General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this Amsoil like Techron?? Worse or Better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I will say this about Redline. My 12 Ram Hemi had never had anything run through the system. I had run 89 for the most part. It was getting real sluggish around the 140k mark. It had a fresh tune up and all new fluids. Anyways a buddy of mine over on the ram forum told me to try redline fuel and I did. Within just a few miles you could tell a difference and it went right back to where it was. It is good stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Treburkulosis:
NC01TA (06-26-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
They say the PEA is where the magic happens. It can withstand higher temps than the other chemicals so it doesn’t get burned up before it has a chance to clean.
Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
I will say this about Redline. My 12 Ram Hemi had never had anything run through the system. I had run 89 for the most part. It was getting real sluggish around the 140k mark. It had a fresh tune up and all new fluids. Anyways a buddy of mine over on the ram forum told me to try redline fuel and I did. Within just a few miles you could tell a difference and it went right back to where it was. It is good stuff.

This is why I always recommend Red Line to folks. I've had great results bringing neglected fuel systems back to life with this stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (06-26-2024), Treburkulosis (06-25-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

This is why I always recommend Red Line to folks. I've had great results bringing neglected fuel systems back to life with this stuff.
For testing purposes as I like to do I am going to test the Lubegard stuff since all of their other products are top tier. They are an honest company as well. If it doesnt work in the Z, then I will put redline in it.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Techron also has PEA. The guys on bobistheoilguy.com argue about the percentage per volume often.
Techron Complete, Gumout Regane, and Royal Purples fuel cleaners all contain PEA. Techron High Mile is a “weaker” cleaner than the “Complete” fwiw.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do y’all run the cleaners in a full tank or no? Sometimes I will and sometimes I won’t. Sometimes I’ll add it to a 1/4 tank. I can’t say if one way is better or not though. I wonder how redline would do if it’s injected through the rail?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-25-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Do y’all run the cleaners in a full tank or no? Sometimes I will and sometimes I won’t. Sometimes I’ll add it to a 1/4 tank. I can’t say if one way is better or not though. I wonder how redline would do if it’s injected through the rail?
I add a full bottle to either a full tank or a half tank depending on how rigorous of a clean-up I need. For my limited use vehicles though, I use about 1/5-1/6 ounce per gallon of gas every time I fill the tank (which is only about once or twice per year). This was the recommendation from Red Line for a continual use scenario. All I can say is, I haven't rebuilt the Holley on my Nova for 15+ years and it still works perfect, in spite of only being able to get E10 fuel in my area. Other folks complain about needing regular rebuilds using E10 fuels, but I haven't had any such trouble - maybe it's just luck, or maybe it's the continual dose of Red Line.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (06-26-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 04:56 PM
Launching!

I have always run it on a full tank. I will do it on a fill up. Like right now I need to get gas in the Camaro, but my Lubegard doesn't get here until tomorrow, so I will have to get gas on Thursday. I put their Platinum Transmission Protectant in both the Flex and the Camaro. I haven't driven the Camaro yet, but the Flex shifts so nicely now. It only has 21k but I am really liking the results.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I put a bottle in with a half a tank or full tank and tend to stick with Seafoam. Sunday I put a bottle of Seafoam and a bottle of Redline in on a half a tank of 93.
Treburkulosis (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

One time I was having problems passing emissions in a ‘95 Mustang due to the HC’s being too high. I was able to pass by adding a gallon of denatured alcohol to a little over a 1/4 tank of 87 octane right before heading up to take the test. The HC’s dropped dramatically and it didn’t run bad at all. I was nervous though because the motor has a supercharger on it and It’s OBDI with no knock sensor so the ecu can’t tune for octane on its own and it’s tuned for 93. It has an MSD box with a timing retard **** deal.
I filled up with 93 right after the test and all was well. Can’t pass the sniffer? Maybe try some denatured alcohol.
The ingredients in the cleaners are mostly regular ole stuff. A lot are kerosene based and a lot naphtha, and some isopropyl. One or probably many, injector cleaners that are designed to be ran through the fuel rail with the fuel pump relay pulled is primarily kerosene. The instructions on that one don’t even say to mix it with gas. So what’s that mean? If you’re in a pinch your gas motor will run on kerosene. For a little while at least 😂

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-25-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Finkledbody (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:57 AM
Launching!

