General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The dreaded headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded headlight issue

Hi All:

I am new here, but not new to the car itself. I have a 98 WS6 TA Convertible with 7200 original miles. Tonight, the driver side headlight did not go up when I turned on the lights. Turned off then on and it went up. Upon getting home, now it does not want to go down. Nothing is working to try and get it down.

This is NOT the gear issue. I have already replaced with brass gears. I'm guessing electrical in nature, but the car only has 7200 miles and has been wet twice in its life. Bad enough I had to replace a gear when the lights have only gone up and down less than 20 times in its life, but now something else.

Update: I turned the manual open / close **** a turn or two clockwise and I heard a click. Then I turned lights on and off and it went down. I'm going to assume this is an issue with the stops on both the open and close sides. Is there a way to adjust those settings?

Last edited by cyclemed; 08-22-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The metal gears are not what you want them to be. They strip, also and usually come with a warning to that effect: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html

Originally Posted by cyclemed
Update: I turned the manual open / close **** a turn or two clockwise and I heard a click. Then I turned lights on and off and it went down. I'm going to assume this is an issue with the stops on both the open and close sides. Is there a way to adjust those settings?
This sounds like a stripped gear.

If you want to be sure without taking it apart, unplug the motor and put 12V to the black and red motor wires. The polarity just reverses for up or down.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine does same thing and I have narrowed it down to the headlight control module.

I have brass gears etc. They always go DOWN just the passenger side randomly does not go up. If I go and turn the manual adjuster even a c%^t hair it works just fine for a while again.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Mine does same thing and I have narrowed it down to the headlight control module.

I have brass gears etc. They always go DOWN just the passenger side randomly does not go up. If I go and turn the manual adjuster even a c%^t hair it works just fine for a while again.
That's classic stripped gear (plastic or metal), also. What makes you think it's the headlight control module. (You get a balky headlight control module to work by manipulating the module; not the motor.)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've moved/ tapped module and it's worked without touching headlight motor.

Maybe it's just a fluke.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by klinznilk
I've moved/ tapped module and it's worked without touching headlight motor.

Maybe it's just a fluke.
Your post talked about manipulating the motors...

Tapping the module would indicate a cold solder joint in the headlight module. (See post 1839 for the start of the discussion of that in the Headlight sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...o-here-46.html )

If turning the ***** on your motors fixes things, maybe you have two problems - or the act of opening the hood, etc. is enough to knock the module around. Before I found my module issue, slamming the hood did the trick for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
i am new also and cannot help you with your question. Thought you might be able with mine. I have a 98 formula with 27,000 miles. Saw rain twice. Replacing the gears now. Not sure if doing something incorrectly but what a pain. Is there any input you have? Greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by cyclemed
Hi All:

I am new here, but not new to the car itself. I have a 98 WS6 TA Convertible with 7200 original miles. Tonight, the driver side headlight did not go up when I turned on the lights. Turned off then on and it went up. Upon getting home, now it does not want to go down. Nothing is working to try and get it down.

This is NOT the gear issue. I have already replaced with brass gears. I'm guessing electrical in nature, but the car only has 7200 miles and has been wet twice in its life. Bad enough I had to replace a gear when the lights have only gone up and down less than 20 times in its life, but now something else.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Welcome!

Originally Posted by Lic98LS1Bird
Hello
i am new also and cannot help you with your question. Thought you might be able with mine. I have a 98 formula with 27,000 miles. Saw rain twice. Replacing the gears now. Not sure if doing something incorrectly but what a pain. Is there any input you have?

Yep!

1) Metal Gears are like Snake Oil
2) Better to go with the new motor design - it makes gear swaps a breeze! https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html