching In

The waterpump shaft is turning. Both hoses fill warm(but not a whole lot of water in them). Bled system again. Tried with and whitout T-stat. The oil looks good(no water). after warmed up it stays in the middle of the guage, and only gets hot sometimes, before it stayed cool all the time. The water level seems to go up and down in the radiator. Still no clue. maybe headgasket?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by koomogee
The waterpump shaft is turning. Both hoses fill warm(but not a whole lot of water in them). Bled system again. Tried with and whitout T-stat. The oil looks good(no water). after warmed up it stays in the middle of the guage, and only gets hot sometimes, before it stayed cool all the time. The water level seems to go up and down in the radiator. Still no clue. maybe headgasket?
If it was headgasket, I would think the water would be pouring down the side of the engine. Besides, the water would have to get into the engine to be running down it. In other words, if it were headgasket then you would have a working water pump because the circulating coolant would be coming out from under the heads (or going out throught the exhaust, which ever side the gasket blew). If I remember, isn't there some little "collar" or something that goes around that "pin" on the back of the water pump? Doesn't that connect the pump to the drive? Are you sure it is turning? When I had mine off, it looked like it would be real easy to mess that drive up (that "collar" falling off and you not noticing). Anyway, flush the radiator. I filled my engine up with hose water 4 or 5 times and drained it to get all that **** out of there and believe me it was in there. I would flush the radiator out of the car, just stick a garden hose in it and blow water through it. Then hook it back up and try to get the water circulating before you wasted any coolant. On the Becool and Griffin radiators, my stocker runs 170 ALL the time and never gets hot. I have stock pump and a 160 stat. All my friends are amazed at how cool it runs. I did take out all that plastic **** in front of the radiator (two pieces?).
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

we bled my car 9 or 10 times before we stopped this problem.
when we filled the radiator, we had not opened the bleed screws and that caused the large airpockets to form in the heads.

try draining everything and then refilling with the bleed screws open.
This will force the air out the screws instead of pushing it into the heads which is likely what your problem is.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
8 Second Club

you will not always get water out when a head gasket is blown i had a nos backfire . the fire ring was good but the paper part to the water pas. was gone would push water out but that was all. get hot and fill overflow this was not found even with comp. test found with leakdown it pushed water out. the small hose coming from the back of heads should be flowing good pull it and check it
also you have the old thermostat cut the legs off it where it is just a hole put it in see if you have water circ. i would do this at last source. also fill it slow i have even jacked my car up in front on pass side this will help get rid of air. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Overheating. Radiator Not circulating (new water pump)