General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant system, anyone using straight distilled water?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Coolant system, anyone using straight distilled water?

Car has 160k miles. I don’t know if the coolant has been replaced before but it didn’t look too bad but wasn’t perfect, but it wasn't as orange looking as brand new dexcool is. Maybe a real dark orange.m
Anyhow, so I flushed the system 3 times with distilled water to get as much old dexcool out as possible.
Its not perfectly clear but I can see the radiator rows when I look into the radiator with the cap off.
I also flushed the reservoir a few times and it was muddy looking but is clear now.

So so my question is, anything wrong with running just straight distilled water as is?
My temps are lower on the gauge in this higher 90* heat it seems vs before with dexcool and water is good at dissipating heat.
I live in s Texas so our winters, we may be lucky to get into the mid 30s as we barely get cold here.
So im not worried about freezing conditions one bit.
Im more worried about any internal damage running distilled water for long periods.
Or if anything I’ll put one gallon of dexcool if needed.
Anyine have any info on running straight distilled water ?

Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There’s no lubrication for your water pump. At least run water wetter. It’s track safe.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
There’s no lubrication for your water pump. At least run water wetter. It’s track safe.
definitely need a little something for lubrication
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well then I’ll put one gallon of dexcool in it to get some lubricants inside it.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd also run some antirust in it as well if you are going to go mostly water. But I would still run a 50-50 blend of antifreeze because I've seen what frozen water can do to an engine block . . . . not pretty. I know that south Texas does not get that cold but . . .

Rick
Old 09-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I live in s Texas so our winters, we may be lucky to get into the mid 30s as we barely get cold here.
So im not worried about freezing conditions one bit.

It only takes one foray below 32 degrees to destroy stuff.

Anyhow, so I flushed the system 3 times with distilled water to get as much old dexcool out as possible.
Its not perfectly clear but I can see the radiator rows when I look into the radiator with the cap off.
I also flushed the reservoir a few times and it was muddy looking but is clear now.

When you drain the radiator, 1/2 of the coolant is left in the engine galleries. So, after three flushes and drains, assuming everything mixes perfectly, and you started with 50/50, you'd have 6%-ish Dexcool in there now.

The only way to get all the old stuff out is to do a full drain of the system, open up the two block plugs, and drain the heater core. This makes a mess... and isn't fun... but it works.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vacuum fill is the best way:

Amazon Amazon

I run water wetter and distilled - in DFW area. Heat the garage if below 30° - which is rare...

Change out yearly - I do road course...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385577

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-03-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you really need a 50/50 mix of dexcool? Or is that 50/50 mix more for colder climates?
If I do one gallon of dexcool with my current flush, what kind of prevention will one gallon give me?
I don’t mind going back with dexcool as I haven’t had a problem with it on this car.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you really need a 50/50 mix of dexcool? Or is that 50/50 mix more for colder climates?
If I do one gallon of dexcool with my current flush, what kind of prevention will one gallon give me?
I don’t mind going back with dexcool as I haven’t had a problem with it on this car.

why are you so worried about running coolant? you still need a good amount of antifreeze mixed with the water to not only prevent it from freezing, but to raise the boil temp as well.........if you do a google search you can see what ranges 30/70 25/75 etc mix will protect
Old 09-03-2018, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hammdo
Vacuum fill is the best way:

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-...um+filling+kit

I run water wetter and distilled - in DFW area. Heat the garage if below 30° - which is rare...

Change out yearly - I do road course...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385577

-Don

does that tool help pull out 99% of the old coolant including whats in the block?
Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, it draws the system into a vacuum. I’ve used the snap on version for years... sometimes I’ll fill and keep a vacuum in order to be certain it’s new coolant.

FYI anti-freeze does not raise boiling temp, only lowers freezing point. If antifreeze did that, we’d run 100% anti-freeze with no water. Water is the best for cooling. Antifreeze is a lube and freezing point lowering additive.

Pressure raises boiling temp of water/coolant...

edit:
Just to note:
ethylene glyco (alcohol content) can raise boiling point depending on % of content in antifreeze - 100% antifreeze won’t perform as well without distilled water...

Here is a post from Hot Rod:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/glyc...water-coolant/

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-03-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly what I’ve been told, water is best at dissapating heat in warmer climates.
My 87 grand national ran distilled for years and never ever had a boil over or heating issue.
It did have a very light color of green in it from existing fluid but was flushed for straight distilled.
I thought the caps psi kinda limits the boiling range etc.... I need to read the article u posted hammdo.
Freezing temps don’t happen here. With my luck this year we’ll have a week of below 32* weather now.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For $10-15 buy a gallon of concentrated Dex Cool, pour in half, done son. Or buy 50/50 mix and pour the whole thing in....either way you won't need to worry about freezing temps or lubrication issues. Where I live FL got down to 23*F last January, so below freezing can happen lol.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Exactly what I’ve been told, water is best at dissapating heat in warmer climates.
My 87 grand national ran distilled for years and never ever had a boil over or heating issue.
It did have a very light color of green in it from existing fluid but was flushed for straight distilled.
I thought the caps psi kinda limits the boiling range etc.... I need to read the article u posted hammdo.
Freezing temps don’t happen here. With my luck this year we’ll have a week of below 32* weather now.
LOL, I said that last year and we were near 9° once -- thus why I say I heat the garage if I see temps near 35° -- cold front came in and bam -- there it was.

BTW in the past, I set my 'freezing' point to the lowest temp on record for the area -- here in DFW it was 8° ;o)

I'll just heat the garage for the week its cold. For road racing, distilled has been king -- it cools so much faster and dissipates heat fast when the hood is open. Coolant temps sink really fast.

Water Wetter can leave a film if left in too long -- thus why I change out yearly -- its real easy with the vaccum unit...

-Don
Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the vacuum tool I use:

YouTube how to:

And the aux pump I installed in line to help on those 'hot' days where I just 'sit' in the grid waiting:

Controller:

Works really well...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-03-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added image
Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, it draws the system into a vacuum. I’ve used the snap on version for years... sometimes I’ll fill and keep a vacuum in order to be certain it’s new coolant.

FYI anti-freeze does not raise boiling temp, only lowers freezing point. If antifreeze did that, we’d run 100% anti-freeze with no water. Water is the best for cooling. Antifreeze is a lube and freezing point lowering additive.

Pressure raises boiling temp of water/coolant...

edit:
Just to note:
ethylene glyco (alcohol content) can raise boiling point depending on % of content in antifreeze - 100% antifreeze won’t perform as well without distilled water...

Here is a post from Hot Rod:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/glyc...water-coolant/

-Don

on your note, doesnt all antifreeze contain ethylene thus raising the boiling point? Im not saying its anything drastic but still raises it a little.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

But as mentioned i think the cap helps a lot more with boiling protection.....
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Antifreeze is more about the vaporization point — thus it raises the boiling point some — how much is really the question. That is the catch 22 and why it’s claimed to raise the boiling point...

Pressure is about 3° per PSI... that really helps...

20 PSI is 60° so using that math, water is raised supposedly to 272° but it’s probably more around 265° with some inefficiency ...

Great discussion!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-03-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Put the normal amount of coolant in it...it's there for a reason
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here is the vacuum tool I use:
This would not be compatible with the stock cooling system as it cannot hold a vacuum without being damaged. (I recall the stock radiator cap has a vacuum relief in it specifically to protect against this.)