General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

walk me through a steering rack check up

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default walk me through a steering rack check up

lots of power steering and various steering rack issues with fbodys. i have a 2000 ss with 105,000. id like if u guys could help me inspect my steering system and let me know the steps i could do to inspect stuff.

last year it got new inner and outers, has new upper and low joints as well. all moog problem solver. also inspected my steering rack boots and they are intact looking good.

1) should i siphon out the power steering fluid? add in new, drive for awhile, then siphon out again and put in new fluid? or is that not necessary?

2)with car off, if i turn the wheel between 11 and 1 o clock i do here a light knocking noise assuming from the intermediate.......

so what steps would you guys recommend me doing?

Last edited by Floorman279; 04-12-2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: ......
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As preventative maintenance, you can opt to change out your power steering pressure line (then end up going bad and seeping fluid). When you do that you will be able to drain out your reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. If you have a power steering cooler, you may want to remove it and replace the radiator hose with a non-cooler line (they fail and mix coolant and ps fluid, also the cooler is not necessary).
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
As preventative maintenance, you can opt to change out your power steering pressure line (then end up going bad and seeping fluid). When you do that you will be able to drain out your reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. If you have a power steering cooler, you may want to remove it and replace the radiator hose with a non-cooler line (they fail and mix coolant and ps fluid, also the cooler is not necessary).
ive been meaning to remove the cooler
Old 04-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
+1 to all of the above. A flush is really important. Many of us have found that dirty fluid leads to overflows of the P/S tank. New fluid will keep things clean and tidy.

Once all of that is done, you can flush out the system. The easy way I like to do this is have several open bottles of open P/S fluid handy and a helper.

- Disconnect the return hose, clamp it to the rim of a bucket so it drains in. (After you remove the cooler, this should come straight out of the rack.)
- Put a cap on the drain nipple of the P/S fluid reservoir or use an extra piece of tube and bend it up so the open end is above the inlet of the tank. Fill the tank with new fluid.
- Have a helper turn on the car and quickly turn the steering lock-to-lock. This will bleed out the air and flush out the old fluid. As this happens, the other person keeps topping off the fluid in the reservoir as the used fluid drains to the bucket.
^ Warning: ^ this goes FAST. (The pump moves a lot of fluid.)
- Keep going until the fluid runs clear into the bucket. (You might also use a milk jug so you can see.)

^ As you do this, you need to be really careful that the pump doesn't run dry, so make sure the helper is ready to cut the engine right away when you either run out of fluid, or are done with the flush.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

1. Is the steering wheel still attached? Check
2. Does it turn the wheels? Check

Run it.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

1. Is the steering wheel still attached? Check
2. Does it turn the wheels? Check

Run it.
i didn't no u had a non helpful post in you
Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
i didn't no u had a non helpful post in you
Surely you dont mind a little humor on this here interwebs? Life cant be serious ALL the time.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I wasn't butthurt......