General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1997 Camaro front turn signals won't blink, either of them

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Camaro front turn signals won't blink, either of them

Hello everyone,

Let's me start by saying I have checked every forum, message board and comment section and I'm still messing something I'm pretty good when it comes to diagnosing stuff on my car but this is driving me nuts and thanks in advance for all your help.

Problem 1: when I press on the brakes my driver side brake light goes out only when my lights are running. If I turn off my running lights my brake lights work just fine. So I checked with multimeter, when lights are off I'm getting 12v but when the lights are running I'm only getting 0.47 v. Rest of my lights are working just find which includes my reverse, blinkers, high brake lights. So my question is can it be brake light switch. Socket has to be working or else it shouldn't come on when lights are running correct? Also I couldn't find a video or picture of where the brake light switch is located on 97 Camaro. I put brand new bulbs dual filaments so I know the bulb is just fine.

Problem 2: my front turn signal does not blinks on either side. Already put new bulbs, changed the sockets and the flasher under the steering column. If I turn on the running lights it low filament comes on but the turn signal which I believe is the second filament still does not comes on or flashes. When I turn on the hazards the rear flashes but the front does not blink. I just installed the electronic flasher so that atleast my rear one work.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's almost 4 months now and it's driving me crazy.

P.S is there a such thing as turn signal switch on 97 Camaro. Where is it located and what does it look like. It's not the same thing as the flasher relay, right?

Last edited by Searchneverend; 06-12-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

there are two flasher units on the car.. one to the left side of the knee bolster and one to the right side...

both are the same part.. did you replace one or both of them?

the brake light switch is attached behind the brake pedal arm by the firewall under the dash
Old 06-13-2016, 02:45 AM
Teching In

I only changed one. Didn't know there was 2, I'll check again tomorrow. Is there any easy way I can access the brake switch or do I have to remove the whole bottom panel to get to it?

Thank you so much!!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The stock flashers are actually different part numbers, but if you replace the stock thermal flashers with aftermarket electronic units, they will take use the same replacement. (The hazards have twice the number of bulbs flashing at any time vs. the turn signals, so the thermal flashers are of a different duty - this is why the car was built with two of them and the turns/hazards don't share a single flasher.)

The brake light problem is due to a short in the wiring or a socket. If the problem were the brake light switch, none of the other brake lights would work.

There is a single set of wires that travels through the car to the bumper, with a connector just inside the car behind the carpeting in the hatch. At that point, the harness splits out in to multiple wires for each bulb. I'd start by:
- Register at Autozone.com and download the wiring schematic for the car (It will give all the colors of the wires, sizes, and show how they are connected at the connector.)
- Unplug the connector and test the voltages at the connector. This will tell you if the short is in the forward part of the car or isolated to the harness in the bumper.

^ Some people have had this issue with a bad bulb or socket.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I couldn't locate the second flasher. Where should I look for it. Both should look the same, correct. Little silver canisters?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Another thing, what is the white square fuse under the steering column?

Thank you
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

one is clipped to the lower dash on the left side and one is clipped to the lower dash on the right side.. after you remove the knee bolster
Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can't really see them well. You may need a mirror or may need to find them by feel. They are clipped to the backside of the rail you can see.

Quick Reply: 1997 Camaro front turn signals won't blink, either of them