General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting desperate with fuel lines. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting desperate with fuel lines. Advice?

Okay guys, my 99 Z28 got it's brake and fuel lines removed this past summer because the rear-side of them was corroded almost all the way through.

I ordered some stainless steel brake lines from classic tube, but they don't do fuel lines. So I bought some nickel copper line and started attempting to bend new ones.

To hell with that.

I think I've wasted $150 in raw line trying to bend this crap. I've bought tools, tried tricks, you name it. I can turn a bolt but can't come up with enough profanity for trying to bend these damn lines.

So tell me, what have you all done in the past? My car is nowhere near complete so it's not as simple as taking it down to the local shop.

The lines I had were so bad they had to be cut out of the car and as such I've only retained about 90-95% of the original.

This has derailed all interest I had in finishing my car and getting it back on the road after 3 years.

Any advice/consolation/beer is appreciated.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Have you tried Inline Tube? They are the other "big" auto tube supplier (besides Classic Tube.) I'm pretty sure they do fuel lines, and I believe trans cooler lines, though I'm not sure if they have 4th gen stuff on file. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. I used Inline earlier this year for some lines on my '71, there were some oddities and issues with my setup and order, and they really worked with me on getting everything right.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced all the fuel lines once but gm still made then, now they are discontinued. When I needed lines for another fbody I went on fleabay and found a fbody used parts seller, called him and told him what I needed.

Been a few years but I'm sure you can do the same.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

I sent off an email to inline tube, however I'm not very optimistic as I don't have a complete set of original lines for replication, and the lines I do have are in really rough shape. (Thanks previous owner who drove it in New England salt and snow).

I scoured ebay and the web but all the links I found were to the discontinued GM replacement lines (PN 10423252).

This seems like a segment of the market that is now drastically underserved and I'd bet classic or inline would make quite a few sales if they had a file for these cars ready to go.

I'm feeling very discouraged, but I guess we'll see what inline comes back with.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

I just wanted to come back and throw out there that Inline Tube actually had the entire set of fuel lines on file for a 2001 Firebird. As far as I'm aware the hard fuel lines are identical and had sent them over the parts blowout from the GM catalog for reference.

Great price on the job too, in stainless steel even with shipping it cost much less than the flaring tool set alone. Should've just asked instead of dumping over $500 into trying to bend them myself.

If you're reading this and trying to find the hard fuel lines, call Pete over at Inline Tube.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by szalkerous
I just wanted to come back and throw out there that Inline Tube actually had the entire set of fuel lines on file for a 2001 Firebird. As far as I'm aware the hard fuel lines are identical and had sent them over the parts blowout from the GM catalog for reference.

Great price on the job too, in stainless steel even with shipping it cost much less than the flaring tool set alone. Should've just asked instead of dumping over $500 into trying to bend them myself.

If you're reading this and trying to find the hard fuel lines, call Pete over at Inline Tube.
Glad this worked out for you. I figured they'd be able to help as they seem to have a pretty good selection of factory configurations on file. I had a rather obscure brake line routing on my '71, and they did the research to figure out what I needed and found it in their files. Good people there.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Odd they don't list them on their website?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Teching In

I wouldn't give up on it over fuel lines. Bending custom is probably your best bet, just practice up, maybe find someone to help.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Odd they don't list them on their website?
No, they used a template file from another customer who I assume sent in their lines from a 2001 Firebird for custom replication. I would have gladly sent mine in if they weren't mangled and ruined from the removal process.

If you're interested in getting a set, simply contact Pete Nicotri (Sales/Marketing Manager) over at Inline Tube, or call their main number and press 1 for new sales. (I'm not sure if they're a sponsor and I don't know how much I'm allowed to post about a non-sponsor shop).

I'm going to suggest that since the 98-02 cars are starting to get a bit of age under their belts, the demand for parts like these will go up... so I hope others in the same circumstances as I will find this thread and have an avenue to a solution. We're in that odd period between GM discontinuing parts and restoration catalogs not offering a lot since these cars aren't old enough.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Good info ty
Old 12-05-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Just so you know v6 firebirds and v6 Camaros have different fuel lines than v8 firebirds and Camaros. Fuel lines for 99-02 v8 Firebirds, Trans ams and Camaros are the same. So as long as you get lines for a v8 car you're good.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Just so you know v6 firebirds and v6 Camaros have different fuel lines than v8 firebirds and Camaros. Fuel lines for 99-02 v8 Firebirds, Trans ams and Camaros are the same. So as long as you get lines for a v8 car you're good.
Yeah, I always assume people have the V8, so thanks for pointing this out. Most often it seems that V6 model parts do no interchange with V8 model parts.

The exact response I got from inline was as quoted: "I have 2001 Trans Am fuel lines, which I believe are the same thing." I don't believe the Trans Am was offered in a V6, but I never paid a ton of attention to the Pontiac trim levels.

For the record, I sent inline tube this diagram with the line item description for item #15, GM part # 10423252, "PIPE,FUEL FEED & EVAP EMIS & RTN FRT. For: F 5.7G(LS1) (1998-2002)"

Last edited by szalkerous; 12-07-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about running Stainless Braided PTFE lines?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Won-Ton
This is my vote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

So they sold you part no. 15 alone? I need the same part.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

So they sold you part no. 15 alone? I need the same part.
Part No. 15 is technically 4 pieces.

It consists of (with connections from memory):

- the long 5/16 return line from engine bay to tank flexline connection. (GM quick disconnect flares both ends)
- the long 3/8" line from engine bay to three-way block (1 GM quick disconnect flare, 1 compression fitting).
- the short 3/8" line from three way block to tank flexline connection (1 compression fitting, 1 GM quick disconnect flare).
- the very short 3/8" elbow line that connects from 3-way block to fuel filter (compression fittings both ends).

When I spoke to inline tube I was assured all flares and fittings would be pre-installed on the lines. I don't believe it's possible to do the fittings after some of the bend work.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Won-Ton
Originally Posted by Burken01
This is my vote
I looked into this as an option and the cost alone is astronomical for short segments, let alone a 15+ ft run of the stuff (which I couldn't find).

Seems like it's great for short connections but extremely cost ineffective at longer lengths. Perhaps I was searching for the wrong material, but having a shop bend up stainless lines and fittings for under $200 before shipping made that the go-to option.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by szalkerous
When I spoke to inline tube I was assured all flares and fittings would be pre-installed on the lines.
That's exactly how my brake lines came from them; proper fittings already installed and flares (double flares) completed. Bends were a perfect match.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Package came from Inline today, way sooner than I had expected.

At first glace the bends seem correct but after doing some mild comparison to my original lines I have some concerns that the bends aren't exactly accurate, more like 85-90%. I need to do some further investigation. I know they said that they may have these lines hand-bent, and unlike my CNC'd stainless brake lines from classic tube they don't hold up perfectly (or at least within tolerance) to the originals. I need to mock the entire set of lines together and see what I get. I may need to attempt to adjust these.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Well, it looks like they need to go back for tweaking. These lines are too far out of the tight tolerances to get them to run down the inside of the car under the heat shields. Since this car has long tubes waiting for it, I'm not going to entertain removing the shields or letting the lines run outside of them.

Waiting on a response, it's entirely possible the set they used as a template was wrong or wasn't OEM, so I'm offering up my original lines (at least the good section for the engine bay) for a 3rd opinion. Real close but not close enough.

Quick Reply: Getting desperate with fuel lines. Advice?