General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power seat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Power seat question

My drivers seat will only go forward/back for a couple seconds then stop, no sounds or anything. Then it's dead for a while then it'll do the same thing. Been doing this for a while now and I can't figure it out. Tried swapping the breakers but it didn't help. Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Maybe both are bad? They certainly have some years on them. I'd try buying a new one and see how it performs.

If you get the same thing with a new breaker, I'd measure the amperage/draw from the seat and see if it's genuinely drawing too much power.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If the track is full of crap or the slides are broken it can put a strain on the motor and cause it to overheat and cut out. I'd start by cleaning the tracks and making sure nothing is binding and replace the breakers while you're there. Like previously mentioned, they're pretty old so you may as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue and the front of my seat will go up but not down. I'm going to order a new switch and see if that helps. They're about $80 on Gm Parts direct. It;s just so difficult getting your hand under the seat to check for anything, or even unbolt the seat. I hope it's the switch.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiebutter
I have the same issue and the front of my seat will go up but not down. I'm going to order a new switch and see if that helps. They're about $80 on Gm Parts direct. It;s just so difficult getting your hand under the seat to check for anything, or even unbolt the seat. I hope it's the switch.
You can open up your switch and clean the contacts to get it working again. The only tricky part is putting it together without the contacts falling out. All you need is a small flathead screwdriver to open the tabs and some fine sandpaper or even just a scrubbing pad from the kitchen to clean the dark spots off the contacts.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Gonna try a new breaker in the morning. If that doesn't work then I'll check/clean/regrease the tracks. Thanks
Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, that wasn't it. Same thing happening. Runs for a sec or 2 then stops and won't work again for a couple minutes at least...then does the same thing.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ended up being a bad connection under the seat. Now it's working again.