Notices
General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacement fuel level sensor

 
Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 PM
  #1  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement fuel level sensor

I'm installing a Racetronix fuel pump kit and noticed that the fuel level sensor fingers are pretty worn. So I'm looking for a replacement fuel level sensor. Will sensors for other applications work? They look similar, my sensor sweeps from about 50 to 250 ohms.

Auto Zone and O'Reilly have the below part, but I don't know the resistance values:
Dorman P/N 911-005 for 2000 Chevrolet Truck Silverado 1500 2WD 5.3L SFI 8cyl


2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM
  #2  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: 911-005

Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: 911-007

ACDelco - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: SK1019

ACDelco - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: SK1083
2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-03-2015, 02:08 PM
  #3  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (10)
 
josh4ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hoxie,Kansas
Posts: 948
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=2000 WS6 Formula;18600834]Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: 911-005

Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: 911-007

ACDelco - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: SK1019

ACDelco - Fuel Level Sensor
Part Number: SK1083[/QUOTE
I need 1 also. Which ac delco it correct? Or both work?
josh4ku is offline  
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM
  #4  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by josh4ku View Post
I need 1 also. Which ac delco it correct? Or both work?
I don't know yet, heading out soon to find one, I'll post later when everything is back together.
2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 AM
  #5  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor Part Number: 911-005 "Works".

It is a kit with fuel level sensor, connectors, tank seal, and a float. Just use the fuel level sensor. Remove the float, use a pin to remove the contacts from the connector, use a razor blade to bend out the locking tabs on the contacts and insert into your connector.





Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor Kit Part Number: 911-005

Last edited by 2000 WS6 Formula; 01-04-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added photo
2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM
  #6  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default























2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 PM
  #7  
On The Tree
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I know this is an old thread but did that Dorman fuel level sending unit work to replace your factory one?
Tom565 is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 PM
  #8  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula View Post
The Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor Part Number: 911-005 "Works".

It is a kit with fuel level sensor, connectors, tank seal, and a float. Just use the fuel level sensor. Remove the float, use a pin to remove the contacts from the connector, use a razor blade to bend out the locking tabs on the contacts and insert into your connector.





Dorman - Fuel Level Sensor Kit Part Number: 911-005
Originally Posted by Tom565 View Post
I know this is an old thread but did that Dorman fuel level sending unit work to replace your factory one?
.......
2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
  #9  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So is that a yes? lol...anyways, people don't build their engines at the same time. With the inclusion of people telling others to search before posting redundant questions, I can see why the previous poster wanted to know if it worked, not if you made it fit. Either way, thanks for the info. I was looking into whether or not I could bypass buying all the other unnecessary items and shave a few bucks and this is what I came across. I searched ebay for "2001 trans am fuel level sensor" and found someone selling Herko part number GFC13 for about 14 bucks. In the item description i saw a bunch of interchange part numbers, a few matching, one of which was 67300-E3368M. This Bosch pump and airtex assembly is compatible with 99-02 5.7 f bodies. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't feel like paying for the extra stuff that you wont or don't need, then this may work.
Jojo23460 is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:09 PM
  #10  
On The Tree
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jojo23460 View Post
So is that a yes? lol...anyways, people don't build their engines at the same time. With the inclusion of people telling others to search before posting redundant questions, I can see why the previous poster wanted to know if it worked, not if you made it fit. Either way, thanks for the info. I was looking into whether or not I could bypass buying all the other unnecessary items and shave a few bucks and this is what I came across. I searched ebay for "2001 trans am fuel level sensor" and found someone selling Herko part number GFC13 for about 14 bucks. In the item description i saw a bunch of interchange part numbers, a few matching, one of which was 67300-E3368M. This Bosch pump and airtex assembly is compatible with 99-02 5.7 f bodies. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't feel like paying for the extra stuff that you wont or don't need, then this may work.
Just for an update, the "Fuel Level Sensor Dorman 911-005" does work. I spent $25 for the whole setup on ebay. Of course I only ended up using the sensor and not the rest of the stuff. Either way, my build is done, my car is driving and my fuel gauge is reading the correct level with the above sensor it in. Hope this helps for future reference.
Tom565 is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM
  #11  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
sjsingle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 5,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

yes.......lots of leftover parts with the dorman kit...and the wires are a bit longer ( just tuck them in the bucket )..but still waaaaay cheaper than acdelco
sjsingle1 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 PM
  #12  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Gave this Dorman 911-005 part a try and the first thing I noticed is that the rod connecting to the float looks nothing like OEM. The bends are entirely different. So I used the OEM float and rod attachment with this new sensor. Turned the key, fuel level at empty. Tried it a few more times, still empty. Started the car, shut it down,gauge still showed empty. Cut the power, tried it again, gauge moved to half a tank, which seemed correct. Started the car, it stayed at half tank. Shut it down, now the gauge is showing empty again. All the contacts within the tank basket are secure and nothing is crimped. Removed the whole assembly. Tested to see if the fuel level gauged moved when moving the float. It didn't. Changed out bulkhead. Moved just fine. Buttoned it up, filled the tank, tank now showing full. We'll see if this holds up.


Last edited by 5.7stroker; 05-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.
5.7stroker is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 AM
  #13  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Didn't hold up. The "check gauges" light is on now and it's showing full tank. How do I keep damaging these sensors?
5.7stroker is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM
  #14  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2000 WS6 Formula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Sometimes watching YouTube videos help for learning on how not to do it:.

Part One Fuel Pump Trap door



Part Two Fuel Pump Replace
2000 WS6 Formula is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM
  #15  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I believe my issue is the wiring leading to the bulk fitting as the internal wiring in the pump is fine.
5.7stroker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement fuel level sensor


About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: