General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Proper LS1 Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proper LS1 Coolant

I plan on flushing the coolant in my bird sometime in the next couple weeks. I am curious as to which coolant would be safe to use. Do I actually need to go to a gm stealership and buy their DEX COOL? The coolant that I am considering is Prestone's "GM DEX COOL approved" coolant. It is available at local parts stores, relatively inexpensive, and comes prediluted (I don't want to mess with getting distilled water or with mixing it). Would this coolant be acceptable for use in my car? Also, before anyone mentions it, I do not want to replace the DEX COOL with ant other type of coolant (green, etc...) after the flush. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Launching!

I run zerex G05 in both of my camaros. Just flushed the dexcool out really good by filling with straight water about 4-5 times run it for a couple minutes, drain and repeat. Also had the t-stat out when I did this.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Launching!

The Prestone Dex stuff is what I use. I'm even lazy enough to use the 50/50 but that's just me. Anyway, the factory original dexcool came out looking just fine. Just buy the proper amount that you need, mix it properly and you'll be good to go. I've had to empty the system a couple times due to a bad water pump then later a cracked radiator. Each time, the coolant came out looking just fine. With new coolant in each time, it was wound up being a lazy mans flush.

Should probably replace your hoses while you're at it. Best time to do it, when doing a flush.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elthesh
The Prestone Dex stuff is what I use. I'm even lazy enough to use the 50/50 but that's just me. Anyway, the factory original dexcool came out looking just fine. Just buy the proper amount that you need, mix it properly and you'll be good to go. I've had to empty the system a couple times due to a bad water pump then later a cracked radiator. Each time, the coolant came out looking just fine. With new coolant in each time, it was wound up being a lazy mans flush.

Should probably replace your hoses while you're at it. Best time to do it, when doing a flush.
I planned on using the 50/50 too lol! How much should I need to refill it after a complete flush? 2 jugs of the 50/50?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002 camaro original owner, 13 years old, 70k miles. nothing but dexcool, no problems. i changed it twice, 2nd time was when i had to replace a failed thermostat.
don't forget my engine is the LS1 which is all aluminum.
my truck a used 2006 sierra with 8.1L iron block and heads, i changed the coolant in 2013 shortly after buying truck and no problems there.
so fwiw i would stick with dexcool, just buy the prestone or havoline or whatever version at walmart. and use distilled water.
for any car you basically need 2 gallons of full strength dexcool then buy 2 gallons of distilled water. the cooling system capacity is around 12 quarts, and you be left with around a gallon of 50/50 mix.
and one more fwiw if you have no obvious problems then just drain the coolant via dropping the lower radiator hose then refill with fresh. don't flush with a garden hose or use other chemicals you are just wasting money and either the chemical or extra garden hose water will be left in the system.

because of your username i assume you have an LT1 which is iron block... but your thread title is "proper LS1 coolant"
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
I planned on using the 50/50 too lol! How much should I need to refill it after a complete flush? 2 jugs of the 50/50?
I always overdo it. I buy 2 gallons of the stuff and never use both. That's with just removing the hoses and letting it all drain out. I don't know what's left in the block, but the radiator and everything from the hose outlets up empties out. I know I'd buy 3 and likely never touch the 3rd bottle. You can always return it if you don't use it or keep it for a rainy day.

Oh, and since you seem to have an LT1, make sure you don't let any of that liquid dump on your optispark. Those things are allergic to water. Maybe double bag it with rubber bands too before you open things up to be safe.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
2002 camaro original owner, 13 years old, 70k miles. nothing but dexcool, no problems. i changed it twice, 2nd time was when i had to replace a failed thermostat.
don't forget my engine is the LS1 which is all aluminum.
my truck a used 2006 sierra with 8.1L iron block and heads, i changed the coolant in 2013 shortly after buying truck and no problems there.
so fwiw i would stick with dexcool, just buy the prestone or havoline or whatever version at walmart. and use distilled water.
for any car you basically need 2 gallons of full strength dexcool then buy 2 gallons of distilled water. the cooling system capacity is around 12 quarts, and you be left with around a gallon of 50/50 mix.
and one more fwiw if you have no obvious problems then just drain the coolant via dropping the lower radiator hose then refill with fresh. don't flush with a garden hose or use other chemicals you are just wasting money and either the chemical or extra garden hose water will be left in the system.

because of your username i assume you have an LT1 which is iron block... but your thread title is "proper LS1 coolant"
I have owned two LT1 camaros in the past (hence the username). As of about 3 weeks ago, I am the proud owner of a '99 formula w/ the LS1. I don't know how to or if it is even possible to change my username, but my signature is up to date.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elthesh
I always overdo it. I buy 2 gallons of the stuff and never use both. That's with just removing the hoses and letting it all drain out. I don't know what's left in the block, but the radiator and everything from the hose outlets up empties out. I know I'd buy 3 and likely never touch the 3rd bottle. You can always return it if you don't use it or keep it for a rainy day.

Oh, and since you seem to have an LT1, make sure you don't let any of that liquid dump on your optispark. Those things are allergic to water. Maybe double bag it with rubber bands too before you open things up to be safe.
I'll go ahead and get three then. (and see previous post regarding the lt1 vs ls1 thing lol)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Ah, no more optispark. You're home free then! lol The LS1 setup is really easy to deal with. You should have no problems at all.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

17 years of Dexcool in my '98 (been using the Prestone "GM Approved" Dexcool for the last decade at least) and not a single issue. The entire cooling system is still 100% assembly line original with no leaks and no failures of any kind. I did a full system flush when it was 5-6 years old, and I've been doing basic drain/refills every two years thereafter. I just did a drain/refill last month, everything inside the radiator was spotless and what came out the petcock looked excellent.

Don't believe the rumors about Dexcool being "bad", it's not the coolant itself but rather the conditions that some people use it under. If you let it get way too old, mix it with hard/dirty water, and/or allow a bunch of air to mix in via unchecked leaks/running the system low on coolant, you will develop the Dexcool sludge that people complain about. This won't happen if you properly maintain the cooling system though.

There have been some GM models that have responded poorly to Dexcool, resulting in intake gasket leaks. But the LS1 is not one of those engines, and Dexcool itself is in NO WAY harmful to the LS1 or associated components.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
17 years of Dexcool in my '98 (been using the Prestone "GM Approved" Dexcool for the last decade at least) and not a single issue. The entire cooling system is still 100% assembly line original with no leaks and no failures of any kind. I did a full system flush when it was 5-6 years old, and I've been doing basic drain/refills every two years thereafter. I just did a drain/refill last month, everything inside the radiator was spotless and what came out the petcock looked excellent.

Don't believe the rumors about Dexcool being "bad", it's not the coolant itself but rather the conditions that some people use it under. If you let it get way too old, mix it with hard/dirty water, and/or allow a bunch of air to mix in via unchecked leaks/running the system low on coolant, you will develop the Dexcool sludge that people complain about. This won't happen if you properly maintain the cooling system though.

There have been some GM models that have responded poorly to Dexcool, resulting in intake gasket leaks. But the LS1 is not one of those engines, and Dexcool itself is in NO WAY harmful to the LS1 or associated components.
Thank you, very informative! 1 FMF mentioned that a flush might not be worth it, or do more harm than goood. Is there a way just to tell by looking at something whether or not I need a flush or just to drain and refill the coolant? Honestly. the only reason that I even planned on doing anything at all with the colant is because I just bought the car, and have no idea when it was last done.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

1 FMF mentioned that a flush might not be worth it, or do more harm than goood.
I think he was just referring to the fact that if you flush with a garden hose then you'll be trapping some of that water in the system, therefore negating the "extended life" rating of the coolant (distilled water is recommended for long-life change intervals) and possibly adding contaminants if you have hard water/well water. If you do a flush with distilled water, this would be a non-issue.

If it has been maintained well, then you might not need this. I only did an initial flush on mine because the factory coolant was approaching 6 years old at the time so wanted to get everything out. I had the dealer use their coolant machine for this. Since that time, I've just done simple drain/refills and everything always looks clean so I don't bother with a flush.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A flush on really old coolant is probably not a bad idea, especially if you have no idea how old it is. One of the concerns with Dex-Cool (at least from what I've read) is not always mixing well with other coolants...and forming by-products and gunk. If you don't have Dex-Cool in the car and proceed to add some, that might be an issue. I followed the same pattern RPM WS6 mentioned. I was pretty sure my car had Dex-Cool in it when I got it though I couldn't tell by the color (it was a dingy brown rather than green or orange). Did a flush at Monroe to get out everything possible. Now just doing feed and bleeds would probably be ok. If in doubt, might be best to start fresh. I was pretty surprised at how perfectly clean my radiator appeared following my first drain/flush.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-16-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

^^^^THIS!!!

I prefer the Zerex 'Death Cool' <- only because I once heard that they use slightly better ingredients than the others, even if that is not true.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I plan on flushing the coolant in my bird sometime in the next couple weeks. I am curious as to which coolant would be safe to use. Do I actually need to go to a gm stealership and buy their DEX COOL? The coolant that I am considering is Prestone's "GM DEX COOL approved" coolant. It is available at local parts stores, relatively inexpensive, and comes prediluted (I don't want to mess with getting distilled water or with mixing it). Would this coolant be acceptable for use in my car? Also, before anyone mentions it, I do not want to replace the DEX COOL with ant other type of coolant (green, etc...) after the flush. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I had no real issues with Dexcool for 16 years with my WS6......but I just went GREEN and a bottle of wetter. Much cleaner.....and it certainly runs a bit cooler all around.

I suggest you flush and go GREEN.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

I'm go try Evans coolant next.... I've heard great things about it.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I'm go try Evans coolant next.... I've heard great things about it.
Expensive for no better cooling than putting a bottle of water wetter in with your coolant. Evans works a little better on boosted builds.....won't do anything for a moderate N/A build.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure it says Dex-Cool on the bottle, DON'T USE THE UNIVERSAL STUFF. It should be bright orange in color. Also take note if the coolant is pre-diluted or needs to be mixed, if you mix it use distilled water so you don't get mineral deposits in your cooling system. Not changing your coolant often enough will usually result in leaking head gaskets or bad water pump, because as coolant ages it becomes more acidic and begins to erode stuff in your cooling system such as gaskets leading to bigger problems. You can't change your coolant to often.

Quick Reply: Proper LS1 Coolant