One time I was having problems passing emissions in a ‘95 Mustang due to the HC’s being too high. I was able to pass by adding a gallon of denatured alcohol to a little over a 1/4 tank of 87 octane right before heading up to take the test. The HC’s dropped dramatically and it didn’t run bad at all. I was nervous though because the motor has a supercharger on it and It’s OBDI with no knock sensor so the ecu can’t tune for octane on its own and it’s tuned for 93. It has an MSD box with a timing retard **** deal.
I filled up with 93 right after the test and all was well. Can’t pass the sniffer? Maybe try some denatured alcohol.
The ingredients in the cleaners are mostly regular ole stuff. A lot are kerosene based and a lot naphtha, and some isopropyl. One or probably many, injector cleaners that are designed to be ran through the fuel rail with the fuel pump relay pulled is primarily kerosene. The instructions on that one don’t even say to mix it with gas. So what’s that mean? If you’re in a pinch your gas motor will run on kerosene. For a little while at least 😂
I dont miss the days of trying to get Foxbodies inspected. They would barely pass stock lol.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I put in cleaners on a 1/4 tank and run it to help break up any much in the bottom of the tank. I am pretty sure I have a plastic tank so no metal deposits are a concern, just the running low on gas keeping the pump cool. As long as my car sat and the condition of the fuel filter when it was replaced (first time it was replaced was right after I got the car) I figure it needs attention.
Treburkulosis (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by jybravo70
I am pretty sure I have a plastic tank so no metal deposits are a concern, just the running low on gas keeping the pump cool.
Yes, your 2002 is a plastic tank (16.8 gallon). 1998 was the final year for the metal tank (15.5 gallon).
Old 06-26-2024, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont miss the days of trying to get Foxbodies inspected. They would barely pass stock lol.
Man I know it.. It finally turned old enough to be emissions exempt.
Treburkulosis (06-27-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Seafoam Experiment

Today I ran a 50/50 mix of Seafoam and gas (2 oz each) in my push mower to see what a 50/50 mix would do. It usually starts on the first pull but with the 50/50 mix it took two pulls and and it started up slowly. Once it was running it didn’t sputter or misfire, all seemed normal at first. But when I started mowing I noticed that the power was reduced because the motor was bogging down in the tall grass where it wasn’t prior to the 50/50 mix. It wasn’t bogging down to where it would kill it but you could tell that it was struggling to get through the grass. I mowed like that for a little while and decided I’d better add some more gas to the mix. When I added more gas the mowers tank was pretty close to empty. Generally it wouldn't have used that much fuel in that short period of time. After the fresh mostly gas mix was in it blazed right through the tall grass without batting an eyelash. Apparently too much Seafoam (Naphtha/paint thinner) will make for poor combustion. So if you pour in 8 gallons of Seafoam prior to filling up your 4th Gen’s tank it’ll probably run ok but your 1/4 mile time will be slower.
Treburkulosis (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

I haven't seen amsoil let us know how it does. I would like to try it in my wifes Jeep if it works well.
Getting back with you. Nothing to report. It's just a 'maintenance' thing with me. Unknown if I'm wasting $10 every year (actually $30 with 3 cars) or if I'm actually helping the fuel system stay clean. I use top tier gas so maybe it's a waste but I'll keep doing the once a year thing anyway. Old habits die hard. I still haven't shaken off the oil changes every 2,000 miles routine..
Old 07-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Getting back with you. Nothing to report. It's just a 'maintenance' thing with me. Unknown if I'm wasting $10 every year (actually $30 with 3 cars) or if I'm actually helping the fuel system stay clean. I use top tier gas so maybe it's a waste but I'll keep doing the once a year thing anyway. Old habits die hard. I still haven't shaken off the oil changes every 2,000 miles routine..
It can't hurt it. I did a 2 hour round trip in the Camaro on Saturday with the Lubegard biotech in the oil, Kool it in the coolant, the transmission platinum protectant, and there octane cleaner. The car has never ran better. The transmission feels so much better. The motor just like all the rest of my vehicles that I have put it in is quiet and smooth.It looks like I lost about 5 degrees on the temp. With all of that being said its hard to tell if the octane cleaner did anything lol. I am sure it did. Lubegard makes some superior products.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Old habits die hard. I still haven't shaken off the oil changes every 2,000 miles routine..
If I waited 2,000 miles to change oil in any of my "toys", it would be a 6-7 year change interval. Well, I do drive the '74 a bit more, so maybe 4-5 years for that one.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:14 PM
Launching!

If I waited 2,000 miles to change oil in any of my "toys", it would be a 6-7 year change interval. Well, I do drive the '74 a bit more, so maybe 4-5 years for that one.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

It can't hurt it. I did a 2 hour round trip in the Camaro on Saturday with the Lubegard biotech in the oil, Kool it in the coolant, the transmission platinum protectant, and there octane cleaner. The car has never ran better. The transmission feels so much better. The motor just like all the rest of my vehicles that I have put it in is quiet and smooth.It looks like I lost about 5 degrees on the temp. With all of that being said its hard to tell if the octane cleaner did anything lol. I am sure it did. Lubegard makes some superior products.
I found a virgin oil analysis for the Biotech. It mainly contains Phosphorus, Calcium, and Molybdenum. I think the “bio” part is because the base oil might be made out of something plant based. That or their “LXE technology” esters are. I’ve used it once before in two different vehicles. I can’t say if it made a positive difference or not but maybe it did. There was possibly less valvetrain noise but maybe not. It was added after an oil change so the results may have been skewed by the fresh oil.
It’s hard to find an analysis on the ATF additives. I once read that the red bottle is phosphorous, boron, & calcium along with ATF esq base fluid and their “esters.” I’ve used the “Red” and the Platinum as well as the “Shudder Fix.” The results were ok to so-so. Nothing bad happened and maybe something positive happened.
Biotech VOA.

Treburkulosis (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Is this Amsoil like Techron?? Worse or Better?