General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal, anything helps

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal, anything helps

So when I bought the car (94 firehawk), the turn signals worked. But now the hazards work, but the turn signals do not. I tried changing the flashers around and again the hazards worked and the turn signal did not. So it's not the flashers, also the switch for the fog lights and the lights themselves don't light either, and it worked when I bought the car. I need some ideas, I do have this cable under the dash that is not hooked to anything do anyone know what it's for. Maybe it's the problem.

Oh does anyone know what this wire under the hood is for, car runs fine though
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoThDon
I tried changing the flashers around
What does this mean? Did you physically replace both? If so, what part numbers did you use?

The flashers are not interchangeable. Commonly, people change the good hazard flasher out, thinking they are changing the turn signal flasher.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Actually, the two flashers are interchangeable - they are the same part number. Swapping the turn signal and hazard flashers is a valid diagnostic process.

The first thing I would check is simple... the TURN B/U fuse. Since the turn signals and hazards are on different fuses, that would be the logical place to start.

Unfortunately, the next most common cause is the turn signal switch itself. The switch in Firebirds (and many vehicles where the brake and turn signals use the same bulbs) is a complex of small switches linked together to ensure the rear bulbs are properly shared. It is not uncommon for those switches to stick and fail to pass current to the signal lamps during turn signal operation. The switch is not hugely expensive but it is a pain to replace. If you suspect that is the problem, I can post some diagnostic tests that you can do with a test light or multimeter to confirm it.

I think your fog light problem is separate and just a coincidence. The symptoms indicate that it might be the fog light relay under the hood.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, the two flashers are interchangeable - they are the same part number.
I see that the original 323 turn signal flasher doesn't seem to be available any more and the powers-that-be are indicating that the masses should live like riff-raff and settle for a slower 552. (I advocate just going to an electronic flasher and being done with it...)

However, my OEM 552 hazard flasher doesn't work in my turn signal position. Perhaps its because it has some mileage on it? Either way, I wouldn't trust a turn-to-hazard swap to work in all situations for all people, even if a new 552 should work in either position.

Great advice on the above ^ with the turn signal switch and fuses. I wouldn't be shy about buying an electronic flasher, either - it's not expensive, can't hurt, and should last another few decades.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

So when talking fuses are we referring to under the hood? Which I have checked already. I might go get a e flasher and cross my fingers. But I troubled shooted by switching them, but the hazards still works. That tells me it's something else. But I'm going tomorrow to grab a electronic flasher and cross my fingers, does anyone have a part number for them?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Oh does anyone know what the wire under the dash is for? Just wondering...
Old 06-28-2017, 06:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by CapoThDon
But I troubled shooted by switching them, but the hazards still works. That tells me it's something else.
I was pointing out, above, that this method is unreliable.

The original flashers are the thermal type, where they need current flowing through them to flex an element inside and make the flash/click.

The original 323 flasher for the turn signals is a "3 bulb" flasher and the 552 flasher for the hazards is a "6 bulb" flasher (because you light 3 bulbs at a time when turning and 6 when the hazards are on). If that 552/6 bulb flasher is old and a little worn, it may not flash for you if you don't have a full 6-bulb load going on it. (like when it's in the turn signal position)

If you don't want to buy a flasher straight out, I would debug in this order:
- Check the fuses as Whitebird points out (its free and easy)
- Put a jumper across the flasher socket terminals (if the lights turn on solid but don't flash, I think this method should point out that your switch and wiring are all good and you just have a bad turn signal flasher)
- Test your turn signal switch by unplugging it at the base of the steering column and using a continuity tester
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The TURN B/U fuse is fuse #2 in the interior fuse panel (left end of the dash).

I agree that swapping flashers is not a foolproof test but it does have benefits. If you swap the flashers and your turn signals still don't work, it doesn't prove anything - both flashers could be having the same problem. But if you swap the flashers and the turn signals start working then it's safe to assume the T/S flasher was the problem. It's an easy and free test that could provide a quick diagnosis.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Wait a minute... who even uses turn signals any more these days???
Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I'm just going to replace the flasher, and buy a continuity tester and anything else to help. What is the part number for this electronic flasher that is supposed to be the best.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The EL12 is the most common electronic flasher at most auto parts stores. The FF552NLF is a no-load electronic flasher that is popular for LED replacement installations. There are a number of other models available but for your needs, any 2-pin electronic flasher will do the job.

Quick Reply: Turn signal, anything helps