General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cant lock car doors, courtesy lights stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant lock car doors, courtesy lights stay on?

99 T/A ws6 Vert

Hey guys ive been chasing a couple of gremlins with my car. About 3 weeks ago after a car wash i realized my interior lights would not shut off automatically. I drove the car home with the interior lights glaring and had to resort to removing the courtesy fuse when i got home. Been running that way since.

Then about a week ago i swapped a driver side door panel (due to a tear) immediately after the swap my automatic locks would not work. When i press the button from the inside of the car all i hear is a "ding ding ding" sound and nothing happens i also hear a clicking on the passenger side. Almost as if the car thinks the keys are in the ignition to prevent a lockout.

Also my alarm button would not engage the locks either..

So now i am driving with my courtesy lights on all the time... and am unable to lock my doors! unless i manually lock them with the key.

Can anyone give me a few tips on what to check/troubleshoot?
Thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like the car thinks the door is open. Do these care have a jamb mounted switch? that could be bad. Not familiar with how these are set up. I've had a couple of GMs that would ding at you if you tried to lock the car up with a door open.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigdaddy350
Sounds like the car thinks the door is open. Do these care have a jamb mounted switch? that could be bad. Not familiar with how these are set up. I've had a couple of GMs that would ding at you if you tried to lock the car up with a door open.
I am not 100% sure since i haven't broken the door down to check but i believe they should have some sort of switch on the inside of the door behind the panel. Not sure on how i would trouble shoot it without actually purchasing one from a yard maybe.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Found this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
This is normal.
No its not. The lights should fade out quickly when you lock the car and they shouldn't be stuck on while driving.

blazier19, since you already re-closed the doors & hatch (usually the problem is the hatch) and made sure the dimmer wheel isn't all the way up, then the problem could be a door switch. They are located in/on the latch (unlike older cars that had a visible plunger switch in the jamb). One of the door switches may need to be cleaned/adjusted/replaced. After the lights go out, open a door. If the lights come back on, that door isn't the problem. Close the door and wait for the lights to go out. The repeat the test for the other door and again for the hatch.

Before going through all that trouble, how many times does the horn honk when you lock the car? If it honks once, then it probably is an issue with a door switch. If it honks twice, then its not a problem with a door switch since the alarm checks that the doors and hatch are closed. 2 Honk = everything closed. 1 Honk means something open (usually the hatch).

I'd start with the hatch and driver's side door since they are the most-likely culprits.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

I just had a similar issue yesterday myself but I fixed it by only replacing the courtesy fuse. I would also check the wiring going to the lock itself and make sure none of the pins got bent. If the interior light is staying on it must be reading the door is open or hatch.

I have read the BCM can also be the cause of this and there is a way to fix it by saudering the number 5 wire I believe it was.

Ill try and find the post and send it to you.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by j0hn_j0hn08
I am not 100% sure since i haven't broken the door down to check but i believe they should have some sort of switch on the inside of the door behind the panel. Not sure on how i would trouble shoot it without actually purchasing one from a yard maybe.

I want to say the switch is in the door jamb by the roller guide for the door.

The dimmer switch being all the way up shouldn't cause the door not to lock, but I could be wrong.

On my hondas the dimmer switch can fail, usually results in the dash lights not working.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE

Pulled the Driver side door panel and inspected the switch cleaned the connections and re plugged them, pulled the power accy fuse and the power locks started working again with the remote AND door button after i re inserted the fuse. Courtesy lights turned off (thought problem was fixed)

I was all happy about it so i re assembled the car and drove the car for a bit, got back home parked it and tried to lock the car with the key remote and the locks were no longer working and the courtesy lights are back on!. Locks will no longer work with the inside button or the key fab, car honks once when alarm is armed just no movement from the locking mechanism.. Really getting frustrated.

Gonna pull the panel again this weekend..
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe check out your BCM next
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the car won't let your remote lock the doors when the light is on, it thinks the door is still open. As you found out, fix the courtesy light issue and the locks will again work properly
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE:

I fixed the issue.

I disconnected the passenger side door switch and the courtesy lights turned off. I am now able to lock the car remotely, I will be hunting down a replacement switch for the passenger side soon..

Thanks for the help guys im relieved it wasnt a BCM issue as i didnt want to dig through the dash for it.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear

Quick Reply: Cant lock car doors, courtesy lights stay on?