General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

flushing and cleaning a clogged O2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default flushing and cleaning a clogged O2 sensor?

Any one knows how to flush and clean a clogged O2 sensor.

My O2 sensor is used for 150K miles in my 2011 2.5L 4 cylinders Toyota Camry and it has one O2 sensor only.

I tried to soak the O2 sensor in apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. I even tried to remove the carbon deposits on the O2 sensor by soaking it in boiling apple cider vinegar but it was not working well!?

Does it need to remove all of the carbon deposits on the O2 sensor to soak it in lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for one full day or so?

Any one can help.

These new modern O2 sensors are expensive to be bought new.

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 172 Posts

Well . . . at 150,000 miles . . . I think you got your money's worth. You probably need to buy a new one because that one is permanently dead.

Rick
Old 04-08-2018, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just saw a man in a vid in youtube said to use 800grit sanding paper, wire brush and MAF cleaner to clean the O2 sensor.

maybe I need a fine wire brush and not a coarse wire brush to not scratch the O2 sensor.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

All narrowbands work the same, whether 1-2-3-4 wires they all have 1 single signal wire that you can use.

I.e. goto the junkyard and grab any number of used/free narrowbands to walk out with. You can use any of them in your car you want. No need to clean them or spend $$$.

Or just buy the cheapest new one they sell, goto any auto store, look through all their sensors, pick the cheapest one. Even just 1 wire sensor would work. Plug that 1 single signal wire to the correct O2 sensor input on the ECU and it will work.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Not sure on the camry but name brand 02s can be had for 25 bucks for camaros, and any LEV (low emissions vehicle) will have a factory wideband and they can be had for about 50. If you cant afford those, you cant afford a car.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
my 2011 2.5L 4 cylinders Toyota Camry and it has one O2 sensor only.
All modern cars will generally have at least one sensor in each exhaust bank before the catalytic converter and one sensor in each exhaust bank after the catalytic converter.

Your Toyota has fewer oxygen sensors because it is a 4 cylinder and has only one exhaust bank. It also probably has 2 sensors, if you still have a catalytic converter installed. (The first one tests engine combustion and the second tests catalytic converter efficiency.)

I just saw a man in a vid in youtube said to use 800grit sanding paper, wire brush and MAF cleaner to clean the O2 sensor.
You'll find a lot of very wrong myths on how to clean these things on the internet. You will also find that none of them come from a reputable site.

The oxygen sensor is built similar to a very complicated spark plug. It has a number of fragile metal/layers inside the plug, which are protected by the cap. (So, cleaning the outside of the cap does nothing!!!)

Your exhaust gas is corrosive. Over time, the metals inside erode and also get contaminated with carbon. There are some special tools and chemicals that will clean the carbon - but they will cost you more than new sensors. (You need the special tools, because the chemicals that clean carbon will dissolve the wires and plastic parts on the sensor.)

Even then... if you were to clean the carbon off your current sensor, you still have 150,000 miles of exhaust wear on the plug.

Your plugs are trash and completely worn out by now. You have to get new ones in order to restore the performance of the car.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Camry has new spark plugs installed and injectors were cleaned. I will try to clean the current O2 sensor and see if mpg will be better if not I will buy a new O2 sensor and check if the old O2 sensor was the cause of the low mpg.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When you learn to tune often you stop using the narrowband and rely on a wideband instead. Many wideband also have analog outputs, for example mine was configured to put out 0.005v @ 15.4:1 & 1.005v @ 15.1:1 thus holding the a/f ratio between those slightly lean ratios while cruising along. Its worth maybe 2 to 4% fuel economy, not much, but everything counts. I don't even use closed loop anymore unless I am bored and take the extra steps but even then its annoying sometimes to see 14.7's when I could be seeing 15's.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Save the manuals!

My Camry has new spark plugs installed and injectors were cleaned. I will try to clean the current O2 sensor and see if mpg will be better if not I will buy a new O2 sensor and check if the old O2 sensor was the cause of the low mpg.
Try this first...

Clean the inside of your exhaust pipe - without scrubbing. If you can't do that, you are never going to be able to clean the inside of your Oxygen Sensor. (It sits inside the pipe and picks up the same contamination, except worse because its hotter and closer to the engine.)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
When you learn to tune often you stop using the narrowband and rely on a wideband instead. Many wideband also have analog outputs, for example mine was configured to put out 0.005v @ 15.4:1 & 1.005v @ 15.1:1 thus holding the a/f ratio between those slightly lean ratios while cruising along. Its worth maybe 2 to 4% fuel economy, not much, but everything counts. I don't even use closed loop anymore unless I am bored and take the extra steps but even then its annoying sometimes to see 14.7's when I could be seeing 15's.
Jesus, if his car is LEV (or ULEV), he may have a wideband in it already, and two tell me one dang program that can alter cruise VE on a CAMRY. Bet there are zero. Sit down somewhere. You are so busy tooting your own horn that you arent actually helping the guy.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Save the manuals!

I don't think we need any other discussion about tuning, here. It's way off topic.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found out from Internet that the O2 sensing element is inside the O2 sensor and it is made from ceramic.

to reach that sensing element I have to cut the covering of the O2 sensor with the holes and being very careful to not cut the O2 ceramic sensing element inside.

then cleaning O2 sensing element from the carbons deposits on it with soft metal brush, 1000 grit sanding paper and MAF sensor cleaner ( being careful to not damage the O2 sensing element ).

then cutting and tac welding threads ( just like the threads on bolts and nuts ) to the metal cover covering the O2 sensing element.

I'm planning to add threads to the cover of the O2 sensing element so that when every 30000 miles/50000 kilometers when needing to clean the sensing element to reach it ( the sensing element ) easily without hassles.

then trying that sensor.

I will try that when God will ( In sha'Allah ).
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know what they cost on your car, considering you're in Kuwait. But when I replaced my O2 sensors (all four) with ACDelco OEM ones they were $60 each.

Good luck with trying to clean them!