General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil leak

Ok its not the oil sending unit. Looked at it with a flex camera. Oil filter is moist and car smells like burned oil but stock pipes are away from engine. Changed rear seal when i did clutch 2 years ago and put it in correctly. What gives?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's an LT1 you might have the infamous and notorious rear intake manifold oil leak
Old 09-18-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a 2002 ls1
Old 09-18-2016, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, I replaced the following:

-oil pressure sending unit
-rear main seal (I should have changed the rear cover gasket as well but failed to do so and think that's the culprit)
-valley cover gasket
-valve cover gaskets

still leaks from top of rear engine and flows to the side where the oil filter is. Shops want $500-$600 just to drop tranny so I guess I'll live with it until I replace the clutch again.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Perhaps the oil filter isn't tight enough or has been over-tightened? Both can cause leaks.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How's your PCV? if its leaking or not relieving the pressure in the block it can cause oil to squirt out the rear main or blow it out again.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I have no idea how to start a thread, so I'll see if anyone here can help since it is the closest thing I could find that resembles my problem.

I have a major oil leak when. I go through 3 quarts of oil on a 2 hour road trip (150 miles). I use 10w-30 royal purple oil on my 5 .7 lt1. I have owned the car for about 3 years. It had a problem when I first got it and got it looked at. I was told then that it was the crank shaft and had it replaced. The entire underneath of my car has oil caked on everything. I'm spending so much money on oil and really wanna figure it out. There's not really much oil on the top of the engine. Everything is underneath. It's a 1995 trans am and it has 70k miles with everything still original, with the exception of ram air. If more information is needed to find out what's wrong with, please let me know and I'll get it for you. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cbyoung93
I have no idea how to start a thread, so I'll see if anyone here can help since it is the closest thing I could find that resembles my problem.

I have a major oil leak when. I go through 3 quarts of oil on a 2 hour road trip (150 miles). I use 10w-30 royal purple oil on my 5 .7 lt1. I have owned the car for about 3 years. It had a problem when I first got it and got it looked at. I was told then that it was the crank shaft and had it replaced. The entire underneath of my car has oil caked on everything. I'm spending so much money on oil and really wanna figure it out. There's not really much oil on the top of the engine. Everything is underneath. It's a 1995 trans am and it has 70k miles with everything still original, with the exception of ram air. If more information is needed to find out what's wrong with, please let me know and I'll get it for you. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
posting pictures for ur leaks will give u more attention - there is a lot to answer abt ( hub of the damper in fronts leaks - mine did / oil filter / oil pan / ..... u need to help us to help u ! sorry

Quick Reply: Oil leak