General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'00 Z28 - Intermittent ASR OFF, BRAKE, ABS INOP Lights, C0550

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '00 Z28 - Intermittent ASR OFF, BRAKE, ABS INOP Lights, C0550

Hey y'all,

I better address this before I enter a situation where I need ABS. This concerns my 2000 Camaro Z28, 6-speed. At random points either while driving or when initially turning the car on, the ASR OFF, BRAKE, and ABS INOP lights will illuminate and stay on until I turn off the car. Sometimes turning the car off and back on again will make the lights go away until they decide to come on again. Whenever they're illuminated, C0550 ("ECU Malfunction") is stored in the ABS codes as current. I also have C0896 ("Device Voltage Range/Performance"), but as a history code and not a current code. Every once in a while, the lights will start to come on and then they'll go back off. I've pulled the BCM to look for potential loose solder joints, but everything on the circuit board was intact. Anyone have any theories?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungP71dude
Whenever they're illuminated, C0550 ("ECU Malfunction") is stored in the ABS codes as current.
This is a code for the ABS module, so checking out the BCM (different module) won't turn anything up. You could have a faulty ABS computer.

There should be codes in the ABS module and PCM but our BCM doesn't have them. (Newer cars will have more computers and other modules with codes.)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Would you have any way of diagnosing this, such as probing leads with a multimeter? And if so, could it be fixed with resoldering joints or is it such that a full module replacement is in order (which sounds painful because brake bleeding)?
Old 09-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Might be this:

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk#317
Does anyone know what would make the ABS INOP, PARKING BRAKE, and the TCS OFF lights in the dash come on? It is very sporadic and it seems to come on and go off as it pleases. Not sure the issue but seeing if anyone else is having this issue.
Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
I'm having the same issue, ABS INOP, BRAKE, and TCS OFF, lights on. Codes C0550 = ECU Malfunction Probable Cause; Failed EBCM (TCS)
& C0896 Out Of Range Voltage At The EBTCM Probable Causes; Charging system fault, Open or short circuit condition, Poor electrical connection, Failed relay condition, Ignition switch fault.

I'm the original owner and I'm at 137,000 miles. I have had the above codes come on and off for a couple of months, and have since replaced the front wheel hub assembly's that included wheel sensors, replaced alternator, and "just" cleaned the rear sensors for the first time, one had a strand of wire stuck to it (wire not in photo below).

Cleared codes, I'll have to drive it for about a week and see if codes come back, hopefully it was just the dirty rear sensors.

ABS Trouble Code Search
http://www.wellsve.com/custom_search...45&Submit.y=18

2000 F-Body DTC's
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewforum36.php

Cleaning the sensors didn't help, I'm getting the same issues. Is there any place that sells new or re-manufactured EBCM Electronic Brake Control Modules for a reasonable price?

Manufacturer: AC Delco
UPC: 707773298091
P/N 12457657 - Electronic Brake Control Module Kit
$620.75

Top three aluminum wires were broken (2nd & 3rd photo), lights would come on after engine bay got hot. I used silver epoxy, and added silicone sealant on those three wires. No problems since, You need a steady hand and a microscope to do this.

The following users liked this post:
wssix99 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Alright, so I started taking a shot at looking at my EBCM. I got it off the ABS pump, but how am I supposed to separate that plastic cover covering the circuit board without breaking something?

Quick Reply: '00 Z28 - Intermittent ASR OFF, BRAKE, ABS INOP Lights, C0550