General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Compressor broke off engine while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default AC Compressor broke off engine while driving

I was driving my 98 V6 Y87Camaro I bought a few weeks ago 85k miles on it and BAM ac compressor breaks off the engine. Instant not good stranded car. After a lot of BS and hrs and hrs of working to repair the bracket that broke I discovered this is a very common problem with these v6 Camaros. Of course GM discontinued the brackets and I looked all over the net can't find a used one anywhere. We fabbed a steel repair piece to reattach the frt of the compressor and reattached the rear mount. Believe it of not you can NOT mount the compressor with the lines attached to it! You have to install the lines after you install it of you can't attach the rear bolts. This is why it failed in the first place because some one before me replaced the compressor but never tightened the rear mount bolts and they fell out causing this mess.

If you drive a 3.8 Camaro better yours check it before it breaks off.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmfao
Old 07-30-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Its kind of funny now but I was not amused in any way shape or form at the time. Luckily I didn't drive the car on trip about 100 miles away like I was going to. Something was telling me to wait.......lucky me.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I just replaced the compressor on my 02 bird due to a bad clutch. what a PIA. we ended up replacing those rear bolts with the AC lines attached. we had to use a torch to custom make some wrenches by bending them in all sorts of weird directions - lol
Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrider123
Lmfao
&
Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Its kind of funny now but I was not amused in any way shape or form at the time. Luckily I didn't drive the car on trip about 100 miles away like I was going to. Something was telling me to wait.......lucky me.
Agreed, I didn't find this funny either. Regardless 3.8 or 5.7 the car is a machine and machines are prone to failure.. ..or this is what I tell myself to get my mind over all the excessive repairs I've done to my LS1... But finding yourself instantly stranded in any car without warning is definitely no laughing matter. I can see how this can be an issue as well with the rear bolts. If you think its poor engineering, then ask a shop to replace an Alternator on an LS1 F-Body only to drive it halfway home to have it die because they broke the exciter wire. (this has happened to me, and the stupid shop didn't want to own up to it either.)

Originally Posted by bleepster
I just replaced the compressor on my 02 bird due to a bad clutch. what a PIA. we ended up replacing those rear bolts with the AC lines attached. we had to use a torch to custom make some wrenches by bending them in all sorts of weird directions - lol
was this on an LS1?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

no - was on a 3800
Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Agreed, I didn't find this funny either. Regardless 3.8 or 5.7 the car is a machine and machines are prone to failure.. ..or this is what I tell myself to get my mind over all the excessive repairs I've done to my LS1... But finding yourself instantly stranded in any car without warning is definitely no laughing matter. I can see how this can be an issue as well with the rear bolts. If you think its poor engineering, then ask a shop to replace an Alternator on an LS1 F-Body only to drive it halfway home to have it die because they broke the exciter wire. (this has happened to me, and the stupid shop didn't want to own up to it either.)
That exciter wire breaks very easily!!! Mine broke 3 times and not at the splice, each time 1/2" up. I think the wire is 18 or 20 gauge, **** you GM for putting a danty *** wire there. Thankfully I got very good with changing out my alternator lol
Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Now the only rattling I hear is the guts of the cat convertor...............

Quick Reply: AC Compressor broke off engine while driving