General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Backfire at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire at idle

Hey I have a 2002 camaro z28. And 1 day I cranked it up with no problem and I was sitting to let it warm up and all of a sudden a heard a random pop out the exhaust like a gun shot. It never do it while I’m driving only when I’m at a stop light or parked and it’s always random never consistent. I changed the 02 sensor mas air flow sensor and plugs... what could be the problem
Old 04-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is normal for the car when it warms up. Just let it warm up or drive it normally and don't rev it. (The car is going to run rich as it warms up.)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is normal for the car when it warms up. Just let it warm up or drive it normally and don't rev it. (The car is going to run rich as it warms up.)
i doubt if this is normal at all.... it never did this and this is my 3rd ls car and I never heard somebody else car do this..
Old 05-01-2018, 07:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Kevinr8732
i doubt if this is normal at all....
Welcome to the site. You are more than free to read through the thousands of posts to see that this happens as a normal occurrence.

The colder the environment you live in, the more this happens. (So, that may be why you haven't personally experienced this before.)

If you just replaced emissions components (the new MAF would probably be a bigger lever in this situation), you will also have to take the car for a long drive for the PCM to "relearn" the sensors and adjust your fuel mixtures. So, if you had a backfire before the relearn, that wouldn't be surprising or alarming either. Just take the car for a 15-20 minute drive on the highway and things should go back closer to what you are used to experiencing.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Welcome to the site. You are more than free to read through the thousands of posts to see that this happens as a normal occurrence.

The colder the environment you live in, the more this happens. (So, that may be why you haven't personally experienced this before.)

If you just replaced emissions components (the new MAF would probably be a bigger lever in this situation), you will also have to take the car for a long drive for the PCM to "relearn" the sensors and adjust your fuel mixtures. So, if you had a backfire before the relearn, that wouldn't be surprising or alarming either. Just take the car for a 15-20 minute drive on the highway and things should go back closer to what you are used to experiencing.
I tried that... been driving it for 4 days .
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

It may happen to a lot of cars but it's not normal and shouldn't be happening. There are many reasons for backfires in the exhaust but the shotgun sounding backfire is a large amount fuel igniting in the exhaust. Not the typical cackle backfire you might hear when decelerating of random pop of large cam. It could be a dirty injector dribbling fuel instead of spraying it. It could be an injector not closing all the way. Basically fuel needs to be a mist/vapor to burn properly if it dribbles in to the cylinder some of that liquid fuel is not burned and pushed into the exhaust where it builds up until the exhaust temperature get hot enough to turn it into a vapor where it will finally burn. (explodes) Quite different than a random misfire type backfire. I'm not saying that this is 100% the cause of your problem but it's certainly a possibility.

My friends used to drive down the road with a carb engine. You would leave it in gear while rolling along and shut off the ignition so it would pull raw fuel into the exhaust then turn the ignition back on and it would make one hell of a loud boom when that built up fuel ingnites.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

could try a can of seafoam or injector cleaner to see if it'll clean the injectors and rule those out.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Did you check the idle control valve?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Weeping injector?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess I should clarify something, The shotgun type backfire I was talking about in my previous post is one that is really freaking loud... Like being in the hood....duck and run because you think someone shot at you loud. If it's just a small backfire or random pop then that opens it up to many other causes like exhaust leaks and ignition problems and so on.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I guess I should clarify something, The shotgun type backfire I was talking about in my previous post is one that is really freaking loud... Like being in the hood....duck and run because you think someone shot at you loud. If it's just a small backfire or random pop then that opens it up to many other causes like exhaust leaks and ignition problems and so on.
it’s like a shotgun going off in the hood ..
Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah lol that's not normal.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

My jeep would do that when one of the injectors stuck, thats why I asked about the weeping injector, it literally blew the stock muffler wide open like a banana..
Old 05-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
My jeep would do that when one of the injectors stuck, thats why I asked about the weeping injector, it literally blew the stock muffler wide open like a banana..
how can I tell if that’s the problem and which injector ?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

On mine, I ran the engine at about 2200 for 5 minutes ,, then let it idle for about 30 seconds and turned it off, pulled the plugs and one was soaking wet, pulled the injectors and the one that had the wet plug I could blow air through with a rubber tip on a air hose and about 25 lbs of air pressure.. Of course pulling the injectors on a 4 cylinder jeep motor is a 5 min job.

You could also use a bore camera and feed it through the intake, with power on and pressure in the lines none of the injectors should be dripping any fuel. (Engine NOT running! )
Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, That's why I replied above about possibly being an injector dribbling fuel rather than spraying it. Either debris keeping it from closing or dirty keeping the flow to a dribble rather than a mist. Either way it can cause raw fuel to enter the exhaust and possibly turn your muffler into a banana, Which is also what some of my friends managed to do.

How many miles are on the engine/injectors? Might not be a bad idea to send them in to be cleaned/tested.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=LLLosingit;19888160]Yeah, That's why I replied above about possibly being an injector dribbling fuel rather than spraying it. Either debris keeping it from closing or dirty keeping the flow to a dribble rather than a mist. Either way it can cause raw fuel to enter the exhaust and possibly turn your muffler into a banana, Which is also what some of my friends managed to do.

How many miles are on the engine/injectors? Might not be a bad idea to send them in to be cleaned/tested.[/QUOTE

a little over 90k
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Both times I finally gave in and sent a set out to be cleaned the result was,, Oh yea,, its supposed to run like this!,, always a slap the forehead moment and why did I wait so long.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Both times I finally gave in and sent a set out to be cleaned the result was,, Oh yea,, its supposed to run like this!,, always a slap the forehead moment and why did I wait so long.
Where did you send them to be cleaned?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Yeah lol that's not normal.
Right, that's not normal. The typical occurrence sounds like a fire cracker being thrown out the tail pipe.

If there is a detonation before the tail pipe, then there must be air and fuel being dumped into the exhaust. I would also check for exhaust leaks to make sure they aren't in play here. Otherwise, you could have some rich cylinders and lean cylinders.