General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help 2000 WS6 headlight motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Need help 2000 WS6 headlight motor problem

I know you guys have probably answered this a thousand times but I think I have a slightly different issue. Replaced both motors with new drivers side works passengers doesn't. So I went and replaced the connector on passenger side still no luck. So changed fuses swapped relays with driving lamps as those work nothing. So I checked voltage to connector going to motor it is getting voltage to the connector. So thought maybe got bad motor took back and got new replacement. Installed again no luck. The headlights work and you can raise and lower the headlight manually. What gives. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Corrosion on the connector terminals.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. However I have spliced in a new connector on the car side. Triple check to make sure spliced correctly as it is 5 wire connector. So it has both a new connector on the car side and the headlight motor side. Any other ideas?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Save the manuals!

The source power for the headlights is the same for both sides of the car. Your connector has wires for power for the motor, the low beams and the high beams. Are all dead?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Teching In

The low beam and high beams in both sides of the vehicle works fine. And the drivers side goes up and down just fine. I read somewhere that if it is the dash switch both lights would not open and close is that true. I thought the same same thing regarding lights if lights were working then motor should be getting power as well. That was why I replaced it again with a new second motor. And still no luck. I can't believe I would have gotten two bad motors back to back. That's when I started asking for help. I was registering voltage from the connector that plugs into the motor connector. This has got me baffled. Any other ideas.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Save the manuals!

So the lights are turning on (with the lights pointed down) but there is no power to the motor?

If so, there is a headlight control module, which powers the motor on each side of the car and powers the motor. There is a separate one for each side of the car.

If you create an account on Autozone.com and log in to the service section, you can get the original factory schematics for the car and see the details. (They are copy-written and can not be legally posted here.)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Disconnect motor side connector from harness connector. Using jumper leads direct from your battery, test to see if you have movement from the motor. reverse leads and the motor will run in the reverse direction. Also use a meter to see if your getting 12v at the harness connector when the headlight switch is moved to the up position.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Teching In

I will try these checks and see if anything works. In the middle of storms right now. But will attempt a.s.a.p. I appreciate everyone's help and advice.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Ok I just jumped this direct from battery. It does goes up and down when I jumped it straight to the connector on the motor. I have already replaced the connector car side. Where are these headlight control modules I was hearing about. I do have an account with AutoZone but couldn't find a good location for modules. I did read about DRL module. But daytime running light work fine. Is this the same module?
Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Follow up. I located the headlight control module I think. Mounted vertically under fuse box in drivers side. Is it common for one side to go out and not the other. Second question is I am going to again check voltage going to connector on car side connector to make sure it is getting voltage while cycling through the switch. Is there a way to test module before replacing. I can't keep throwing parts at this thing.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Save the manuals!

It's not common for the modules to go out, but it does happen. I haven't serviced mine before, but I'd think you should be able to swap yours and see if the problem switches sides with you - that should confirm if one is bad.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Teching In

I will give that a shot. And see if that works. If problem follows has to be it. Thanks to everyone for the input. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Teching In

I finally got this thing working. It ended up being loose connection in headlight actuator module. Go figure. Cleaned it up and reconnected works great now. I want to thank everyone for their input and support with this issue. You advice is and was greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need help 2000 WS6 headlight motor problem