No Injector Pulse On 5.3L Swap - LS1TECH

General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Injector Pulse On 5.3L Swap

Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Teching In

Default No Injector Pulse On 5.3L Swap

Like the title says-we swapped in a rebuilt 5.3L engine into my sons 2002 Silverado that came factory with a 4.8L. Engine will not fire. So far we have done;
1. Compression test (185 PSI average)
2. Coil test
3. Verified crank signal using scanner and tach moves when cranking
4. Verified 12V+ getting to each fuel injector by using voltmeter
5. Fuel pressure is exactly 58
6. Engine will start if we spray starting fluid into the intake plenum but then stalls shortly when the fluid burns off.
7. NO codes. No pending codes. No history codes. NO codes in any of the different places you would normally look and expect to find one.
8. No check engine light.

I'm open to any help that you guys can offer! I have spent two days on it trying to get it running.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
TECH Resident

VATS disabled? Make sure all grounds are connected/super tight, make sure there are no huge vacuum ports open that would cause a 'vacuum leak'
TXjeepTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Teching In

No programming, or tuning done at this point so no, VATS has not been disabled. I wanted to get it up and running, and all fluids topped off BEFORE my tuner came out. I did not want him to show up and the engine not start, or have some other issue that would prevent him from programming and then driving.

I have found the VATS relearn sequence on-line. I am attempting that now. The only issue is that when I turn the key to the "run" position, the security light is not illuminated. Only "battery" is lit up in the DIC (drivers information center). So, not sure it's a VATS issue, but it is possible.

I'm doing the on for 11 minutes, off for 30 seconds, cycles right now as I type this. I'm hoping that's what it turns out to be. Is there any other method to bypass VATS short term just for testing? Does VATS also disable the coils? I ask because it will run if we provide an alternate fuel source.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
No programming, or tuning done at this point so no, VATS has not been disabled. I wanted to get it up and running, and all fluids topped off BEFORE my tuner came out. I did not want him to show up and the engine not start, or have some other issue that would prevent him from programming and then driving.

I have found the VATS relearn sequence on-line. I am attempting that now. The only issue is that when I turn the key to the "run" position, the security light is not illuminated. Only "battery" is lit up in the DIC (drivers information center). So, not sure it's a VATS issue, but it is possible.

I'm doing the on for 11 minutes, off for 30 seconds, cycles right now as I type this. I'm hoping that's what it turns out to be. Is there any other method to bypass VATS short term just for testing? Does VATS also disable the coils? I ask because it will run if we provide an alternate fuel source.

How did you check injector voltage? Did you check while cranking or key on?
TXjeepTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Teching In

I checked the voltage side both ways. While the key was in the run position I had 12V+, and also while cranking it had 12V+. When I tested the other side for continuity to ground, we only tested it while cranking the engine and it was not pulsing regularly. It's like when you first turn the key on and crank it it will provide a ground path for the injectors but only ONE time. After that one time, you get nothing from the PCM in regards to a ground on any of the injector wires.

While cranking I can watch the ENGINE RPM screen on my Snap-On Solus and see if the engine speed so I believe the crank position sensor is working.

I'm going to perform the test again just to verify that I am giving you good data. I will test both sides of the injector wiring, both static, and while starting.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Teching In

I had a spare PCM laying around from a '00 Silverado so we tried that yesterday. It does the same thing, but now that PCM is setting codes for VATS issues. Engine starts, but then instantly dies.

I'd like to put the original PCM back in it but need to figure out the problem. I DO NOT have the original key for the vehicle as we bought it used. I do not have the GM key fob that I assume came with the vehicle. The vehicle does have an after-market alarm that we have the fob for and we are able to disarm that alarm but the non-running engine issue persists.

Do you guys think this is a VATS issue? Other than deleting through programming, is there any other way around this issue?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Teching In

Okay, I performed another test. I pulled an injector out, kept the wiring attached, and then put a compressed air gun with rubber tip against the "IN" side of the injector. I had my friend hit the key to crank it.. It fired two squirts of fuel, and then stopped pulsing.

I know FOR SURE that this is a controls issue. I have a tuner coming out on Monday to delete VATS. I'm just hoping that this is what is wrong with it. I have NO SECURITY light on at this time though so I'm just not certain what else it could be.

I've used my Snap On scanner to attempt to access the Anti-theft programming but I keep getting a "cannot establish communication with module" error message. I can go in through the BCM and see that the status of Anti-theft is 'off", and condition is "normal".

This is so frustrating. I HATE computers when they cause more problems than they solve.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Teching In

tuner is here this morning. He has disabled VATS still NO START. Ignition coils are working but the computer will not fire the injectors. I am at my wits end.

Grounds have been checked and verified that they are all in place, and we even tested them at the blue & red connectors at the PCM to be sure they were grounded throughout the harness.

We have tried a second computer and still the PCM will NOT FIRE the injectors.

Since this is a core engine that we built, if it has the 58X reluctor ring on the crank, and the trucks computer should be paired with a 24x ring, could this be the problem? The 5.3L core engine we rebuilt was supposed to be a 2000 year engine. Is there a way to verify with a scanner what reluctor ring is on the crank? Or is there any way to verify with the engine still in the vehicle?????

I don't think that is the issue as I can spray gas into the intake and it will run, but I'm grasping at straws here trying to get this figured out.

If anyone can PLEASE offer any help I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!