General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Water leak

Over the last week I've had the water level light come on twice, and both times the radiator was low. I topped it up both times but I can't find anything spraying, dripping or in general wet except for the lines going between the PS pump and my PS cooler. The second time I also checked the overflow tank and while I didn't have anything to dry off the plastic dipstick, it appeared to be low. Since I live in Florida, I use a combination of distilled water & Water Wetter.

What are the easiest things to check to ensure I don't needlessly pay for something which ends up not being needed? Water pump? Radiator cap? Seeping radiator? Compression test? Leakdown? Checking spark plugs? Checking oil?

If it's the water pump, I don't want an electric pump. Should I just use another OEM LS2 water pump or is there a more efficient, compatible mechanical pump?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get a pressure tester and look for leaks while the system is pressurized. Some times the problem will be a small pin hole sized leak that you would have never seen spraying out while just looking for drips or leaks. You could do a compression test to see if you blew a head gasket. Check the oil and the water or discoloring or gunk. If your car has a lot of mileage, then replacing the rubber hoses (upper & lower radiator hose/heater hoses) shouldn't be too expensive and will prevent problems later down the road. If you do a search, you'll find that many people just remove the PS cooler as it tends to fail and cause issues. You can get a hose for a non-ps cooler car and remove the cooler.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

The radiator and both hoses and spring clamps were replaced, within the last year if I remember correctly. PS cooler is aftermarket.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 on the pressure test, first.

I had a similar symptom with my original water pump. The issue turned out to be a bad water pump. Instead of spitting out water, the bad seals were allowing air to enter the pump and be injected into the system. The water was going out my overflow bottle.

^ If this is happening to you, then you'll see really weird stuff on the dipstick after the engine cools and the siphon pulls fluid back into the radiator.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
+1 on the pressure test, first.

I had a similar symptom with my original water pump. The issue turned out to be a bad water pump. Instead of spitting out water, the bad seals were allowing air to enter the pump and be injected into the system. The water was going out my overflow bottle.

^ If this is happening to you, then you'll see really weird stuff on the dipstick after the engine cools and the siphon pulls fluid back into the radiator.
Couldn't find source of leak on lift, added dye and will monitor for future witness marks.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Couldn't find source of leak on lift, added dye and will monitor for future witness marks.
If you had my problem and the fluid is going out the bottle, you may not see it.

I'd try watching the dipstick level at cold - hot - cold and see what happens. First fill the radiator and then the reservoir to the cold mark. If you go above the hot mark after running for a while, something (air) is being added to the system.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When my water pump died, it was spilling coolant on the freeway but would be bone dry at rest. I could never figure out where the coolant was going. Then one night as I was reaching home after a long drive, I pulled into a gas station to refuel and once I stopped, it made a puddle under the pump weep hole. But it took weeks to get that bad. I'm betting water pump.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked the passenger floorboard? maybe the heater core is leaking/dripping.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I've not had to top it off much since my last post, but I have noticed a brief squealing upon startup that goes away after a few seconds, and then maybe a faint whistling sound. I'll have to check the pulleys & belts.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've not had to top it off much since my last post, but I have noticed a brief squealing upon startup that goes away after a few seconds, and then maybe a faint whistling sound. I'll have to check the pulleys & belts.
That sounds like a leaking hose or water pump that is getting water onto the belt. I believe you said your PS cooler hose was wet, might be time to do the PS cooler delete mod with a new non-cooler hose.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you topping the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze & water or just water?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OwieVT
Are you topping the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze & water or just water?
He's in FL, so he may not need an exact 50/50 blend. I have friends here in CA that just run water and water wetter, no antifreeze. I still mix it, however if I have to top it off, I just add water.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm in Florida so I use a combination of distilled water & water wetter. I've been topping it off with distilled water so the ratio may now be a little off.

As stated before, I have an aftermarket PS cooler (which uses AN fittings), not the OEM version in the upper hose. The hoses go from the PS pump, uses a male-to-male adapter to connect to another hose, which in turn connects to the AN fittings. It appears to be leaking at the male-to-male fitting and we're trying to find a better long term solution.

I haven't felt the passenger floorboard, but even though I'm not using coolant, I suspect I'd smell something unusual.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Found some dried dye on the back of the air dam. On the rear of the radiator, passenger side, there is a drain valve at the bottom that seemed to be slightly loose, we tightened the cap. The serpentine belt seemed a bit dry so we applied a tiny bit of belt grease. Will monitor.

Quick Reply: Water leak