General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission hitting floorboard???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission hitting floorboard???

I have what seems to be the transmission hitting the floorboard of my car. I have a built tranny so the 1-2 shift is hard and causes this loud noise from under the center console. I also hear it when I drive over bumps or rough roads. I always thought it was my headers/ORY so I had the motor mounts changed while having an oil leak fixed to see if that helped and it didn't. I put the car back to stock and I still get this noise so it was never the headers/ORY. I changed the transmission mount before I even had this noise so I'm kind of lost as to what it could be. Anybody have a lead to where it can be coming from??? Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

torque arm bushing?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
torque arm bushing?
This would be my guess, since there really isn't too much else that clunk around the transmission and under the console.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I'll go ahead and order a bushing see if that helps. Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of trans mount did you use? I went through 3 stock replacements in one summer before i bought a poly. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good anymore. The symptoms sound like it could be a trans mount.

Take a floor jack and lightly jack up the trans while watching to see if the mount separates.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zstr28
What kind of trans mount did you use? I went through 3 stock replacements in one summer before i bought a poly. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good anymore. The symptoms sound like it could be a trans mount.

Take a floor jack and lightly jack up the trans while watching to see if the mount separates.
I put in a poly trans mount. My dad and I are going to try and change the torque arm bushing this weekend but before we start I'll try out lightly jacking up the transmission to check for separation. If there's seperation does that mean the trans mount is loose?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

OK so my dad and I finally went ahead and changed the torque arm bushing with a poly replacement and I tightened up the bolts of the transmission mount a tad bit with the same results. I still get what sounds like the transmission hitting under the center console when I acceleration hard from a stop or if I'm driving on bumpy roads. Can it be a loose bolt that holds the transmission in place???
Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
OK so my dad and I finally went ahead and changed the torque arm bushing with a poly replacement and I tightened up the bolts of the transmission mount a tad bit with the same results. I still get what sounds like the transmission hitting under the center console when I acceleration hard from a stop or if I'm driving on bumpy roads. Can it be a loose bolt that holds the transmission in place???
Rear trans mount is busted. Pull it off, I'm going with it separated into two pieces.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Rear trans mount is busted. Pull it off, I'm going with it separated into two pieces.
After thinking about it and doing some more searching on here that's what I believe is going on. I went ahead and ordered a new rubber transmission mount to replace the poly. We'll see if I finally guess it right
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

The place that put in the transmission mount didn't put the bolt that goes through the cross member and into the mount Just thought I'd let everyone know the good news haha. No more banging coming from under the car
Old 03-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same issue when I first got my car I changed the torque arm bushing and trans mount to polyurethane and haven't had any issues with it at all
Old 03-03-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

It was a pain. I had the banging for over 2 years and to make things worst the car is my DD. Just glad that my dad and I finally figured it out

Quick Reply: Transmission hitting floorboard???