General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Poly motor mounts, trans won't "sag" for removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Poly motor mounts, trans won't "sag" for removal

So Im changing the torque converter and when I removed the cross member, the tail housing of the trans literally dropped 2 inches... If that.
I disconnected the y pipe from the headers and got a couple more. Still couldn't even get the torque arm bracket off. I'm renting a stall with a lift at the diy garage down the street, so I'll be back in the morning, hopefully to finish it armed with ideas from you fine gents lol.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

what exactly are you asking?? If you need new motor mounts so the engine doesnt sag??

I'm confused... but then again its been a long day lol
Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need 4-6ft of extensions with taped swivel and a flashlight. Harbor freight sells extra long extensions for cheap.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ahhh yeah ok... multiple extensions and a swivel joint adapter to get to the top bolts on the transmission
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Im guessing he can't get the torque arm removed.

Quickest way, remove the 6 bolts on the tail shaft.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I apologize, my description wasn't good enough.
When I dropped the cross member, the trans stayed tucked up in the tunnel. It didn't tilt down. It dropped a couple inches maybe. After I disconnected the y pipe, I got a couple more inches. The end of the trans is barely below the plane of the floor. The top bolt of the torque arm bracket is still in the tail housing. The more pressing issue is that the top Bell housing bolt is not even exposed.
It's not bound up on anything. I grabbed the tail housing and can move the whole works around.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fah Cue
I apologize, my description wasn't good enough.
When I dropped the cross member, the trans stayed tucked up in the tunnel. It didn't tilt down. It dropped a couple inches maybe. After I disconnected the y pipe, I got a couple more inches. The end of the trans is barely below the plane of the floor. The top bolt of the torque arm bracket is still in the tail housing. The more pressing issue is that the top Bell housing bolt is not even exposed.
Did you disconnect your cai depending on what you have?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Did you disconnect your cai depending on what you have?

Just an SLP lid. I didn't disconnect anything from up top, except for the battery
Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Just an SLP lid. I didn't disconnect anything from up top, except for the battery
Shift cable
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Shift cable
Check on that as well.
I watched along with this video as I did it step by step
Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

You need to disconnect the cai.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Launching!

You need to disconnect the cai.
Roger that. Hopefully it does it.
Loosening the motor mounts looks to be fun.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

The more pressing issue is that the top Bell housing bolt is not even exposed.
You need to remove the transmission from the bell housing with the long extensions and wobble bars (or swivel adapters) first and then remove the bell housing as a separate piece. Even with stock mounts, the transmission can't come off with the bell housing attached and the sheet metal under the car unscathed.

I just fought with my manual transmission for 3 hours to get it off the car with the bell housing attached. I got clued into the trick after taking the time to sit down and watch the videos. Once I started dealing with the bell housing as a separate piece, everything clicked together with no problem.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

It's not dipping because of the torque arm. Even if you get the final bell housing bolt out it won't dip because of the torque arm. Take the rear 2 bolts out of the torque arm if need be.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

since you put in poly mounts.....it wont sag 5 inches like it did with the worn out rubber mounts....you are lucky to get 1 inch of sag........ask me how i know
Old 10-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You need to remove the transmission from the bell housing with the long extensions and wobble bars (or swivel adapters) first and then remove the bell housing as a separate piece. Even with stock mounts, the transmission can't come off with the bell housing attached and the sheet metal under the car unscathed.

I just fought with my manual transmission for 3 hours to get it off the car with the bell housing attached. I got clued into the trick after taking the time to sit down and watch the videos. Once I started dealing with the bell housing as a separate piece, everything clicked together with no problem.
This is an auto car. Not sure if there's that much difference, but I got it out with the bell attached.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
It's not dipping because of the torque arm. Even if you get the final bell housing bolt out it won't dip because of the torque arm. Take the rear 2 bolts out of the torque arm if need be.
I disconnected there TA from the front, took off the clamshell bracket, and the TA went up against the tunnel, completely out of the way.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
since you put in poly mounts.....it wont sag 5 inches like it did with the worn out rubber mounts....you are lucky to get 1 inch of sag........ask me how i know
Pretty much what happened. I had to loosen the motor mounts to get it to sag enough. Still wasn't as much as really would of liked, but I got to the bolts and got it out.

It was a project that's for sure. The pullout spacing was to much, so I had to put in washers to get the gap right. I also replaced the shifter cable while I was under there. Side note, the starter is 18 years old and is on its way out. When I put it back in, all I got was solenoid click from the starter. So I got under there, hit it a few times with a rubber mallet and well, it worked lol.

I tell you what. Just the part throttle cruising and the little gassing I gave it: it's wayyyy peppier then before. This converter really woke it up. Can't wait to really put my foot to it.
Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

This is an auto car. Not sure if there's that much difference, but I got it out with the bell attached.
Yep, as did I. The physics are the same and the transmission will not go back in with the bell attached because you don't have the weight of the transmission hanging on the engine to tilt it.

If you install the bell housing and then the transmission in two steps to put it back on and then everything should snap back together like Legos.

Quick Reply: Poly motor mounts, trans won't "sag" for removal