General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Best Options for an AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Best Options for an AC Compressor

What's our best options for an AC comp? I'm starting to piece together a new system since mine is shot so looking for options.

Lets just get the typical question out of the way, first, lol... are the Advanced, Autozone, OReily's, Napa, Pep Boys, compressors any good?

Now that that's out of the way, what's our best option and who has the best price?

Should I go new or does someone out there make a solid reman?

Any parts interchangeable from other vehicles, like from the Vette, GTO, or Truck?

Does anyone make a full kit?

02 T/A vert

Last edited by RONIN LSX; 10-09-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found this thread from 2015; it lists the OEM system components, but it seems that a few of the P/Ns are dead, seeing how some won't pull on Amazon or Summit.

I can't find an updated list, with superseded P/Ns, does anyone have a list?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...placement.html

Last edited by RONIN LSX; 10-09-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at replacing my a/c compressor before it goes **** up. Rockauto has kits available but who knows the quality

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,17507
The following users liked this post:
RONIN LSX (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I bought one off of Rock auto and had a shop install it in the spring. It is so cold it hurts and i haven't had a single issue with it (knocks on wood lol)
RONIN LSX (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 350TPI
I bought one off of Rock auto and had a shop install it in the spring. It is so cold it hurts and i haven't had a single issue with it (knocks on wood lol)

Which one did you go with? Did you get a complete kit?
Old 10-29-2021, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I did buy the entire kit and it was the GPD kit.
RONIN LSX (10-29-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a kit on ebay and tuned it to blow around 29 degrees. Super quiet and came with everything (and extras) I needed.

It's currently 250 shipped. Comes with compressor, dryer/accumulator, oil, orifice tube and o rings. It's part KT 3705 from oe_replacement

Just my personal experience but it's been a great purchase so far.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fabian
I bought a kit on ebay and tuned it to blow around 29 degrees. Super quiet and came with everything (and extras) I needed.

It's currently 250 shipped. Comes with compressor, dryer/accumulator, oil, orifice tube and o rings. It's part KT 3705 from oe_replacement

Thanks for the info.

What do you mean you tuned it?

How long have you had it?
Old 11-01-2021, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Rolling with same compressor and dryer on the 01 but I've never seen 29° on the thermometer..Rockauto has always had better prices than my local part stores and I've saved money as a result. Parts and Labor isn't cheap, especially when the ones providing the labor mark up the price of the parts. Saved my daughter nearly $600 at NTB.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Thanks for the info.

What do you mean you tuned it?

How long have you had it?
I'm actually a licensed HVAC guy (for residential and commercial) but the principals are the same. When I removed the old stuff, I measured to within a quarter of an ounce the amount of oil I removed so I'd know how much PAG to re introduce. I also used a micron guage when pulling an evacuation on the system to remove as much moisture as absolutely possible before charging the system. Being that an auto system is not hermetically sealed the way a traditional system in a home or building is as well as the utilization of rubber hoses and gaskets, these systems can't be pulled as low as a house either but you can still pull a deep evac. I used the same superheat calculations to dial in the exact amount of refrigerant the system needed and would efficiently use (used dry bulb on outside ambient air to work in the calculations) etc etc.

Does all of this have to be done? Probably not. I've had to repair cars and work trucks before on a very tight schedule and they come out just fine. Just remove as much oil as you can, clear the lines front to back, clear out the evaporator and the condenser coils if you're not replacing them, add the necessary oil to the compressor and the rest in the accumulator (the instructions will give you the ratio or oz amount).

Make sure you put a nice long nitrogen charge to leak check (bonus, nitrogen removed moisture too). If no leaks are detected, pull a good deep evac on the system. With the pressure still negative, start adding the refrigerant (have the AC set to MAX and the windows down) and bam you're done. I did it the way I did it because....well, because I have all the equipment and know how but I assure you just following the basics and putting the ballpark amount of oil and refrigerant will work for you just fine. I've only had the system about a year, but again I have done the same process on many other vehicles without being as **** and they still blow cold af too.

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Rolling with same compressor and dryer on the 01 but I've never seen 29° on the thermometer..Rockauto has always had better prices than my local part stores and I've saved money as a result. Parts and Labor isn't cheap, especially when the ones providing the labor mark up the price of the parts. Saved my daughter nearly $600 at NTB.
Honestly even 40 degrees is pretty damn cold. When I run my AC I keep it on low. I don't like it this cold myself.

RONIN LSX (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Be throwing snowballs..
RONIN LSX (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm actually a licensed HVAC guy (for residential and commercial) but the principals are the same. When I removed the old stuff, I measured to within a quarter of an ounce the amount of oil I removed so I'd know how much PAG to re introduce. I also used a micron guage when pulling an evacuation on the system to remove as much moisture as absolutely possible before charging the system. Being that an auto system is not hermetically sealed the way a traditional system in a home or building is as well as the utilization of rubber hoses and gaskets, these systems can't be pulled as low as a house either but you can still pull a deep evac. I used the same superheat calculations to dial in the exact amount of refrigerant the system needed and would efficiently use (used dry bulb on outside ambient air to work in the calculations) etc etc.

Does all of this have to be done? Probably not. I've had to repair cars and work trucks before on a very tight schedule and they come out just fine. Just remove as much oil as you can, clear the lines front to back, clear out the evaporator and the condenser coils if you're not replacing them, add the necessary oil to the compressor and the rest in the accumulator (the instructions will give you the ratio or oz amount).

Make sure you put a nice long nitrogen charge to leak check (bonus, nitrogen removed moisture too). If no leaks are detected, pull a good deep evac on the system. With the pressure still negative, start adding the refrigerant (have the AC set to MAX and the windows down) and bam you're done. I did it the way I did it because....well, because I have all the equipment and know how but I assure you just following the basics and putting the ballpark amount of oil and refrigerant will work for you just fine. I've only had the system about a year, but again I have done the same process on many other vehicles without being as **** and they still blow cold af too.

Honestly even 40 degrees is pretty damn cold. When I run my AC I keep it on low. I don't like it this cold myself.

I would have never thought that I'd be wanting to drive 1700 miles, just to have my A/C swapped and charge lol
Old 11-01-2021, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Be throwing snowballs..
Seriously. I usually don't dial them in this far but since it was my own car I was able to spend the time needed to test with a specific ambient air, humidity etc etc. With that said, just doing the faster method I'm still in the high 30s. The important part is just making sure the system is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN before adding refrigerant. It is absolutely NOT needed to sit here like an ******* like I did with a clamp on the suction side measuring the temp while converting it on the guages and then adding ounce by ounce until the readings were spot on lol

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I would have never thought that I'd be wanting to drive 1700 miles, just to have my A/C swapped and charge lol
If you're planning on doing it yourself, I'm sure you can manage. I can help with any questions or whatever. Sourcing the extra stuff might be the bigger issue for you. Having someone that has a nitrogen setup, guages etc. So with that said, I don't even have a clue how much this kind of work would cost if you have to take it to a shop. But, the cost can end up being worth it if you don't have the tools and equipment because that stuff isn't cheap and you might end up only using on this one job.
RONIN LSX (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

Ronin could make a fortune working on F150 AC units. They aren't very cold.
RONIN LSX (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Best Options for an AC Compressor